Home General Discussion

New cigar launch

I know Macanudo is not a fovorite brand on this forum but still thought some might find this interesting in case there are any B&M events in their area. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- What may well be the most intense launch campaign ever undertaken for a new cigar brand will get started in two smokeshops on September 18. That's when the Macanudo 1968 National Tasting Tour will start at Jungle Jim's of Fairfield, Ohio and at Liberty Smokes in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. They are the first two of an incredible 450 in-store events that will take place in just 22 days to promote this new version of the venerable Macanudo brand, now celebrating its 40th anniversary in the hands of General Cigar. The Tour will visit shops in 41 states over three weeks with six states slated for 20 or more events: 40 in New York, 39 in Florida, 37 in Texas, 24 in Illinois, 24 in Pennsylvania and 22 in California. Michigan is scheduled for 19 events and the Tour will end (for now) on October 9 at The Tasting Room in Minona, Wisconsin. General's campaign reaches far beyond stores with advertising in magazines with a strong audience of adult men, including Esquire, Golf Digest, Men's Journal, Playboy, Yachting and others. The cigar itself is the only Macanudo which does not use a Connecticut-grown wrapper; instead, it features an extra-dark Honduran-grown San Augustin wrapper with a Connecticut-grown Habano binder. The filler tobaccos are from the Dominican Republic and from the Nicaraguan island of Ometepe. It's a limited-production brand that is offered in four sizes: Churchill (7 inches by 49 ring), Toro (6 x 54), Robusto (5 x 50) and Gigante (6 x 60), all in boxes of 20. Retail pricing runs from $8.50 to $11.00 each, not including local sales and tobacco taxes.

Comments

• BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    Do you have the link for your source on this article? im interested in reading further. ive only had one macanudo which was the hyde park and i really enjoyed it. im curious to see if there is a show in LA and how these shows work.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Pilot, you plan to go to one of the ones around here? I'm probably gonna go to the one in Metairie. I got an invite to the one uptown too, but I think I have somethiing else going on that day.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Thanks for the tip!
    This is at cigarmasters in Boston tomorrow and I may stop in.....
    I wouldnt even have known about it if not for this post. ..... BTW What does B&M stand for?
    Fourtotheflush:
    BTW What does B&M stand for?
    Possibly the single most frequently asked question on this forum. B&M stands for Brick and Mortar, in reference to any physical store, as opposed to an online merchant.
  • I get to go to this on the 28. I'm pretty excited for it.
  • BigDan.:
    Do you have the link for your source on this article? im interested in reading further. ive only had one macanudo which was the hyde park and i really enjoyed it. im curious to see if there is a show in LA and how these shows work.
    Cigarreportdaily.com is the site I found this on just surfing around. sorry I didn't copy the link but you can probably find it.
  • Scrambler:
    Pilot, you plan to go to one of the ones around here? I'm probably gonna go to the one in Metairie. I got an invite to the one uptown too, but I think I have somethiing else going on that day.
    I'd like to go if I am in town. Which stores and dates are they doing locally?
    Oct 1 is the Don Juan in Metairie, Oct 4 is Mayan Import Co on Magazine. I think the event is 5-8pm at both places.
    Just a heads up, Rocky Patel himself will be at all 3 of the Don Juan locations later in October too. (Westbank on the 22nd, Metairie the 23rd, Baton Rouge the 24th)
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Oct 2nd is by me... if I can sneak outta work for a long lunch I'll swing by!
  • Scrambler:
    Just a heads up, Rocky Patel himself will be at all 3 of the Don Juan locations later in October too. (Westbank on the 22nd, Metairie the 23rd, Baton Rouge the 24th)
    Unfortunately I will be out of town working on all these dates. Bummer, I would have gone for sure. Where did you get these dates? Possibly other dates I could make? Thanks.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    If anyone has one of these I'd be curious to see how it is. Mac's are typically just so light and bland it'd be cool if they came out with something with some flavor.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    If anyone has one of these I'd be curious to see how it is. Mac's are typically just so light and bland it'd be cool if they came out with something with some flavor.
    I'll see what they have to offer and post a review if I go
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    madurofan:
    I'll see what they have to offer and post a review if I go
    Sounds good bro
  • EJS54EJS54 Posts: 12
    I just had one of their new 1968's this evening ( the robusto to be more specific) and they are amazing. Its pretty much a Macanudo Maduro with a kick, in simple terms. They are pricey but you get what you pay for.

--Eric
    Glad you liked it.
    I went to an event Monday night and didnt care for this cigar at all.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    This is at cigarmasters in Boston tomorrow and I may stop in.....

Didn't realize you were up here in MA. Have you tried any of the other local cigar bars? Stanza in the North End or Victory Cigar in Sudbury? Victory is a great place - reasonable prices, full bar and they let you order food from the local take out places.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

For anyone interested in trying the new Macanudo 1968 they have a special offer where you can get a robusto, a toro and a churchill dlvd for $9.95. If it is alright to post the offer website let me know and I will put it up.

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:

For anyone interested in trying the new Macanudo 1968 they have a special offer where you can get a robusto, a toro and a churchill dlvd for $9.95. If it is alright to post the offer website let me know and I will put it up.

You can just google search macanudo 1968 and the site comes up first.
    [Didn't realize you were up here in MA. Have you tried any of the other local cigar bars? Stanza in the North End or Victory Cigar in Sudbury? Victory is a great place - reasonable prices, full bar and they let you order food from the local take out places. ]

No, Ive never been to those places. I heard of stanza. Never been to victory as that is a little bit out of the way for me
    Im right outside boston, so masters is usually the place I tend to hit.
  • Rob1110:

You can just google search macanudo 1968 and the site comes up first.

Yeah, the site is http://www.macanudo1968.com/

While supplies last you can pick up three for $7.95. There was an add in Cigar Aficionado about them.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've never had a Mac, and 3 for $10 ( that's with shipping added ) isn't a bad price at all, so I figured I'd give it a go.