Home Ratings & Reviews

Cigar.com Sun Grown Label

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    Cut into my second one this morning. Found something I've never seen before:

imageimage

this is what I pulled our, it ran the full length and I could not cut it with my cutter.

Of course you couldn't... that's a BEARD HAIR!!! The only thing that can cut that is another beard hair.
  • 24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    Fantastic harpoon...Haha....looks like a piece of wire?
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    when they bale the tobacco for curing they will place what looks like plastic shreds between the layers of tobacco. I suppose it is to allow air circukation into the center of the bale. Looks like it is a piece of that. Alex would be able to tell you, for sure.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Wow....never saw that one before...might need a little bit more QA, lol

"Long ashes my friends."

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Had a robusto last night OTT. This is one good smoke.
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    Krieg:
    Wow....never saw that one before...might need a little bit more QA, lol
    I would assume something like that is SUPER rare... i hope.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Me too, Sight. Great smoke for the $$. Should be excellent in a couple of months.
  • My 5-pack arrived 2 days ago. They're a little soft/spongy so I'm using my willpower to hold off for the time being. I can't wait to give it a try though!
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    gripnrip:
    Me too, Sight. Great smoke for the $$. Should be excellent in a couple of months.
    I may need to invest in a box if I am going to last a couple of months.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I've had 3 so far, I think I'll let 15 rest, and have 2 more.
  • GarheadGarhead Posts: 41
    Definitely my favorite house blend by ccom. I've had 4 or 5 now of the torpedos. I've found the torp end, when you clip it tends to fall apart a little and you get lots of pieces of tobacco in your mouth about 1/2 way through to the end. More than any other cigar I've clipped. Other than that, excellent flavor and burn.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Still have yet to try one of the 5 I got......... maybe tonight.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I started smoking these ROTT and haven't stopped yet. It is a great example of why "There is no blender but AJ, and the Beard is his merchant" The smell of these things is amazing and the taste does not disappoint. This is the best yet of the house blends IMO.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    YankeeMan:
    Brothers, dive in. I first ordered the robusto and really enjoyed them and now just got my order of torps and I am enjoying them also. Great smoke, no burn issues.

I really think for the price, you can't beat them. Maybe even at a higher price... (Don't listen ccom!)
    Any difference or preference between the two sizes?
    Actually, I like them both. Torp gives you a little more cigar, so I save them for when I have more time.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Just tried my first one tonight. I absolutely loved this cigar. Its a spice bomb from start to finish. This will be a regular in my rotation.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    So I guess I'll go against the grain. Just finished a torpedo and am a wee dissapointed. Sungrown, atleast the ones I've had such as vigilante, Arturo fuente, Alec Bradley, RP, Ashton, all had a really distinctive spice and characteristic famiar to all sungrowns. The ccom one was really mellow and lacked that defining sungrown factor... If that makes any sense. I still enjoyed it bu I went into it expecting something diffrent. Burned well, was a tad spongy, especially after the 1/2 way point. All in all a good smoke just not really a hearty sungrown that I've had from other blenders. Will buy more though.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I'm about to smoke my first. They came off the truck on Wednesday. They smell awesome, reminds me of shaving cream for some reason, which is awesome...I'll post a short review once I smoke it in a bit.
    I can't wait to try one of these you gave us from the herf! I am gonna wait till I am completely over this cold before I smoke it though, hopefully by this weekend. Thx again for the smokes.

"Long ashes my friends."

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I fired one up right off the truck last week and LOVED it... it was a real beauty... I was working so I kind of ignored it, but I never had to relight... everything from appearance to construction to burn to draw was perfect... it had some kick to it too... had enough flavor to make me think it will be REALLY nice in a few months... it's right up there with the Brazilian Label for me...

I had The Beard put together a 5 pack for me, but I'm probably gonna get a box of these... really enjoyed it
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Krieg:
    I can't wait to try one of these you gave us from the herf! I am gonna wait till I am completely over this cold before I smoke it though, hopefully by this weekend. Thx again for the smokes.
    I just sent you a package Krieg and I MAY have included one... I know I sent one to someone and I'm pretty sure it was you...
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got mine in the mail this Friday. Couldn't smoke it just yet because it's too damn soft. I think alittle more time in the humi should do the job.
  • GarheadGarhead Posts: 41
    I just reviewed it myself on my hub page. What a tasty cigar! http://hubpages.com/hub/Cigarcom-Sun-Grown-Label-Torpedo-08-31-2010
    robbyras:
    Krieg:
    I just sent you a package Krieg and I MAY have included one... I know I sent one to someone and I'm pretty sure it was you...
    Sweet, thanks rob!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm smoking my first one now, WOW! Toasted pumpernickel and cashews, a home run!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Hated it. Nothing more to say because I am obviously in the minority. I wished like hell I did like it, and wonder what is wrong with my palate as I read these posts. I smoked 2 and I am done. Unfortunate too...anyway back to the ageless query on how 10 people can smoke the same stick and get 10 different opinions---lifes great mysteries.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Jetmech_63:
    So I guess I'll go against the grain. Just finished a torpedo and am a wee dissapointed. Sungrown, atleast the ones I've had such as vigilante, Arturo fuente, Alec Bradley, RP, Ashton, all had a really distinctive spice and characteristic famiar to all sungrowns. The ccom one was really mellow and lacked that defining sungrown factor... If that makes any sense. I still enjoyed it bu I went into it expecting something diffrent. Burned well, was a tad spongy, especially after the 1/2 way point. All in all a good smoke just not really a hearty sungrown that I've had from other blenders. Willbuy more though.
    Wasnt just you Vince. A spicy, full bodied punch in the mouth is what Im used to getting from anything with Sun Grown in the title, but that didnt happen with this one.

I bought a 5 stick sampler (THANKS KELLY GRAFFIN!) and I found all the different sizes to be mild-medium in body, and retrohale during the first third gave me hay(?) so fresh it was more like a fresh-cut-grass sort of thing, a little tough to describe. Never had anything like that in a cigar before.

I wont say I was disappointed, but it was definitely not what I was expecting. Not a bad smoke, but four sticks into my CCom Sun Grown experience Im still trying to figure out if its for me...

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I get what you're saying Glen, I had somewhat different expectations from what the cigar delivered. That said, I can recall a couple other blends from AJ, MoW and Ruination, that weren't terribly impressive upon release but got really good with a couple months of rest, I see this one being similar in that regard.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    dennisking:
    nice review. its a good reminder as to why we are CCom buyers and not CI buyers. the guys at Ccom really put some heart and soul in to their company and this is proof, as with all the house blends. it's easy for a cigar distributor to get some seconds or some weak ass blend and slap a house label on it, but for a company to get multiple master blenders to make their house blends and develop the product so the experience is a great one is what makes them tops. score one for CCom. looking forward to trying the Sun Grown.
    Not saying I don't agree, but what about the CI Legends series, that's a house line made by different master blenders, and if one wanted to compare apples to apples the CI Legends would come out on top for the fact that each blend is from a different, well respected company and they're all long filler.

I'm not knocking the ccom house line, but someone had to play devil's advocate. ;)
    true. I know that line has some good blenders however I haven't really like many from that line either. All I can figure is I am just too picky on cigars. It sucks but at the same time it saves me money... er, not really.

btw, nice review.
  • Glad to hear the good things about this smoke. I picked up 10 off the DD the other day. Just got mine in yesterday and they are already smelling great. Looking forward to trying the first ones.
  • kaipocruz1kaipocruz1 Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Wasn't into this one...the robusto size was very bland to me. With sun grown sumatras, I usually get a nice sweet spice (similar to a good cameroon but with more robust flavors)...this cigar had none of that. I'll stick to paying 2x the price and get my Ambos Mundos Sumatra or Bolivar confradia suntuso's!