Home Cigar 101

Temp in Air VS humidity...anyone else here of this.....

So i know hays, you already told me but just getting feedback lol...check out this link

http://www.bonitasmokeshop.com/cigar_humidor_information_daniel.htm

Scroll down to the humidity chart, where it says if ur temp is high, your humidity should be lower...what do you all think?

Comments

• jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Im no scientest but I would think the term Relitive humidity means that that is the humidity it the humi no matter what the temp so 70 would be 70 no matter what (in my case 65). I know there are long term storage places that go down to 55rh. I would say this is BS to concern your self with all the temp humidity sh*& keep your sticks at a rh between 60 and 72 and your temp between 55 and 80. Keep smoking sticks and adjusting things to were YOU like them and leave them there.
    By there chart you would need it to rain on your stogies if the temp gets to 60 LOL
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally don't give a d#mn what the correlation is - I go strictly by what my hygro says the RH is. The only reason to care about the temp, IMHO, is that tobacco beetles can move around and seek mates at temps above 71 degrees. Period - end of commentary.

As long as my RH is 65% or less (down as low as 62%) I'm a happy camper.

Marty

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    So i know hays, you already told me but just getting feedback lol...check out this link

Scroll down to the humidity chart, where it says if ur temp is high, your humidity should be lower...what do you all think?
    yes. but not for the relative part of the rH. just cos i feel it produces a better cigar.

most of us keep our houses below 80 and above 60 so 65-66% in the summer. 68- 70% in the winter. i didnt look at the chart at all.... not sure what they had to say. thats what i have been trying over the last year. ive been happy with the burns and flavor all year.

but i like to deal in reality. many many people keep their houses within a 15 degree area all year. at that point a one point difference in rH wont mean a damn thing.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:

This is correct, technically, and you should realize the context in which this is correct, meaning all other factors remain the same. Warm air can absorb and keep as vapor a larger volume of moisture than cold air can. Weather 101. So as the temp goes up and the moisture volume available stays the same than the RH does go down. Relative humidity is the humidity related to the air's capacity for humidity at that particular time, or rather, temp.
  • ok.....well, ignore the fact im talking about humans...im talking about humidity....it says that for it to be at 70/70.....when the temp goes up, the percentage goes down which is equivalant to it being like 80/55....and that will still keep the cigars the same humidity....I ask cuz my cabinet is about 78/55 which is supposedly all good but I just dont know to trust it or not...
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:

Joey, yo're not reading the info correctly, it's trying to tell you how to adjust your hygrometer so it will read 70%RH at 70F!

As air becomes heated, or any gas for that matter, it's molecules become more excited and move appart, air of course is not a gas itself but a mixture, a mixture in which water (H2O) in it's gas form can be part of the mixture, water is peculiar in itself in that it can exist in gaseous form below its boiling point, 100celsius (sorry don't know what it is in Fahrenheit), so the higher the temperature the more easily water can exist in gaseous form in air and the greater the amount of water can exist in a given volume of air before 100% saturation is achieved, which is why the gulf coast states, SE Texas where I am frequently has an RH > 70% particularly at this time of year; also, Antartica for example would have an RH of 0% typically, since the air temperature would frequently be well below freezing so water would immediately become ice crystals and precipitate from air in this case 0% hmidity is also 100%RH since the air is holding as much water vapor as it can (zero!!!).

What the article and chart are telling you is if you get yor humidor to 49%RH at 80degrees, and assuming it is completely sealed (air-tight) and you drop the temperature to 70degrees, your RH will be at 70%. But what we want to do is keep it at 70% all the time and keep the temp as close to 70deg F as we can, also the humidor has some exchange of air, that is desirable in fact so your always going to have air with a different RH entering the humidor, but as long as you keep it as close to 70/70 as you can your cigars will stay in optimum condition.

• jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    ok.....well, ignore the fact im talking about humans...im talking about humidity....it says that for it to be at 70/70.....when the temp goes up, the percentage goes down which is equivalant to it being like 80/55....and that will still keep the cigars the same humidity....I ask cuz my cabinet is about 78/55 which is supposedly all good but I just dont know to trust it or not...
    My rh stays between 65 and 68 and my temp between 75 and 78 pretty much all year long and thats were I love my sticks. I would try to get your rh up a bit before you put your sticks in but if you put them in I dont think it would kill them. Like I said before there are long term storage places that keep there RH that low but I am not sure about the temp. If they are to dry or the RH drops to low when you put the sticks in get more beads and put your sticks back in the old humi until you get the RH up.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Stop overthinking it and go light one up.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    Stop overthinking it and go light one up.
    Truer words have never been typed
  • I was never a science wiz! lol....so i did a little test, threw a diesel in there and will let it sit there for today, and ill light it up tonight and see the difference
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I'm not gonna say it Joe...you know I'm thinking it, but I'm not gonna say it..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • yeah really....well I got the green light from ash for the trip to nic....so u want me to bring u back a gift? If all goes well, credit cards, and all debt paid off in two months, then saving enough cash the following 2 months for the trip.....im going to be shipping back so much stuff from there, such as coffee, probably around 20 pounds to be honest if they let me, rum, cigars, random stuff for the gf, a little nic wife so she can roll me cigars all day to smoke....um, lol...jk
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    yeah really....well I got the green light from ash for the trip to nic....so u want me to bring u back a gift? If all goes well, credit cards, and all debt paid off in two months, then saving enough cash the following 2 months for the trip.....im going to be shipping back so much stuff from there, such as coffee, probably around 20 pounds to be honest if they let me, rum, cigars, random stuff for the gf, a little nic wife so she can roll me cigars all day to smoke....um, lol...jk
    Eff you. I'm going.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • hey on tuesday when im off work around3:30 u want to go get our passports.....we will need to expedite them just to be safe they get here on time.....i think its 150 for the passport, 50 for expedited shipping to get it in 3 months...otherwise they can take 6 months
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    hey on tuesday when im off work around3:30 u want to go get our passports.....we will need to expedite them just to be safe they get here on time.....i think its 150 for the passport, 50 for expedited shipping to get it in 3 months...otherwise they can take 6 months
    Dude..My buddy's parents got theirs in like a month and half, without expediting. I have a feeling there's not a major backlog at the passport office right now...

• KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Joeyjoe21_8:

This is correct, technically, and you should realize the context in which this is correct, meaning all other factors remain the same. Warm air can absorb and keep as vapor a larger volume of moisture than cold air can. Weather 101. So as the temp goes up and the moisture volume available stays the same than the RH does go down. Relative humidity is the humidity related to the air's capacity for humidity at that particular time, or rather, temp.
    This is correct and the science is called Psychrometry. Warmer air can hold more moisture than colder air.