Home Cigar 101

Some sticks spongy, some a bit dry...

gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
Smoked a MOW Virtue last night-1st one out of a 5 pack that has been resting for a couple of months. This stick was REALLY spongy! I have smoked several of these in the past and not really noticed anything like this-loose draw yes, but downright springy, no. The thing is, as our RH here has changed from fairly moist to very dry, I have been keeping a closer eye on my humi RH-running it about 65-70%. Did a salt test about 6 weeks ago, so i believe my hygro is reading steady. To enhance the mystery, it has seemend that a few smokes from last weekend actually seemed a bit dry. Anyone else experience both spongy and dry cigars at the same time?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Could be that you have some dry spots and/or some humid spots. What size/kind of humidor do you have and what are you using for humidification?
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    50 count burl wood humi-recieved as a gift from my wife when I started smoking cigars about 2 years ago. There is no identification on it, but she got it at our local B&M. Am still using the black "hocky puck" that came with the humidor. I talked to the owner at the B&M where we got the humi about beads, gel, etc. and he said that as long as the hygro is reading steady and the cigars are smoking ok (most of the time I do not have the subject issue, just noticed it with the MOW Virtue's), then that humidification device should be fine. I know I should change to another method, but overall my cigars seem to be smoking ok.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the black puck could have been the source of your problem. if the cigars are directly under that thing, then they my have too much moisture too near to them.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Ditch the hockey puck and get some Heartfelt beads - you can buy them in tubes for around $10 each, so get 2 or 3, along with a
    $1 gallon of distilled water and you won't have to worry anymore

Ya, I guess this cigar thing isn't a passing hobby, lol. Where is the best place to pick up the Heartfelt beads?
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Heartfelt website of course :) You can also buy the empty tubes off the Heartfelt website (about $2-$3) and use Conservagel beads (cheaper - just do a google search)
    Thanks.