Home Non Cigar Related

Tiger Balm, Icey-Hot - any experiences with them?

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
Anyone have any experience with this stuff? How well/poorly does it work for you?

I've got a old injury in my neck - a pulled muscle or something that acts up occasionally. If I sleep in a bad position, I wake up and I'm unable to turn my head right or left without searing pain. It usually takes a few days or so to calm down and feel normal again. So I've gotten some Tiger Balm pads/gel, and the Icy-Hot gel in the hopes that it can relax the muscles enough to speed things along; it seems to sooth some of the pain after an hour or so (or at least the tingly sensation distracts me enough), but I'm not sure it's really doing much of anything beyond that.

Still, even as a placebo, these things provide something of a distraction, and they seem to mask the pain thru the tingling sensation they give off and it does seem to help a good bit.

Comments

• One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    When I wrestled I would use the highest strangth tiger balm in the little jars. IMO, it was pretty good for what it is. Also might want to look at Traumeel, that stuff is good for bumps, bruises, strains, anything where blood vessels were broken, though not exactly what you are looking for. One word of warning about Tiger Balm, I'd not put it any higher than your knee if using it on your leg, or you'll forget all about the pain in your neck ;)
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    neck pain sucks. yours sounds to be alittle more than muscle pain. my suggestion is to go see a upper cercical chiropractor. my wife is one . she read this post and really thinks you should find one in your area. there is no poping or twisting. these chiro's work on necks. they can help you the most.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    One2gofst:
    I'd not put it any higher than your knee if using it on your leg, or you'll forget all about the pain in your neck ;)
    Don't get it on your balls...all I'm gonna say...
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    One2gofst:
    I'd not put it any higher than your knee if using it on your leg, or you'll forget all about the pain in your neck ;)
    Or... Get it on your balls, if you're into it. Let's just say that the "Tiger" is one frisky kitty!
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Hays:
    One2gofst:
    Or... Get it on your balls, if you're into it. Let's just say that the "Tiger" is one frisky kitty!
    Haha! We used Icy Hot and Tiger Balm as a kind of...motivator back in the field (during FTX and Basic). If someone refused to wake up on time, someone would smear icy hot in the guy's ear. If someone had problems keeping up with the group during a run, someone would smear tiger balm in their PT shorts. Let's just say...they had more motivation to run faster lol.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    vegassparky:
    neck pain sucks. yours sounds to be alittle more than muscle pain. my suggestion is to go see a upper cercical chiropractor. my wife is one . she read this post and really thinks you should find one in your area. there is no poping or twisting. these chiro's work on necks. they can help you the most.
    Meh, it's not really my entire neck; just the back of my neck, and it seems to be a muscle that runs from the base of the left side of my skull to my left shoulder blade. Thanks for the suggestion; I'll look into my local chiro's

wwhwang:
    Lasabar:
    Hays:
    One2gofst:
    Haha! We used Icy Hot and Tiger Balm as a kind of...motivator back in the field (during FTX and Basic). If someone refused to wake up on time, someone would smear icy hot in the guy's ear. If someone had problems keeping up with the group during a run, someone would smear tiger balm in their PT shorts. Let's just say...they had more motivation to run faster lol.
    . . . I'm . . . . not sure how to respond to this . . . XD
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to use both as I was running track and field in high school and college. Pretty much everyone in track and field uses this stuff. Essentially what it does is create heat in that area which loosens the muscles up a bit. Same reason old people play better golf in the summer than the spring and fall; the heat warms up the muscles so they're not as stiff.

If you're having issues with these muscles already, I wouldn't recommend it. Try ice pack and Ibuprofen, not heat. If the muscle is inflamed (and it sounds like it is), heat will only serve to inflame it more. Ice will reduce any unneccessary swelling, and the Ibuprofen (disinflamatory) will reduce the inflamation in the muscle.

Icey Hot and Tiger Balm are for relaxation of properly functioning, yet sore muscles, not therapy for previous injuries.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    I used to use both as I was running track and field in high school and college. Pretty much everyone in track and field uses this stuff. Essentially what it does is create heat in that area which loosens the muscles up a bit. Same reason old people play better golf in the summer than the spring and fall; the heat warms up the muscles so they're not as stiff.

If you're having issues with these muscles already, I wouldn't recommend it. Try ice pack and Ibuprofen, not heat. If the muscle is inflamed (and it sounds like it is), heat will only serve to inflame it more. Ice will reduce any unneccessary swelling, and the Ibuprofen (disinflamatory) will reduce the inflamation in the muscle.

Icey Hot and Tiger Balm are for relaxation of properly functioning, yet sore muscles, not therapy for previous injuries.
    I'm with Suspect here, what he's saying is right on the money. The chiropractor may also be a good idea, make sure he/she does their homework first. (x-rays, etc. most will, but be sure) I'm saying this both from the perspective of one who has had injuries and lived with daily pain for > 25 years, and also as an RN with BSN, years of ER and ICU experience. Use ice & motrin first, use heat sparingly, the products you ask about are good for what they're good for, but they won't fix what's broke.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best advice, if you use it, wash your hands before taking a leak!
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    My best advice, if you use it, wash your hands before taking a leak!
    To this, I go back to:

Hays:
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I've always liked Icy-Hot and FlexAll. They are also great to rub in a dab on your temples when you have a headache. The one I use for muscle pains is Capzasin-HP. And I'll leave out what I think about chiropracters.