Home General Discussion

Ratings?

Hello, another nubie... I see a lot of these ratings for certain cigars... 90, 92 what do these numbers represent and which is the better rating? Also, what should my humidor hygrometer read for a good moisture level? Thanks... great forums... good info.

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to Cigar.com and the wonderful world of cigars! Cigar ratings are just a gauge or system of grading certain cigars based on flavor, burn, construction, and such. The higher the rating the better. However, I only use ratings as a loose guideline for info on cigars I've not yet tried. This is because everyone's taste is different. I could say that a certain cigar is the best thing to hit the market, but at least a few other people would say that it's crap.

Best rule of the fine hobby is to try everything for yourself. It's like being a wine lover. Every wine tastes different to everyone else, but with experience and a developed palate, you can come to learn and love the differences.

As far as the hygrometer goes, make sure it's calibrated. A safe range for humidity would be 65 to 72. Any lower, your sticks run the risk of losing its oils and burn too fast. Any higher, risk it becoming too hard to keep lit and it becoming bitter.
  • Thanks for the information... good analogy reference wine tasting... look forward to more forums from cigar enthusiast such as yourself.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Glad to help. Again, welcome to CCom. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask anyone here.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. A lot of good info, and some great people here.
  • wwhwang:
    Welcome to Cigar.com and the wonderful world of cigars! Cigar ratings are just a gauge or system of grading certain cigars based on flavor, burn, construction, and such. The higher the rating the better. However, I only use ratings as a loose guideline for info on cigars I've not yet tried. This is because everyone's taste is different. I could say that a certain cigar is the best thing to hit the market, but at least a few other people would say that it's crap.

Best rule of the fine hobby is to try everything for yourself. It's like being a wine lover. Every wine tastes different to everyone else, but with experience and a developed palate, you can come to learn and love the differences.

As far as the hygrometer goes, make sure it's calibrated. A safe range for humidity would be 65 to 72. Any lower, your sticks run the risk of losing its oils and burn too fast. Any higher, risk it becoming too hard to keep lit and it becoming bitter.
    All of this plus I'd like to add that cigars are handmade and not only that made with a crop that's continually changing so that can also effect the final rating of a cigar both reviewed by a magazine and one that you've smoked, so even from one years blend to the next there could be some differences.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Don't listen to these guys - they don't know what they're talking about! Now me, I'm an expert, and I'd be willing to help out for about 10 Cohiba's per question
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    take all ratings with a grain of salt.
    ...even MY ratings.

there are some publications that tend to rate people higher if they take out a full page ad....
    i disagree with many many ratings.

it comes down to personal taste.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    take all ratings with a grain of salt.
    ...even MY ratings.

there are some publications that tend to rate people higher if they take out a full page ad....
    i disagree with many many ratings.

it comes down to personal taste.
    I agree with Kuz. I subscribe to that particular magazine, and I have noticed the larger the add, the better the rating.

Taste is personal, that's why they make more than one cigar.

Welcome to the forum!
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Agreed on all accounts.

To me, ratings mean that one person who has about a 50% chance of having the same tastes as me, and a 75% chance of being unbiased and knowledgable gave this one cigar (out of the possibly millions made) 92/100% as an example. So by rough math I have about a 35% chance of liking this cigar.

Just like movie reviews, I take into account the source. There's alot of guys on the forum here with tastes similar to mine who's opinion I will take into account if they say a stick is just "good" or "bad". The rest of the time I read the details. Kuzi is spot on with what nuances and flavors are actually in a cigar. If he reviews something and picks up flavors I like, chances are I will like that cigar regardless of what final rating he gives it.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Btw...if you are using an analog hydro (the one that looks like a dial) get rid of it, or don't go by it. Go to Wal-Mart and get yourself a digital. Highly accurate, the analogs are crap functionality wise...but they do look nice.

"Long ashes my friends."

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    The best ratings are the ones YOU make... I hate Asparagus, You may love it.... Are you going to miss out on all the Asparagus just because some ASPAR-A-Cionado says that this years' crop of isn't good and the only good Asparagus is from '08???
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    The best ratings are the ones YOU make... I hate Asparagus, You may love it.... Are you going to miss out on all the Asparagus just because some ASPAR-A-Cionado says that this years' crop of isn't good and the only good Asparagus is from '08???
    This is some seriously missed sarcasm Lassie!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Hayblet:
    Lasabar:
    This is some seriously missed sarcasm Lassie!
    :)