Home Ratings & Reviews

Rocky Patel 15th Anniversary corona

I was invited by Sandman to a RP event today showcasing the new 15th Anniversary blend - can't pass that up, right? We talked with the rep for a bit and he described the 15th Anniversary as a full bodied, spicy but smooth cigar. From the hype/advertising on this one it is supposed to be more complex than the Decade and a bit more full bodied - sounds like it's right up my alley.

So both Tony and I smoked the Corona vitola. It is box pressed, has a really gorgeous looking Ecuadorian habano wrapper - darker in color than I expected, and definitely toothy. It felt good in the hand, nice heft to it with no soft spots.

Immediately after lighting it up, I was thinking that this could develop well into a great cigar - it had a strong, full flavor to it and I could tell it would live up to the "full bodied" description. Unfortunately, that is about all the compliments I can give this one. After a few minutes, you could taste a really heavy Nicaraguan ligero flavor - tobacco and some black pepper, and that was about it. The flavor never developed any complexity and both of us kept talking about how bored we were smoking this.

Another guy joined us in the lounge with the torpedo and lit his up. He let us know over the next hour and some that he was getting the same flavor of pepper and tobacco that we got. Unfortunate. All three of us were very unimpressed. Tony put his down early, but I felt it was my manly duty to smoke this one the whole way since I paid $11 for it, ha! The guy smoking the torpedo was laughing at me saying "Keep going, man! Maybe the last third will pick up!" Nope, it never did.

For what it's worth, I'm really not all that into Rocky Patel, but I feel we all gave it a fair shot. I was really looking forward to trying this one, and sadly the result was not anywhere even close to the expectation. I will definitely not be purchasing any in the near future. Perhaps I will revisit this one at a later date, but I'm not rushing out to try it again.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    TatuajeVI:
    It felt good in the hand, nice heft to it with no soft spots.
    That's what she said :p

Good review; thanks for the heads up/preview :)
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    xmacro:
    TatuajeVI:
    It felt good in the hand, nice heft to it with no soft spots.
    That's what she said :p

Good review; thanks for the heads up/preview :)
    lol. I set myself up for that one!
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    with all due respect, i will be trying one of these myself :-) I'm a huge rocky fan and I cant wait to try one of these bad boys.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Big T smokes:
    with all due respect, i will be trying one of these myself :-) I'm a huge rocky fan and I cant wait to try one of these bad boys.
    I'll respect you!
    J/k. I want others to try it. Maybe you'll love it and I'll reconsider. Let me know when u do.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    They have them at my B&M for $10 and I'm curious, but not in any hurry to try it out.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Duder2:
    They have them at my B&M for $10 and I'm curious, but not in any hurry to try it out.
    I love RP cigars, but from the description and the reviews Im hearing, Im prolly gonna pass this one up. I do want to try the Decade SE w the Maduro wrapper.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Fourtotheflush:
    Duder2:
    I love RP cigars, but from the description and the reviews Im hearing, Im prolly gonna pass this one up. I do want to try the Decade SE w the Maduro wrapper.
    I smoked the Decade Edicion Limitado with the Pennsylvania broadleaf wrapper last night. It was ok (not very complex at all), but halfway through, the cap came off and the entire wrapper came off in one piece. The B&M manager did make it right and gave me another one for free and I took it home and put it in the humi for some age. I'm not going to give a real opinion on this until I smoke it since I had problems with the construction on that one and I was a lil buzzed when I smoked it.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    If experience with RP is anything to go by there will probably be one particular vitola that is considered really good compared to the rest. Probably the toro or torp.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    bummer, i've been looking forward to trying the 15th. I am a fan of RP, so I guess I'm still gonna try it and see...maybe some age might help it...you would have thought as much time as he said he put into the cigar, it would be getting some better reviews.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Krieg:
    bummer, i've been looking forward to trying the 15th. I am a fan of RP, so I guess I'm still gonna try it and see...maybe some age might help it...you would have thought as much time as he said he put into the cigar, it would be getting some better reviews.
    I actually enjoyed the 15th (robusto), my palate isn't as developed as most of yours is, but I really enjoyed this cigar and will buy more if/when the opportunity arises.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I want to like RP because I think the Decade is amazing but nothing else seems to live up to it.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Goldy:
    I want to like RP because I think the Decade is amazing but nothing else seems to live up to it.
    Have you tried their Sun Grown or Double Maduro bro? Both are very good IMHO.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    The Sniper:
    Goldy:
    I love the Decade and the 90 & 92 are great cigars, if you can get a deal on them. I really like the RP CT. I really dont care for the sungrown or the edge series.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    The decades are quite good fresh, but not so great with any age on them, imo. I have a bunch I'd like to trade if anyone wants them.
    The Sniper:
    Goldy:
    +1, I actually smoked a RP Sun Grown last night, great cigar. never had the double maduro.

"Long ashes my friends."

cabinetmaker:
    The decades are quite good fresh, but not so great with any age on them, imo. I have a bunch I'd like to trade if anyone wants them.
    what vitola are they?

"Long ashes my friends."

Torpedo and lancero.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I am a fan of Rocky stuff, most everything I have had from him had good flavor and was well made. I have no less than 13 different labels in my humi that are Rocky blends. I still like AJ stuff better, but I will smoke a RP anyday of the week.
  • bigjohn125bigjohn125 Posts: 476
    cabinetmaker:
    Torpedo and lancero.
    PM sent
    replied.
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    I just got 5 RP 15th anniverary toro press boxes today. i think these look great. they are really soft . so they are in the humi for a little aging. hope they are good
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    oh boy...hope u didnt pay a arm and leg for...cuz someone on this site on saturday has a deal...mmm..i wonder who lol...pm me vegas!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Trying the Corona Gorda right now. Definitely full bodied. Not much going on flavor wise. Some spice, but that's about it. Some burn issues. Not worth the price point IMHO.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..