Home Cigar 101

Cigar Inventory

Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
I'm curious as to how many people buy/set-aside a certain amount of cigars to age for a specific period of time before smoking? Read an article, and was surprised at some of the responses, regarding individuals who have a rotation schedule for their cigars. I've also seen responses from individuals on these forums which show that most people have a general rotation schedule they like to stick to...whether it's 2 mos to a year. It almost seems like a smart idea to have some set aside while also having regulars smokes you can go to on a daily basis.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont have a "rotation schedule" but generally speaking, when i buy a larger amount of cigars i put the newer ones at the bottom. i put one or two in the aging humidor and the rest in the smoking humidor. everything in the aging humidor will see at least one year. i have a few from 06 (when i started the hobby) if i want to smoke something from the aging humidor... too bad. pretty much the only time i move cigars from the aging humidor to the smoking humidor is when a new order comes in and im rearranging it to make things fit.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    If I age, it's by default. I buy way more than I can smoke. I'm also the kind of guy who hates to smoke my last one or two of a stick. They usually get a year or two on them and then I'll finally light it up. I'm also the kind of guy who can't pick flavors out that well. I can taste cocco sometimes and obviously pepper, but other than that, I can just tell you if I like the cigar or not, so I don't see a big difference of aging.
  • SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    I am really keen on building up my stock of cigars prowling the daily deals here so I am sure to have them in the humi for a time. I've taken the advice on the forums that it's best to let sticks rest. I am also thinking about stocking up on cigars to mark milestones in my life whether it be birthdays or whatever so I plan to age some sticks for years. In fact I am now deciding whether to stock only one brand or many brands to celebrate birthdays for the next 10 years or so as I think it would be sort of a cool thing to do. Other milestones...are on the list so I am busy. I just hope I don't go broke and have to wait on dates just to smoke. As for daily smokes, I think a month would be enough rest time before lighting up on a good cigar---just my noob impression but correct me if I am misinformed.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    When I buy a an order, depending on how many I get, I usually just half it. Half goes into the smoking humi, and the other half goes into the aging humi.

"Long ashes my friends."

• I as well have a regular smoking humidor and an aging humi. Nothing in the aging gets smokes before a year
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    This thread sums up many feelings on rotation: http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/2/114911/ShowThread.aspx

• KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    undulac:
    If I age, it's by default. I buy way more than I can smoke. I'm also the kind of guy who hates to smoke my last one or two of a stick. They usually get a year or two on them and then I'll finally light it up. I'm also the kind of guy who can't pick flavors out that well. I can taste cocco sometimes and obviously pepper, but other than that, I can just tell you if I like the cigar or not, so I don't see a big difference of aging.
    I'm pretty much the same. But, one thing I do is I put a very small sticker with the date it's put into my Humi (either on the cello or the band). I do notice some smokes are different with age although my pallet isn't as developed as others here.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    +1, sort of. I recently have been getting to the stage where there are a number of my stiks that are beyond the one year mark. I am also starting to understand and appreciate "dry boxing" and how it enhances some stiks. So now I have three stages of storing. Large shipments get split into aging for at least a year, storing for sometime less than a year (at least six months) and a smaller number being kept in the "dry box" stage. I find that stiks that are over a year old don't usually require dry boxing. At this time of year I can just take it out for at least two hours and it smokes great. So far no problems. This is really an interesting hobby and can take a lot of time and thought.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    If I had more scratch I'd purposely age a certain portion of my sticks. I have some now with a couple years age on them, but it is just that is happened that way. Hopefully after I finish nursing school and get a job I am going to get a Waxing Moon humidor for my "smoke whenever I want" sticks, take my current colleridor and use it for overflow and put together another cooleridor for aging. That's the plan anyhow.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I have 4 humis. One for long term aging (3+ years), one for short term aging (1-3 years), one for general smoking and stuff to share and one for personal everyday smokes and overflow. The oldest is probably my God of Fire Carlito 04, followed by an 07 Opus Power Ranger that I've had for about 3 years now.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Sounds like its time to for me to invest in another humidor/coolerdor. I for one would like to have some stick set aside for aging but with friends and family coming over raiding my stash, hard to have any age for a great deal of time. I need to find a better hiding place for my sticks. Lol. On a serious note, when saying for aging I'm thinking there are certain sticks that comes to mind. I can't see how ALL sticks would benefit over time...thoughts?
  • SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    Hawk55:
    ....... I am also starting to understand and appreciate "dry boxing" and how it enhances some stiks. So now I have three stages of storing. Large shipments get split into aging for at least a year, storing for sometime less than a year (at least six months) and a smaller number being kept in the "dry box" stage. I find that stiks that are over a year old don't usually require dry boxing. At this time of year I can just take it out for at least two hours and it smokes great. So far no problems. .....
    How do you "DRY BOX" cigars?
  • Put them in a box to let them dry before smoking them.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    No schedule for rotation but typically I take 1 or 2 sticks from each score for aging purposes. That way I end up with a bunch of sticks that I only have a couple of. Most of my inventory is this way. I currently have 74 sticks across 50+ labels.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    None really, I just throw all my premium smokes like opus's, esg's, anejos, and a few cubans in the 300 count to age. I have almost all of them in there now with almost 3 years or more, which is fantastic. Sadly though I have no more room in there and I am amazed at how many opus's I've got over the years as well as gof's.. Anyway I put the rest of my singles and such in baggies in my tuppadors. I have way too many boxes I am running out of room to stuff singles anywhere. I don't dare to get another tuppador, as it is easy for my wife to see how much I have which isn't good, so it may be time to bring out the cabinet though there would have to be some serious furniture movement as I am just too lazy. Hopefully a house will come very soon...
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I don't have an ORDER, but all my sticks are in a spreadsheet and I do take notice as to what I smoke... Bad part is I tend to smoke the younger stuff (if I have multiples) and the older it gets, the less likely I will smoke it...

So basically I don't smoke my brand new stuff, or my old stuff, there's a sweet spot of about 7-9 months old cigars that I tend to smoke... Cool thing is that I started thinking this way awhile ago so I have whole boxes of cigars that I haven't touched at all that are about a year or more old... Don't know what I'm going to do with them, for NOW I don't want to smoke them for they are at least 13 months OLD!

I think it's time for another meeting around Obsessive Compulsive Cigar-dor!
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    hahaha couldn't have said it better myself.
    I also have a ton of singles I bought because I wanted to try them, then couldn't bring myself to smoke because I wouldn't have any left.