Home Ratings & Reviews

Nub Cameroon review

Ok, just got back from the Nub event in Columbus.  Great fun. It was cool to watch them being rolled.  I picked up 2 of each wrapper...and I also picked up two of my all time favorites the Maxx Curve (more on that later). 

I just finished smoking the Cameroon box press. (466).  I paid $6.60 for each Nub (and $7 for each Maxx).  The construction is fantastic and they are good looking little cigars.  I was excited to try one out and the flavor did not disappoint.  I love Cameroon wrapper.  The burn was perfect and the draw was also perfect.  So bottom line, this was an excellent cigar.  Not sure I buy into the theory behind the cigar but as long as it tastes good, who cares.

Now for the bad news.  I've read some reviews where people claim the smoke time for these is comparable to a normal size cigar.  Some claim they even got more than an hour out of their Nubs.  Based on the Nub I smoked, these claims are far from accurate.  I timed it to the minute and did everything possible to smoke it as long as possible.  Had to put it out just before burning my fingers (smoke was getting hot).  Total smoke time....31 minutes on the nose.  Unless I dipped it in water prior to smoking, I don' t see how I could have possible gotten more smoke time. 

Given the price of these cigars (admittedely, cigar.com has way better prices than what I paid), my conclusion is that it is a good cigar, but not quite sure it was worth the asking price.  Case in point, the Maxx Curve is huge.  Big ring and twice the length of the Nub for just a few cents more.  The Curve easily takes over an hour to smoke. 

Before anyone attacks me, I'm just pointing out the value argument so that this review is complete.  It is a great cigar, but at the end of the day, you just have to ask whether you're willing to pay $6 for a "short smoke."  I certainly enjoyed the smoke....I just wish it lasted twice as long.

Comments

• Thanks for that review. i look forward to trying the nub as soon as my shipment comes in. i'm also going to order the curve too and check it out. Great review.
  • emyers99emyers99 Posts: 15
    As a caveat to my review above, I think the Nubs I bought must have been a little dry when purchased because my smoke time seems much less than what others are experiencing.  So I'm going to let them sit in the humi for a week or so and I think that will get me to where I need to be. 
  • mintmanmintman Posts: 4

My box of these Cammie 466 Nubs arrived last Friday. My order included the free sampler, which is a very nice bonus.

So after leaving everything in my coolerdor for a couple of days, I tried both of the Cameroon samples.

The first sample was a pretty poor experience. The pre-light aroma wasn't good, so I knew I was in trouble already. Post-light just confirmed it. Good draw, but drawing yielded very little actual smoke production for the effort. The little smoke I did get was acrid. I couldn't finish it.

The second sample, a sample of the very stick contained in my sealed box, was better, but only marginally so.

Still very little smoke production despite an easy draw. For a stick with a huge ring gauge yet a very short length to produce so little actual smoke = bewildering.

The cameroon flavors were better but lacked any spice overtones. The wrapper had none of the characteristic "tooth" that a good cameroon wrapper should, so I wasn't surpised.

In conclusion, the whole "Nub" concept doesn't seem to work out in practice. The filler wasn't packed any tighter than any other cigar I've ever run across, the time involved burning it was as short as can be expected from a short cigar, and the flavor was definitely unimpressive.

In the end, I will most likely be returning my purchase... 

• phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    How long after you recevied your purchase did you wait to sample them? I find that if you let the cigars rest (at least 30 days; yeah I know a long time) they will do much better. Flat cigars will have their flavor and also draw better. Its just a thought. Thanks for sharing your experience

-Dave
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phisherman:
    How long after you recevied your purchase did you wait to sample them? I find that if you let the cigars rest (at least 30 days; yeah I know a long time) they will do much better. Flat cigars will have their flavor and also draw better. Its just a thought. Thanks for sharing your experience

-Dave
    i agree on resting a cigar. I aim for 6 weeks minimum. If i had my way (and i do) most cigars will rest at least 6 months before i smoke em.

phisherman:

-Dave

I didn't let them rest for nearly that long. I'm usually in that camp too, but I think these samples were beyond help.

However, I did break open my sealed box of Nub 466 cammies yesterday, and the sticks that came out of there were very different cigars.

Nubs are good after all =)

Unlike the samples, the two fresh ones I lit were very nice smokes. They both had great tobacco flavors, good draw with adequate amounts of smoke per puff, and altogether just a real treat.

Sometimes cigars just don't take well to being extracted from a box to be alone from their brothers, lol.

I've even had JR Ult Cabinets smoke fabulously right after breaking 'em out the box only to have the subsequent sticks worsen afterward.

I now plan on keeping these Nubs; I'm just hoping they continue to be as tasty as they were yesterday.

Anyway, I would have to recommend anyone buy a box of these after all.

kuzi16:
    i agree on resting a cigar. I aim for 6 weeks minimum. If i had my way (and i do) most cigars will rest at least 6 months before i smoke em.

Doing that as rule will leave you missing out on many cigars that smoke best straight away.

And in any case, my experience has been that aging/resting will never take bad tobacco and make it good. It can make a "good" cigar better but never "great."

But I suppose that that's a debate for another thread... 

• sestrichsestrich Posts: 1

I just got back from Orlando Florida where I found an ample supply of most of the new nub sizes and wrappers (no "habano").

I owned a cigar store for many years and smoke at least 3 "fine" cigars each day.

I also agree about having to "rest" new smokes for, IMHO, about 3 weeks in a properly maintained humidor.  I have many table tops around my home and 1 walk in humidor/wine cellar in my house. I, however, couldn't wait to at least try 1 of each size and wrapper that was available.

I have to say, I LOVE these cigars. Even without letting them mellow for a few weeks, they are a perfect size/smoke for a quick cigar of this ring guage.

As I write I am enjoying a 464T Cameroon. Lasts just under an hour.

I am pretty impressed now and I believe these will just get even better with a little age. 

• ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    It's great having all the reviews.....I'm finally going to get my chance to smoke some, my local B & M is having an Oliva tasting this Saturday.
  • CrimthannCrimthann Posts: 37
    I just smoked the Habano 466 from the box I got in yesterday and I think they're great. It had a nice even burn and the taste reminded me some of the V series. It took me 50 min to smoke it down to the last third and it burned out. Now I blame myself for that as I had company over that I was talking to so I was smoking it a little slow towards the end. I look forward to sitting down and smoking a whole stick undisturbed after they've rested a bit in my humi. I wouldn't consider this a short smoke though.

I do recommend this smoke & I love large ring cigars. It does make me wish I owned a cigar punch though. The 466 is waaay to big for my xikar cutter so I cut a hole with a knife :).
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I smoked a NUB Cameroon yesterday and was impressed.  I wouldn't call the cigar great but it was very good and as advertised was nearly the same from a puff or two after lighting it until I set it down.  I think that was the most impressive part to me.  I didn't buy their theory about being the "sweet spot" from start to finish but it seems to be true at least after this first sampling.  The NUM Cam was medium bodied had a nice finish and a nice pepper.  However I do not see how anyone got over an hour of smoke out of it.  I smoked it slow to the point it almost went out a few times and barely got 35 minutes out of it.  It wasn't dry at all.  I would definetly recommend it and I think it is now favorite lunch time smoker.  I'm not sure about the pricing you guys listed though.  I paid exactly $4 for mine.