Home Cigar 101

salt test 4 0r 6 hours

kos22uskos22us Posts: 47
i bought a new digital hygrometer because my current one (little havana) is off by about 9 degrees and cannot be calibrated, i got a xikar slim retangular one that can be calibrated, my question is 4 or 6 hours on the salt test ? thanks for all the answers on my previous posts they been a huge help thanks ... Jack in PA

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kos22us:
    i bought a new digital hygrometer because my current one (little havana) is off by about 9 degrees and cannot be calibrated, i got a xikar slim retangular one that can be calibrated, my question is 4 or 6 hours on the salt test ? thanks for all the answers on my previous posts they been a huge help thanks ... Jack in PA
    More like 24 or 36 hours to be certain. Really.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    kos22us:
    ... in a constant temperature, out of sunlight.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    kos22us:
    And remember not to get the salt on the hygrometer.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    wwhwang:
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    kos22us:
    +1 to all the above. I also like to put a beer bottle cap of dry salt in with 3 or 4 bottle caps of wet salt as a control (I always over-wet the salt anyway, so the dry salt helps undo a bit of my mistake)
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    wwhwang:
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    kos22us:
    +1 to all the above. I also like to put a beer bottle cap of dry salt in with 3 or 4 bottle caps of wet salt as a control (I always over-wet the salt anyway, so the dry salt helps undo a bit of my mistake)
    Hmmmmmmm.... I always think I'm not doing the salt right... this is a different approach that I may have to try next time around
    lassy .... 3 parts salt and 1 part water. that should give you a nice "salt paste" that you need to get it done.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Boveda Packs is the only way to go..... Don't trust the salt test....
  • The Cank:
    I wouldn't go that far but they are way easier for sure, and reusable for 3 months.
    The Cank:
    ive trusted the salt for 5 or 6 years.
    eliminate variables. test twice.

id do the same for the boveda packets.
    ... i just save money and shipping time by using salt that is sitting around the house.
    im sure the boveda packs arent bad.
    everything is everything.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I have never had any luck with the salt test ( be it by my own fault with measuring salt to water mixture ) for 4 bucks why not use the Boveda ? However I do think someone has come up with an exact recipe for the salt test which I am going to try next time. But either way you do it make sure you do it twice.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    lassy .... 3 parts salt and 1 part water. that should give you a nice "salt paste" that you need to get it done.
    I know, and that's what I do... but I always freak a little that it's not "RIGHT"

I always get the 75% I need, but the 24 hours up to it makes me nervous!