Home Cigar 101

Humidor help

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
My 100 count humidor is being delivered today. I bought a seasoning pack along with a hygrometer calibration kit. I know about the salt test but going to ensure this is done right.

I have a 25 count humi and didn't really season it being a beginner and not researching first.

Are there any explicit "don't do this" with seasoning or any other obvious things to avoid that I wouldn't know?

Thanks,
James

Comments

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    do a search for "humi seasoning" and you will find lots of threads about it.

"Long ashes my friends."

• kos22uskos22us Posts: 47
    use distilled drinking water only no tap water,bottled, etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Roger that. Thanks guys.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    Roger that. Thanks guys.
    No Prob, and WELCOME! Also, one thing not found in the search for Seasoning is a classic debate on Seasoning... The thread has been removed due to flagrant and rampant arguing spun in a web racism and innuendo...

But long story short, the "Purists" take the nature of the cigar and the "Spice" that comes from the rich Nicaraguan soils and usually use freshly ground Pepper to Season their humidor.

The Generation "X"ers out there break from tradition and use Cinnamon to Season their humi's... Now this sweetens the aroma of the cigar, but does not break the spice from the alkali metals in the soil bred through the seed.

I am plain crazy and use Mrs. Dash.... Why? I got a Shlt ton at Sam's Club and need to use it

Hope this helps
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Lasabar:
    james40:
    Roger that. Thanks guys.
    No Prob, and WELCOME! Also, one thing not found in the search for Seasoning is a classic debate on Seasoning... The thread has been removed due to flagrant and rampant arguing spun in a web racism and innuendo...

But long story short, the "Purists" take the nature of the cigar and the "Spice" that comes from the rich Nicaraguan soils and usually use freshly ground Pepper to Season their humidor.

The Generation "X"ers out there break from tradition and use Cinnamon to Season their humi's... Now this sweetens the aroma of the cigar, but does not break the spice from the alkali metals in the soil bred through the seed.

I am plain crazy and use Mrs. Dash.... Why? I got a Shlt ton at Sam's Club and need to use it

Hope this helps
    You just had to bring this up again? We've been over this before (if I recall correctly, we both almost got banned last time). Like before, I still say cinnamon is the best seasoning. Not only does it sweeten the cigar, break the spice from the alkali, but it also smells much more pleasant than ground pepper and allows an aficionado to enjoy the humidor more - because it keeps the spice bonded to the alkali metals, you get more body and flavor from the cigar, which results in a more pleasant experience. That's something you won't get with your exalted 'pepper'.

What're you gonna do with pepper? The cigar should already provide the spice by itself; you shouldn't have to use pepper to augment the cigar if it's a premium cigar - the alkali metals in the soil should provide enough when they bond to the cigar oil through the fermentation process since they come from the seco and volado level of tobacco leaf. This advice is just outdated, from a time before current manufacturing/rolling/blending techniques (as for your Mrs. Dash, I've already said my peace about that and almost got banned for it, so I'll leave it at that).

• The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    xmacro:
    Lasabar:
    james40:
    Roger that. Thanks guys.

Hope this helps
    You just had to bring this up again? We've been over this before (if I recall correctly, we both almost got banned last time). Like before, I still say cinnamon is the best seasoning. Not only does it sweeten the cigar, break the spice from the alkali, but it also smells much more pleasant than ground pepper and allows an aficionado to enjoy the humidor more - because it keeps the spice bonded to the alkali metals, you get more body and flavor from the cigar, which results in a more pleasant experience. That's something you won't get with your exalted 'pepper'.

What're you gonna do with pepper? The cigar should already provide the spice by itself; you shouldn't have to use pepper to augment the cigar if it's a premium cigar - the alkali metals in the soil should provide enough when they bond to the cigar oil through the fermentation process since they come from the seco and volado level of tobacco leaf. This advice is just outdated, from a time before current manufacturing/rolling/blending techniques (as for your Mrs. Dash, I've already said my peace about that and almost got banned for it, so I'll leave it at that).

Ok hold up a sec.... I have never heard of this before... seasoning your humi with pepper or cinnamon ? How the hell do you go about doing that ? Cinnamon sounds GREAT i would be all about trying that !
    Haha, you guys are funny.

Seriously though, i have another questions. I received an analog hygro. with the humidor. I used a boveda 75% kit and left it in there for about 40 hours. It stayed steady at 68% for the last 20 hours.

Does that mean I'm always going to be low 7% on my readings or should I toss that hygro out and get a better one? I heard digital were what everyone was using?
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    Haha, you guys are funny. Seriously though, i have another questions. I received an analog hygro. with the humidor. I used a boveda 75% kit and left it in there for about 40 hours. It stayed steady at 68% for the last 20 hours. Does that mean I'm always going to be low 7% on my readings or should I toss that hygro out and get a better one? I heard digital were what everyone was using?
    Always use digital. My old analog was off by 8. Now it's off by 20. Analogs are nothing more than decorations.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    james40:
    Haha, you guys are funny. Seriously though, i have another questions. I received an analog hygro. with the humidor. I used a boveda 75% kit and left it in there for about 40 hours. It stayed steady at 68% for the last 20 hours. Does that mean I'm always going to be low 7% on my readings or should I toss that hygro out and get a better one? I heard digital were what everyone was using?
    Always use digital. My old analog was off by 8. Now it's off by 20. Analogs are nothing more than decorations.
    This. If your analog hygro is situated in the front/side exterior of you humi, consider it decoration and nothing more. If it's inside the humi and loose, toss it. Get a digital.

And for the seasoning debate, are you guys crazy?? Cinnamon?? Pepper?? Everyone knows worstershire sauce is the only way to go.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    if you flip the analog hygro over you will see a screw in the back that you can turn to calibrate it. however, its still not worth it. those things get worse over time. the digital IS the way to go. an adjustable digital is even better.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Heavy:
    wwhwang:
    james40:
    This. If your analog hygro is situated in the front/side exterior of you humi, consider it decoration and nothing more. If it's inside the humi and loose, toss it. Get a digital.

And for the seasoning debate, are you guys crazy?? Cinnamon?? Pepper?? Everyone knows worstershire sauce is the only way to go.
    Don't forget the cardinal rule about seasoning - never use table salt to season your cigars, always, always, always use Kosher salt. And always cracked-pepper corns.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    You guys kidding? Cinnamon? Pepper? Salt? Everyone knows that soy sauce or rosemary is the best way to go!
    HEATHENS!! ALL OF YOU!! I feel like I don't even know you guys anymore! Cinnamon is the only one that can bring out the cigars' best qualities
    So I tried to adjust the analog hygro and now the darn thing reads 40%...you were right, it's just a decoration. Ordering the Xikar Digital from Amazon.

Thanks again for the help.
    james40:
    So I tried to adjust the analog hygro and now the darn thing reads 40%...you were right, it's just a decoration. Ordering the Xikar Digital from Amazon.

We're always right. Now go sprinkle some cinnamon and pepper in your humidor!! ;)
  • Big ErnBig Ern Posts: 72
    definitely do the search on humi seasoning you will get 100 responses and sometimes if you post your questiions one of the fine gentlemen in the forum will write you step by step instruction on how to do what you gotta do.Remember be patient during the seasoning process to get it done right
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go on Xikar's site. They have a nice video on seasoning and it features the Smokin' Hot Chick. They are pushing their products, but it gives some good info. Especially about NOT wiping down the spanish cedar with water or putting water (not in a container) in the bottom of your humidor and swishing it around.
    Big Ern:
    definitely do the search on humi seasoning you will get 100 responses and sometimes if you post your questiions one of the fine gentlemen in the forum will write you step by step instruction on how to do what you gotta do.Remember be patient during the seasoning process to get it done right
    not enough people do this.
    however, i dont mind when people ask again and again because often it brings up other questions that were never asked before, or people spit out something that others never thought of before.

whats the saying?
    the best teams are the best because they have mastered the basics.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    james40:

Xikar makes good stuff, I think you will be pleased with the digital hydro

"Long ashes my friends."

• cacmancacman Posts: 22
    xmacro:

I asked about this at another forum and got nothing but a bucket full of sarcasm. So I will ask where this discussion originated. This has got to be a joke???  Wouldn't adding spices to the humi alter the flavor from the Creators original intent???  Wouldn't the spices clog the pores of the cedar and encourage mold???  Isn't this kinda like adding fruit to your beer???

All I want is a straight answer about this practice, when and why it started if there is any old history behind it. I have never heard of such a thing. And it just desn't sound right to me.

Personally in my 150ct I use a large block in the lid with distilled water, and keep a Xicar puck of gel in the bottom charged with propylene glycol. I also keep a hygometer in the top tray and bottom so I am sure the humi is balanced.

• shawtdshawtd Posts: 72
    Try the search button. It's like magic. It will allow you to look at old posts and learn stuff. Almost like voodoo.
    cacman:
    xmacro:

I asked about this at another forum and got nothing but a bucket full of sarcasm. So I will ask where this discussion originated. This has got to be a joke???  Wouldn't adding spices to the humi alter the flavor from the Creators original intent???  Wouldn't the spices clog the pores of the cedar and encourage mold???  Isn't this kinda like adding fruit to your beer???

All I want is a straight answer about this practice, when and why it started if there is any old history behind it. I have never heard of such a thing. And it just desn't sound right to me.

Personally in my 150ct I use a large block in the lid with distilled water, and keep a Xicar puck of gel in the bottom charged with propylene glycol. I also keep a hygometer in the top tray and bottom so I am sure the humi is balanced.

Yeah man, it's a joke. A play on the word 'seasoning', as in seasoning food with spices. Good thing you came to this forum. On any other forum the BOTLs would let you dangle in the wind a good bit longer!
    Oh yeah, fogot to mention. Worstershire sauce is fine for seasoning your humi, however...
    Heavy:
    Oh yeah, fogot to mention. Worstershire sauce is fine for seasoning your humi, however...
    WAY better than A1 sauce.
    Heavy:
    Yeah man, it's a joke. A play on the word 'seasoning', as in seasoning food with spices. Good thing you came to this forum. On any other forum the BOTLs would let you dangle in the wind a good bit longer!

Finally a straight answer. The way the two guys where arguing in the thread along with mentions of bans and threads being removed (why nothing appeared in a Search) I thought there might have been some history to this. Kinda like some who've taken inexpensive gars and dipped them in port, bourbon, scotch, or cognac. Or using them to deter beetles. And I've heard of people doing crazier things to their cigars.

So in search of a good laugh I end up laughing at myself. Great. Same banter, just a different forum :}  Thanks.
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    kuzi16:
    Heavy:
    I like Terriaki or Soy.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    I'm actually thinking about putting a cigar into a glass tube with a vanilla bean to absorb some flavor. Any suggestions for which cigar to do this with?
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    RaschNuts:
    kuzi16:
    Heavy:
    I like Terriaki or Soy.
    Garlic, Onion & Teryaki - YUM. . .a And welcome to Cacman
    PsychoSJG:
    I'm actually thinking about putting a cigar into a glass tube with a vanilla bean to absorb some flavor. Any suggestions for which cigar to do this with?
    CAO Bella Vanilla