Home Non Cigar Related

Travel for a livin

I was wondering if any ones job keeps them on the road alot. I Have a job oppertunity making twice as much as I do now but will be gone alot sometimes for months. I have a wife and two small kids my wife is with it but I was just wondering what other peoples experience was.

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    jship079:
    I was wondering if any ones job keeps them on the road alot. I Have a job oppertunity making twice as much as I do now but will be gone alot sometimes for months. I have a wife and two small kids my wife is with it but I was just wondering what other peoples experience was.
    I personally don't have a traveling job, but I always thought I could do it... I can happily live out of a bag and hotels... Don't know why, but that seems cool to me...

but then again, vie never done it and who knows, maybe I'd get sick of it real fast
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I work 3 weeks on and get one week off most of the year but I also work in places that usually dont have cell phone service so we rely on sat phones. Luckily my wife has the same job so we can usually go together but there are times where she will be in Brazil for 2 months and I will be in Alaska. No kids yet but I can see that being a major issue.
    Lasabar:
    jship079:
    I personally don't have a traveling job, but I always thought I could do it... I can happily live out of a bag and hotels... Don't know why, but that seems cool to me...

but then again, vie never done it and who knows, maybe I'd get sick of it real fast
    I like hotels but what you REALLY get sick of is eating out.
    Goldy:
    Lasabar:
    jship079:

Yeah.... But you did say sometimes your wife ISN'T with you! BaZing!
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I dont travel for work but if I had the chance I dont think I could do it. I have a young daughter, almost 2 and 1 on the way. I couldnt be away from my family for that long. I dont like the way it is now with me getting home from work and only having about 2 hours with her a night. However if it was one of those things where it was what I needed to do to provide for them I might reconsider but it would be a hard choice to make.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Goldy:
    Lasabar:
    jship079:

HA! Classic Lassy.

I like a change of venue after a while working at the same place, but I also like sleeping in my own bed, so a traveling job would not be something I'd like much at all.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I used to live on he road, literally. I was on the road at least 20+ days a month and often 26 and sometimes even more, not coming home at all. It was fun for a while. It got old. Honestly, I'd probably still be doing it if some things wouldn't have happened and I hadn't realized just how little my company appreciated all the sacrifices I made. I will say, I had a lot more money then than I do now, which was nice. However, I am back and school and really excitted about my future in my new career, which probably would have never happened otherwise. One word of advice, if you decide to go for it and try it, good for you. I worked with plenty of folks who had been doing it for a long while. Do understand, though, that being on the road all the times does make it hard to find another job if it isn't for you. You aren't local to just take a day or half a day to interview somewhere else along with many other logistical problems with the job search. It gets even harder if you are being paid pretty well, IMO. Also, while I cannot speak for others, it does seem pretty exciting at first. However, that excitement can fade pretty fast when you take a look back, three years later and realize that you have only been home 216 out of the last 1085 days. I also do not know if you own a home or not, but it is a real pain, when you are only home for a couple days, taking care of all the stuff that has accumulated around the house while you were gone. Take care and good luck with whatever you decide.
    Lasabar:
    Goldy:
    Lasabar:
    jship079:

Point for Lass. I thought I might get called out on that.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I travel about once a year and I hate it. Not for me and it can have serious consequences for families. Money aint everything and there is no place like home.
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    Dustin1981:
    I dont travel for work but if I had the chance I dont think I could do it. I have a young daughter, almost 2 and 1 on the way. I couldnt be away from my family for that long. I dont like the way it is now with me getting home from work and only having about 2 hours with her a night. However if it was one of those things where it was what I needed to do to provide for them I might reconsider but it would be a hard choice to make.
    +1 Very thoughtful response. If I was having to make a similiar decision, yours would be one that I value.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    This is kind of lopsided but i kinda travel for a living. Being in the navy with a deployable fighter attack squadron we go to Fallon NV, China Lake CA, Key West FL, El Centro CA, Whidbey Island WA, Norfolk VA and occasionally Alsaka. When we do deploy its usually 8 months and usually hit a few ports in there, depending on which side of the world you go to. Since 2004 i have only spent 23 months at home. On one hand i love to travel, see new places and do it with all the guys i work with, on the other it makes you miss you bed, eating out gets old and phone calls home(or more recently, skype) get old as well. Dont have any kids but do have a great supportive wife. Makes things easier.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    While double the salary is a great thing, travel can be very difficult on family life. Just something to consider, of course, but I know many, many families that have to deal with this sort of thing and most enjoy the fun of traveling for a while and then get very sick of it.
    Jetmech_63:
    On one hand i love to travel, see new places and do it with all the guys i work with...
    This is why I didn't join the Navy!
    TatuajeVI:
    While double the salary is a great thing, travel can be very difficult on family life. Just something to consider, of course, but I know many, many families that have to deal with this sort of thing and most enjoy the fun of traveling for a while and then get very sick of it.
    Jetmech_63:
    On one hand i love to travel, see new places and do it with all the guys i work with...
    I'm glad you called this out... I'm sick of being the one to oust the BOTL's that have "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" stuck in their head all day long
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Lasabar:
    TatuajeVI:
    Jetmech_63:
    I'm glad you called this out... I'm sick of being the one to oust the BOTL's that have "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" stuck in their head all day long
    BOTL? Never heard of it. ;)
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    So wtf do you mean lassy?
    Its my fault for leaving.... I was not here for the BORK-ing.... I apologize for the inconvenience I have caused!