Home Cigar 101

Sorry about this repetitive question

Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
Just got a Camacho Liberty 2009 in a cedar box and it had very small white dots at various locations of the cigar. I really can't tell if they're mold or not because they're so small, but they are very noticable...is this mold or plume?

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Is it 3D? If so, then it is mold. Does it glitter? If it does, then it's plume.
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    wipe it off and smoke it :D
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    I just find it hard to believe a high end cigar would be sent direct from a company that contains mold...is this common? The white spots are almost the size of the end of a needle...tried taking photos but can't zoom in to get a clear photo. They're scattered in different areas (think I saw about 6-8 of these white dots) and when I lightly rub my finger nail up/down they really don't move or anything lol...the cigar smells great though :) In addition to the dots, I do see what looks like a "glittery" dust all throughout the outer wrapper of the cigar, but its very small and very fine.
    Based on what you've described, that's probably plume. Congratulations!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    i was gunna say just the opposite.

mold is usually in patches. plume is usually uniform.
    kuzi16:
    sightunseen:
    i was gunna say just the opposite.

mold is usually in patches. plume is usually uniform.
    Interesting...

I'm going on personal experience. I have a La Aurora Preferido that has plume, but it's scattered in a few places on the stick. I am almost 100% sure that it's plume on my stick.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    "I am almost 100% sure that it's plume on my stick."

that had me laughing out loud at work.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Also, the "glittery" substance is probably some of the ink or flake used in the ink on the band. I know that's common in metallic bands such as gurkha, opus, liberty, etc.
    rossdavey2:
    "I am almost 100% sure that it's plume on my stick."

that had me laughing out loud at work.
    I tried convincing my girlfriend to smoke it. She wasn't buying it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Can you post a picture? The problem with this question is that a lot of people have certain notions of what plume "must" look like, so 100% of the time you'll get conflicting answers.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Can you post a picture? The problem with this question is that a lot of people have certain notions of what plume "must" look like, so 100% of the time you'll get conflicting answers.
    Que the Monty Python Reference...

"BEAUTIFUL PLUMAGE!
    j0z3r:
    I tried to last night but couldn't get the camera to focus in good enough otherwise that would've been my first task...even googled it and found a you tube clip which had a cigar that had plume which looked similar to mine...ultimately I ended up bypassing the "resting" phase for this smoke and lit it up last night lol Was a pretty good smoke too :) I do appreciate everybody's input though...lots of opinions to something that probably gets brought up quite often! Nick
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Nick2021:
    j0z3r:
    I tried to last night but couldn't get the camera to focus in good enough otherwise that would've been my first task...even googled it and found a you tube clip which had a cigar that had plume which looked similar to mine...ultimately I ended up bypassing the "resting" phase for this smoke and lit it up last night lol Was a pretty good smoke too :) I do appreciate everybody's input though...lots of opinions to something that probably gets brought up quite often! Nick
    In my research and smoking I've learned that there are two philosophies when it comes to abnormalities on your cigars...

ONE
    It's Plume and you have a cigar that is aged perfectly so smoke it ASAP for the oils have 100% permeated the wrapper and binder and it will be a good smoke!!!

TWO

It's Mold and everyone says just brush it off but smoke right away, for it can't hurt you and JUST SMOKE IT ALREADY!!!

Either way the advice is the same, smoke it cuz it's good, or smoke it because it's going sour.... I'd be hard pressed to hear that either vary SO MUCH DIFFERENTLY.... Cut it, light it, smoke it.... post pics!
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Camacho Liberty 2009 is notorious for having mold. Everyone I know who has had one has had mold. A friend of mine had 2 boxes of them well maintained and every one of them had mold. I wiped my off and smoked it. I personally didn't like the cigar and know this had no effect on it. It didn't taste moldy or anythnig it just wasn't a cigar I cared for. I have read about this problem in several other forums.
    jsnake:
    The Camacho Liberty 2009 is notorious for having mold. Everyone I know who has had one has had mold. A friend of mine had 2 boxes of them well maintained and every one of them had mold. I wiped my off and smoked it. I personally didn't like the cigar and know this had no effect on it. It didn't taste moldy or anythnig it just wasn't a cigar I cared for. I have read about this problem in several other forums.
    wow, is there a reason for this being common amongst the liberty series cigars?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Nick2021:
    jsnake:
    wow, is there a reason for this being common amongst the liberty series cigars?
    probably the very oily wrapper. the Camacho diploma maduro has the same issue. ive seen that cigar sit at 68 rh and still get mold. that cigar (diploma maduro) is one of the reasons why i got the 65% beads and not the 70%
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    On a related note, this past weekend I had a Joya de Nicaragua Antaño that had both plume on the wrapper and mold on the foot. An interesting thing I noticed is that on a cigar with cellophane, the oils will penetrate and condense on the cello since it is porous. If anyone is wondering, I lit up and burned the mold off and it tasted fine and I'm still here. ;)
    j0z3r:
    On a related note, this past weekend I had a Joya de Nicaragua Antaño that had both plume on the wrapper and mold on the foot. An interesting thing I noticed is that on a cigar with cellophane, the oils will penetrate and condense on the cello since it is porous. If anyone is wondering, I lit up and burned the mold off and it tasted fine and I'm still here. ;)
    +1, I ended up smoking my cigar that night and it looks like I'm fine, was a great cigar too lol :)