Home Cigar 101

La Aurora Preferidos Cameroon

I went to my local B&M yesterday and ended up walking out with this stick. It was a little overpowering at first (not the taste, which I found smooth and creamy and something else I haven't identified) but more like a head rush (I did not feel sick). I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew in the first 2-3 puffs but I finally got settled in. I'm wondering if that was a cigar I should have waited on and worked up to. Are these considered full bodied? Thanks, James

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Kinda hard to say without knowing more about you. A mild-bodied cigar can give a newbie a head rush if they smoke it on an empty stomach; a long-time aficionado (a lot of the guys on here) can smoke a full-bodied cigar first thing in the morning before breakfast and never feel a thing. So to a large degree, it just boils down to your personal tolerance for the nicotine.

I don't know much of anything about this stick, so I'll leave it to others to say if it's full-bodied to not; just know that a lot of BOTL's prefer mild sticks, so there's no need to smoke something if it's not up your alley.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I hope I didn't come across as arrogant - sorry if I did. .I agree with you, I prefer mild myself and I'm still just trying stuff out. It was sold as mild stick but it was completely different than any other mild I've had so it left me wondering if it was more than mild. thanks
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If you want to try a milder Preferido, take a look at the Sapphire. It's still not mild, but more medium strength and is probably the best Connecticut wrapped cigar I've had in terms of flavor.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    james40:
    I hope I didn't come across as arrogant - sorry if I did. .I agree with you, I prefer mild myself and I'm still just trying stuff out. It was sold as mild stick but it was completely different than any other mild I've had so it left me wondering if it was more than mild. thanks
    Not at all; it's just that we sometimes get people on here who think "you're not a real man unless you smoke full-bodied", and it's just a flat-out wrong assumption.

But anyway, if it was billed as a mild stick, it could've been any number of things. The cigar could've been mislabelled (since the body of a cigar is somewhat subjective), or it could've been you. Were you dehydrated? When was the last time you had eaten something? Were you in the sun while smoking or in a cool place? All these can increase the effect nicotine has on you, so it really could be any number of things.
    ok, cool. I had to turn down a cigar at the B&M cause he labeled as an ass kicker, lol. Knew I wasn't ready for that. I just recently came off house blends and now I'm trying to sample the market if you will. I always use the same type of routine. I smoke about 40 minutes after eating dinner and usually have coffee or Newcastle beer so I can have a baseline. This one felt like I had drank 3 red bulls back to back - like a rush. Didn't feel sick at all and it tasted great. Thanks for the help.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    Which B&M do you go to? I just noticed that you're from Chula Vista
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I had one of these the other day and I would say its a solid medium stick, no more or no less. It is a weird stick as the cameroon wrapper tends to be dry and sweet and it can burn funny. Don't assume too much with it though. Most cigar smokers will tell you that any cigar can sneak up on you. Try it again in a month and see what you think. I never let one cigar settle my judgement in its flavor/strength profile. I was so scared to try Cain F, MOW ruination, and LFD double ligero's and I didn't have trouble with any of them, but one time a 5 vegas gold got me a little sick. So keep your mind open and keep trying anything.
    shamrocked:
    Which B&M do you go to? I just noticed that you're from Chula Vista
    Racine and Laramie in Old Town. I know there are a couple of others in downtown s.d. but that's the only one I've been too (on my way to yard beers at O'hungry's).
    ironhorse:
    I had one of these the other day and I would say its a solid medium stick, no more or no less. It is a weird stick as the cameroon wrapper tends to be dry and sweet and it can burn funny. Don't assume too much with it though. Most cigar smokers will tell you that any cigar can sneak up on you. Try it again in a month and see what you think. I never let one cigar settle my judgement in its flavor/strength profile. I was so scared to try Cain F, MOW ruination, and LFD double ligero's and I didn't have trouble with any of them, but one time a 5 vegas gold got me a little sick. So keep your mind open and keep trying anything.
    It had a great flavor so I want to work up to it. Thanks.
    James40 and shamrocked, the Socal herf is getting together this saturday and if either, or both, of you can make it out we would love to have you. We herf in Temecula so the drive won't be horrible.
    j0z3r, is there a link with more information? I do have plans on Saturday but depending on the time, I might be able to make it. Thanks for the invite!!
    Here's the website, that will have address and phone info.Click We generally start filtering in around noon or so and stick around until about 7-8 pm, perhaps a bit later if that's how it goes. If you can make it, any time is good, and if not we meet about once or twice a month to herf and eat some killer Mexican food.