Home Ratings & Reviews

Labels vs. Performance

denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
Lately I have seen some talk about "I really didn't give this stick a try because of the label" or "the label looked cheap so I shyed away from the stick". I look at sticks like Tatuaje, Graycliff, and Illusione that have very basic labels and are great sticks and I look at some other sticks that have elaborate labels like Gurkha, and the overall experience is not great. Any thoughts on this? What's your favorite stick with an understated band.
I will start with my understated label pick - Fuente Anejo.

Comments

• lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Montecristo just about all of them. Yumm :)
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Padron
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    While I agree with Tats and Illusiones in your example, Graycliff often has very elaborate bands, and their cigars stand up to it, in my opinion. I love cigar bands, and thoroughly enjoy the artwork of them...as such, a fancy or artistic band might catch my eye more so than a plain band, but it doesn't affect my decision of smoking it..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    What about NO BANDS??? Give me some Backwoods with some warm beer on a hot Christmas morning and I'm as happy as a pig in a court room
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    no harm in liking backwoods. it's like smoking candy. better than an Acid IMO
  • The first time I tried Cubao - after hearing several people rave about how amazing it was - I was amazed at how cheap the label looked. It looked like a crappy house blend made in a small B&M. Sure enough, the cigar itself is pretty fantastic.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Camacho Diploma. Super basic cheap band, amazing stick!
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I like Nording. Simply says "Nording" with a small star. Great smoke that is awesome after a year.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    I wouldn't say it's my favorite stick, but something I do enjoy is the Felipe Pelo De Oro..comes with a very mediocre band but is a great mild smoke...guess it all boils down to your personal preference. I try to give every cigar a fair shake, regardless of what the band looks like. Although as some have already stated, I do like looking at their designs!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Duder2:
    Camacho Diploma. Super basic cheap band, amazing stick!
    diploma maduro...

good call.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Partagas 150. Ugly simple band, fantastic stick.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Seriously, my favorite style of cigar band is the brown and white band used by Edmundo Dantes, Montecristo, Sancho Panza, Padron, H Upmann (ISOM), etc. There is something classic and simple to it that really makes it about the cigar, not the art. Don't get me wrong, I have my favorite over the top snazzy bands like the Opus Forbidden X, or the My Father Le Bijou... but put a simple brown and white band on it, and I am still just as likely, if not more likely to pick it up and try it.

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Opus X, one of my favorite and I love the cigar. Ashton ESG's, love the band, the cigar is much in question VSG, now I love the band and love the cigar.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    on that note Pheebs, I really like the San Cristobal and it has a very elaborate band. Opus X has a great band, i also like the VSG and it's band is very ornate.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    CAO La Traviata. Cheap looking brand AND cheap price, but it was a great smoke.

Conversely, Padilla Cazadores had a pretty elaborate band and I didn't like the smoke much (still cheap price, though).
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Alec Bradley Tempus, love the cigar and the band looks great

"Long ashes my friends."

• ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I really like the RP Signature and thats nothing fancy. Also, even though the cigar is unique and draws your eye, the nub band is pretty plain. I also like the Romeo y Julieta Viejo which is plain and I love me a davidoff too.
  • El Baton. Simple band, great smoke.
  • The band usually doesnt make or break my decision but I really do enjoy an attractive band. Love the Oliva Master Blends III band.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I've been enjoying RP Olde World Reserves, which normally have a very nice band....but I bought seconds so these have no bands. I can't say that I miss the band, and have been really happy with the quality.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    The La Aroma de Cuba cigars have very nice bands and I love the sticks! An amazing cigar witha pretty simple band is the Anejo. Also the Ambos Mundos come to mind as a great cigar witha simple band. On another hand you have a cigar like the Cugine which has probably the ugliest cigar band ever, but is a fantastic smoke!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I think alot have been covered, but an unbanded cigar really annoys me!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Theedge:
    I've been enjoying RP Olde World Reserves, which normally have a very nice band....but I bought seconds so these have no bands. I can't say that I miss the band, and have been really happy with the quality.
    I have about 20 or so of the OWR 2nds maduros. Great smoke, and price!

"Long ashes my friends."

• pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    I cant believe no one has mentioned the MOW bands, which are totally bada$$

• Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    must disagree on the gurkahs being "not great". I've liked just about all of them. that said, anyone who judges a cigar based on it's label is someone who's opinion I would most likely take very lightly. Didnt your mother ever tell you to never judge a book by its cover??