Home Ratings & Reviews

Gurkha Art Deco P.E

ok guys..figured I will probably be the only one here on the site to smoke this, so I wanted to review it.....

The stick: Its a Gurkha Art Deco pre embargo....rare stick which is like the cognac infused onces in tubos but just older tabbacco and way more expensive. Stick sells for 30$ at my local shop and he has very limited quantity.

Its sleek and smooth with a rich maduro wrapper it looks like. i open the bottle and instantly the smell of cognac hits my nose strong...very very strong like nothing I have smoked before.It has a soft touch to it. i lick the cab and instantly taste the cognac big time. It smells rich and amazing.

I will let this sit out of the tube for 5 minutes to aclimate to the tempature. i slowly roll the stick every minute or so that way the cognac doesnt stick to one side. Last time I had a cognac infusded stick it had horrible burn due to the cognac on one side....I will not be drinking anything with booze in it or anything for that matter as i dont want it to change my taste buds...i will just drink water...

I cut the torpedo end off just enough I think....the draw feels excellent, and you can tast the richness of the stick.

Light time: 4:45 pm. I lit it using matches like our fathers would have! lol.

Right off the bat u taste the booze iin it, but its smooth, tad dry but smooth nonetheless.....i can taste some kind of leathery taste in it, almost burnt wood as well......The smoke from the first third is good...steady, medium thickness

only 1/8inch of the way in and u can get the dryness from the cognac....super dry, but quality kind of cognac ya know.....so I guess the dry in this stick is becoming a good thing. I bring the smoke back to my face using my hand, and I can smell the cognac again in it, as well as a mixture of nuts is how I can describe it.

I can taste the strength behind it, but not overpowing...reminds me of a MoW virtue feeling, the fact you can taste the heaviness behind the stick, but its still smooth kinda feeling.

Starting to get a inch in...still smooth and still taste that strong dry cognac.....had a slight burn issue, but not only did I correct it, i even used a match to correct it lol

I have to say, about a inch in, the cognac is getting stronger...very very strong I have to say....smooth, but strong

My smoke is interrupted by my indian/hindu neighbor smoking pot, which makes me sick to smell, so I walk over to the fence,and ask if he is getting high...his reply "uh, no man this is a cig." its not, I can smell it, as well as he is smoking next to his 2 year old little boy. Im pissed, I tell him to come over to the fence, tell him he has 4 seconds to put it out before CPS is called on him for smoking in front of his kid, so he looks at me, and I count 1, 2, and he puts it out and I warn him never to smoke out back ever again.

Back to the stick, which is having a great amount of smoke coming out, and burning slowly even for me I might add....i can typically smoke a figurado in a hour or less, and right now im only 1inch deep in this bad boy.

It finally ashes after a inch. the nut taste went away but still got that super strong cognac....im thinking I should have ate a steak before this, cuz I got a feeling I will walk away drunk after im done! lol

2nd third...you can taste the aging of the tabacco.....the taste of the cognac is the same....but im getting leather again, nuts like walnuts or something, the aged tabbacco is superior in this stick...pretty impressed so far....had to correct twice more, both times with matches like a real man

Smoke is a light to medium smoke now, which is perfect in my opinion...heavy smoke is cool now and then, but this is just good for me. I can taste the fluxation of wrappers here...its supposedly a 12 year cognac infused cameroon maduro wrapper....I gotta say, awesome.

So im entering the last third here....the richness of teh cognac is still there heavily...the wrapper is evenly burning now. I have only ashed twice and correct twice as well...wait three times...but never anything horrible....its smooth all the way with every puff....current time is 5:29pm.

As i enter the last third, I am getting a hickory flavor here....its good...really good...

total score would be something like a 7 or 8/10...good..but not 30$ worth

Total burn time would be 1 hour and 15 minutes

image By joeyjoe21_8 at 2010-08-29

Comments

• jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    nice review! I dont know that I would like the liquer taste since I stoped dinking like 8 years ago. That looks like a big ass stick to smoke in 1hr 15 min. how far down did you smoke it when you put it down?
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    I smoked it within a inch of the cap.....it ashed and pretty much hollowed it so I figured that was the last....and if u had any of the other cognac infused then this was the same...just stronger but if u stopped drinking then dont pick this up ....if u could even find it lol....
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    What's the size on this? I have an odd feeling that the amount of pre-embargo tobacco in this smoke is probably so minimal (like the Camacho PE) that it doesn't affect the flavor much. Anyway, putting PE tobacco in a cigar, and then infusing it with Cognac seems like a waste of cuban tobacco as well as Cognac. That's what I've never understood about the Gurkha Cognac infused sticks. Why not smoke a cigar that tastes like a fine cigar and have a glass of fine Cognac with it? Admittedly, I am not a fan of Gurkha smokes in general, and have a sneaking suspicion that I wouldn't be wowed by this smoke even without the Cognac infusion, but still... Meh.

That said, thanks for sharing your review with us. Bummer about your neighbor LOL.
    tis be a torpedo my friend...and yeah im sure its minimal...but any p.e cigar will have minimal in it just to be called a pre embargo in my opinion
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    tis be a torpedo my friend...and yeah im sure its minimal...but any p.e cigar will have minimal in it just to be called a pre embargo in my opinion
    So 6x52? I meant actual dimensions, not vitola, sorry. A lot of brands call a cigar one thing, but actually have the dimensions a little off.
    yeah i would say a 6 or 6.5 length and probably 50 or 52 right there....
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    This sounds good and I'm very tempted, but I still have a few Royal Salutes left and I don't know if that little bit of PE tobacco is going to change an infused stick significantly enough to justify the price. Especially when I just spent WAY too much money this weekend and still have to get my car fixed. Nice review, either way.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joey, I know you got one of those for me!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    This sounds good and I'm very tempted, but I still have a few Royal Salutes left and I don't know if that little bit of PE tobacco is going to change an infused stick significantly enough to justify the price. Especially when I just spent WAY too much money this weekend and still have to get my car fixed. Nice review, either way.
    I remember reading a few reviews way back on them. General opinion was that they were decent sticks but not worth the asking price. I do have curiosity in trying them but they are spendy.

If anyone wants to trade one I have some corniche's which are about equal in rarity and price.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Rob1110:
    I remember reading a few reviews way back on them. General opinion was that they were decent sticks but not worth the asking price. I do have curiosity in trying them but they are spendy.

If anyone wants to trade one I have some corniche's which are about equal in rarity and price.

I'll vouch for the corniche. Squirrel sent me one and it was really nice. I found it to be very similar to the Royal Salute, even though it says it's not infused (I swear it is).
    lol, I didn't find it had much in common with the royal salute though I would agree that even though they say they aren't infused you can smell it on them.. hehe
  • I never had a royal salute.....i may be interested in getting one! lol...and no jsnake...i didnt get u one....broke brother...just re-fi my house which cost 2300....can we say no cigar budget at all this month.....like, not buying one dam stick lol.......but next time im in there ill see if maybe i buy two i can get a discount...doubt it but ill try......
    pm buddy