Home General Discussion

RP Sungrown and Edge

Does anyone have any opinions on the RP sungrown or Edge (habano). I have tried a lot of his other smokes and liked them, but I am new and not sure if the Edge will kick my a** or not. Thanks.

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I worried about this too, given the write-ups about the Edge, but found that while it was indeed potent it was not overwhelming. As for the Sun-Grown, well, those are just GOOD. One of the few name brand cigars I've ever paid full price for. I wish I could afford some right now, am looking forward to trying the house-blend sun grown soon as a more economical substitute.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I would try the Edge lite first, and test the water so to speak if you have never had one...I have had several, both Sun Growns and Edges. Maduro is my favorite, it isn't as full bodied as say a Camacho Triple Maduro, or Opus, but it's not a bad cigar either. Just smoke it on a full stomach and smoke it slow, u should be fine.

"Long ashes my friends."

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I love both but I am a veteran smoker. Try a couple before you get to many
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Sungrown is the only cigar to truly kick my a$$. Made my damn legs wobbly. But, I was still pretty new to cigars and don't remember the circumstances (i.e. did I have a full stomach or not? etc). I have another that's been resting for 15+ months but I'm still a little hesitant to break it out!

But, I've had other full-bodied smokes that didn't affect me the way the Sungrown did in the slightest. Just goes to show that cigars affect people differently.

Having said that, I would probably try the Edge first, but go for both of them to find out for yourself. Like gypsy said, just by a single or two to try them out.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    If you want to try the Edge lite (very taistie BTW) I have some with a year of rest on them. Let me know and we can set something up.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed both the Edge and the Sun Grown. Both were great smokes IMO.

CigarCyclopedia rates the Edge as "extra-full bodied" and that concerned me a tad before I smoked it but it's really a good stick. It was kinda 'muy fuerte' but as long as I took it a little slower than I ordinarily would, it was just fine.

And the Sun Grown is great also. Not as powerful as the Edge but very, very good.

Marty

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Heavy:
    Sungrown is the only cigar to truly kick my a$$. Made my damn legs wobbly. But, I was still pretty new to cigars and don't remember the circumstances (i.e. did I have a full stomach or not? etc). I have another that's been resting for 15+ months but I'm still a little hesitant to break it out!

But, I've had other full-bodied smokes that didn't affect me the way the Sungrown did in the slightest. Just goes to show that cigars affect people differently.

Having said that, I would probably try the Edge first, but go for both of them to find out for yourself. Like gypsy said, just by a single or two to try them out.
    DO NOT hesitate on the Sun Grown you've got resting Heavy - I have found that they age EXCELLENTLY! Fifteen months is plenty, and I think you're gonna love it!

Guess I'm going to have to burn that sucker soon! It's wierd becuase I've had a ruination and the Oliva V - I could really feel the strength but they didn't hurt me like that one Sungrown did. And i know most people don't talk about the Sungrown being as full-bodied as some other sticks. I'll chalk it up to a one-time experience I suppose.

But I think I'll wait til I have time to enjoy it maybe this weekend. I forgot to mention it's a churchill, so i want to be prepared so I can make it through the whole thing!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I tend to rip on RP in general, but The Edge is a fine cigar - and can be picked up CHEAP if you call your order in to Jeff Jackson. It does have some strength to it, but it is nothing you can't handle after a good meal.

Hm, I was trying to figure out what I wanted to smoke tonight. Perhaps I'll smoke the last Edge I have...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Heavy:

DO NOT hesitate on the Sun Grown you've got resting Heavy - I have found that they age EXCELLENTLY! Fifteen months is plenty, and I think you're gonna love it!

good to hear, I really liked my first Sun Grown but was disappointed with subsequent ones. I've had 2-3 resting for over a year now that I just found Friday...one will have to be sacrificed soon.
  • bigjohn125bigjohn125 Posts: 476
    fla-gypsy:
    PM Sent
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    bigjohn125:
    fla-gypsy:
    PM Sent
    Replied!
    The Sniper:
    Heavy:

Alright Sniper, I took your advice and burned the Sun Grown last night, and I survived - lol! Actually, it was a really nice smoke. Started out with no particular discernable flavors, just that nice 'tobacco' flavor. BUt then around the beginning of the 2nd third I started getting these creamy nutty/cashew flavors that were excellent. Hints of cinnamon even popped up here and there. I definitely enjoyed it so thanks for convincing me to dig it out from the bottom of the humi! BTW, although it was definitely full-bodied, it was nowhere near as strong as I remembered the one being from last year.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the sungrown is one of the better RPs but its still isnt all that great (IMHO) now if you were talking about the OSG (original sun grown) ... thats a different story.
  • I think the RP Sun-grown and the (original) Edge are my favorites by far from RP.

Niether of them I really beleve are full-bodied, but a solid medium body for sure. Both have a nice natural sweetness to them that just makes stop and look at it thinking "Wow, I'm really enjoying this" all the way to the nub!