Home Non Cigar Related

Home made pasta sauce...

Anyone out there with a great pasta sauce recipe? Ive been outta brooklyn for too long, hit up my mom for an old Italian recipe, and we cant find any record of it. Any old school Italian's out there that wanna share? Ive got 3 bags of fresh tomato's that need to turn into some good gravy! Can PM if you dont wanna let family secrets out too far, lol.

Comments

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    This isn't much of a recipe, but it's just what I do.......

Prepare this a day or two in advance before serving.

I buy 1 32oz can of crushed tomatoes w/ Italian spices and a few small cans of whole stewed tomatoes. I get thinly sliced steak meat from the butcher and some spicy italian sausage and a vea shank or two with the bones. I get some fresh garlic and rough chop it (6-10 cloves depending on size), fresh basil rough chop, oregano (dried or fresh) and a bottle of cheap Chianti and some grated Romano cheese.

In a large pot I put in the tomatoes (cut the whole tomatoes in quarters) , some garlic, some basil, oregano, a cup or two of wine, the italian sausage, the veal w/bones(cut up any meat on the bones into small pieces) and a couple handfulls of the Romano cheese. Slowly bring to a boil. then reduce and simmer. In a separate skillet add olive oil and garlic till garlic is lightly browned, then add steaks and give them a good sear but don't cook through. Cut the steaks into small strips. Make a filling with the cheese and basil and roll a few small bracioles and use wooden toothpicks to keep them together. Add those to the pot. Cover and simmer on low for 6-8 hours, stirring occasionaly. Add salt or more herbs to taste. Remove from heat and cover. Place entire pot in fridge over night. The next day, simmer again for at least 4 hours before serving.

Optional step: Add a second day of 6-8 hours of simmering and re-refrigerate.

Depending on how much you want to make, you can increase or reduce the amount of crushed tomatoes. This will make a decent amount. But best to make a lot, cuz you can freeze and reheat and this stuff is still amazing.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    may go shopping tontie and try it out tomorrow. out of everything ive found, i think thats the winner.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I use Giada's recipe from her book "Everyday Italian" for a basic marinara. Simple, easy to change things here and there, and the original recipe alone is delicious. It also helps, in my own mind, that Giada is smoking hot.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    I use Giada's recipe from her book "Everyday Italian" for a basic marinara. Simple, easy to change things here and there, and the original recipe alone is delicious. It also helps, in my own mind, that Giada is smoking hot.
    +1 on Giada........
    Oh, I almost forgot. I gave you the recipe from memory....... before you put the tomatoes in the pot, chop an onion and a clove or two of garlic and sweat it in the pot w/ 3 tablespoons of olive oil.

The greatest thing about this recipe is that you can tweak it here and there. Add different vegetables (my father-in-law puts a whole carrot in there while it simmers for some natural sweetness), try different meats or make it vegetarian.
    lilwing88:
    Oh, I almost forgot. I gave you the recipe from memory....... before you put the tomatoes in the pot, chop an onion and a clove or two of garlic and sweat it in the pot w/ 3 tablespoons of olive oil.

The greatest thing about this recipe is that you can tweak it here and there. Add different vegetables (my father-in-law puts a whole carrot in there while it simmers for some natural sweetness), try different meats or make it vegetarian.
    went to my local store... couldnt get some key stuff... veal shank... and such.. gonna hit up a butcher tonite, if i still cant get what i need, ill wing it. wanna have this made up before the trip up to the cabin.
    NYHCx516x:
    lilwing88:

went to my local store... couldnt get some key stuff... veal shank... and such.. gonna hit up a butcher tonite, if i still cant get what i need, ill wing it. wanna have this made up before the trip up to the cabin.
    Totally wing it, bro! That's the beauty of it! You can substitute any kind of meat bone. Pork or beef is fine also.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    An easy way to add sweetness to your sauce is carrots, shopped really fine - it beats throwing in table sugar as far as the healthy factor goes. Celery is a great way to add saltiness. Again, finely chopped. After simmering, you barely notice the celery or carrots, and you happen to be adding some solid veggie vitamins into your sauce.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    bandyt09:
    TatuajeVI:
    +1 on Giada........
    +2 on Giada. I love her recipes. Wait recipe does translate to body in some language right?
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    An easy way to add sweetness to your sauce is carrots, shopped really fine - it beats throwing in table sugar as far as the healthy factor goes. Celery is a great way to add saltiness. Again, finely chopped. After simmering, you barely notice the celery or carrots, and you happen to be adding some solid veggie vitamins into your sauce.
    Hmmmm... Very good advice. Must try it!
    its cooking as we speak!
    How'd it go?
    not well. I dunno what i effed up. but it was runny, and didnt taste good. Ive still got more stuff, so im gonna give it a go again soon.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I can't help much except to say that when my wife makes hers it takes a long time. Like 2+ hours. She let's it simmer and taste tests it quite a bit. That probably doesn't help much. What kinds of stuff are you putting in yours?
    Sorry, bro. If it's too runny, try adding some tomato paste. Maybe a small can or two. As far as taste, play around with the seasoning and garlic. It takes some people years to get a good sauce recipe to perfection.......
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    If it's too runny, than you add paste and time... let it simmer ALL DAY and the sauce will reduce (I've taken a jar of PREGO and simmered it for about an hour to make it better)

Also, I use Marjoram, Bay leaves, and SUGAR in my recipe... Also, don't forget how much MEAT will add to it! The grease from Ground Round/Beef with smooth over any sauce, plus the grease will not let your sauce burn, but still vaporate the water!

My Dad's old recipe actually stated to cook ALL DAY for best results!