Home Ratings & Reviews

Ubicigar.Com Review Thread, 09/09/10: Ashton VSG Eclipse (Tubo)

betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
I figure it'll be easier to just keep track of reviews on a single thread rather then allow reviews to clutter up around here. The website is www.ubicigar.com, and as soon as Cholmes get's on, I'll let him post up his review.

Comments

• betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Alright, new cigar review up on Ubi Cigar is the Hammer and Sickle. Newish cigar that came out this year, the Hammer and Sickle is Dominican fillers cloaked in a five-year-old Connecticut leaf. This was a stunner of a cigar, since I generally dislike Connecticut wrappers, never the less, having heard so much about it (their booth at IPCPR had a piece of the Berlin Wall at it) I lit it up, and I must say I'm very impressed. It's solid medium body but incredibly flavorful and pleasing to smoke. Excellent draw with flawless construction, flavors of pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon sugar, and toward the end salt. Really a pleasure to smoke. Full review with pictures and the like up now.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Awesome review man hope to find one of these soon!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I loved this stick. I remember getting a lot of fruity flavors, as well as cinnamon. Mild overall, but great taste. I posted a review a while back, somewhere. Great cigar, despite its politics!
    Checked your blog, couldn't find it... but good points, all. It's a very interesting cigar; I love full-bodied cigars but this is on my list for a box if I can find one at a decent price.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    betasynn:
    Checked your blog, couldn't find it... but good points, all. It's a very interesting cigar; I love full-bodied cigars but this is on my list for a box if I can find one at a decent price.
    It is posted somewhere in a thread. Didn't post on the blog. It was pre-blog.

Found it: Hammer + Sickle
    Alright, today's review At Ubi Cigar is of the San Cristobal in the Papagayo size. The vitola runs like a 5.7x55, and it's really just a big chode of a cigar. I didn't care for it at all, which is strange because it's made by Don Pepin and it's for the same company that makes on of my favorites, the La Aroma de Cuba. Really bland, very earthy, not at all balanced. The ash was very flaky and got all over my computer. On the plus side, it looks nice...
    Just posted at www.ubicigar.com, I did a review on the 1989 by Nestor Miranda. I was super-stoked because Pepin was called in on this one, and I love Miami Cigar Company in general. I was not disappointed, for what I hear to be a mixed filler cigar that is under five bucks, this thing smokes easily above and beyond it's value. Especially nice sweet spot during the second third. There is also an oscuro for this cigar.
    Today I posted up a review that was supposed to be up friday: Alec Bradley Prensado! Great box press, little funky on the burn which might have dulled the flavors somewhat, but overall, a fantastic chocolate bomb that I think compares well to the Maxx and even the Decade, though with a bit less overall complexity then the Decade. It's all on the site; any other thoughts?
    New Post Up: Xikar HC Criollo in the new Grande (6x60) format. Excellent cigar, just a few burn issues here and there which sort of hampered the flavor at times. Other then that, nice spicy cigar with black pepper, cayenne pepper, leather, and cream. I need to smoke a regular criollo to see how it compares, but it's a great cigar. It does clock in around $9.50 though.
  • asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
    Betasynn, PM to you.
    And responded!
    Alright, new review up at www.ubicigar.com : Ashton VSG Eclipse (tubo.) Really an excellent cigar, I would consider it a must-try. I got the most intense anise and cinnamon flavors out of this cigar, along with wood, cream, chocolate, chili peppers, black pepper, and more. Good construction (even with a bit of a tight draw at the start) but truly worth trying. Ashton says that this size tastes different because the cedar sleeve brings out certain flavors. Not sure if that's true or not, but this is miles better then other VSG's I've had.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had the tubo but I have had many of the fuente tube cigars and honestly I don't get much out of the cedar sleeve. But I wouldn't mind trying a vsg tubo. I really like the wizard size the most. I have had several and have had 3 from my box and they get better every 6 months.
    Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say this replaces the Wizard as their favorite.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    After reading the review I am really stoked to try the Eclipse that was gifted to me! I have had one other size of the VSG and was underwhelmed. It was good, just not amazing like I hear so much from others.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Duder2:
    After reading the review I am really stoked to try the Eclipse that was gifted to me! I have had one other size of the VSG and was underwhelmed. It was good, just not amazing like I hear so much from others.

Ive had two VSG now, 1 Robusto sized and 1 Toro sized - not sure of the names there, and I thought both were AMAZING!
    But I have turned into an Ashton **** lately!!!

Although I may be converting to LFD soon!

Lemme know how you like it, it's an awesome stick.