Home Cigar 101

Just curious...

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
One of the members in our camping/RV club smokes machine made cigars and I just wondered about how they're stored. The 5-packs you see in stores are wrapped in cello as are each of the individual cigars but they sit on store shelves for who-knows-how-long without any humidification. The guy who smokes 'em doesn't seem to know the difference - so my question is:

Are they made somehow differently than the hand-mades so that they don't require humidity control? And if so, what's the difference?

Anybody got any ideas on this?

Marty

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Machine-made cigars are usually made with dry-cured tobacco. Basically, the tobacco is cured quickly in an oven. The end result is that they don't need to be stored in a traditional 70/70 environment.

Also, machine-made cigars are infused with the tears of demons and rolled on the backs of harlequin babies.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    Machine-made cigars are infused with the tears of demons and rolled on the backs of harlequin babies.

Hmmm. Tears of demons, eh? No wonder us good guys don't buy 'em.

Thanks for the insight, though. Not only hadn't I thought about dry-curing but I'm not sure if I even knew how that was done.

Marty

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    sightunseen:
    Also, machine-made cigars are infused with the tears of demons and rolled on the backs of harlequin babies.
    ROTFL
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    hahaha, oh that is funny.

fyi, i gave a cigar (not sure which one but it was a maddy) to my best friend's gf and a couple of months later she smoked it outside when we all were bbq-ing and the thing burned better than my cigar which I had in the humi for a while. Her cigar was in a cupboard the entire time. So this made me wonder how much the "humi" is needed for unless your storing for a long while and of course to fight off against beetles.
  • I thought about this last year when my B&M was displaying Opus X's for fathers day. They had the Tins which stored 3 Opus X's inside but they had them on display in the store not in a humidor. The Tins were wrapped in Cello but just sitting out in the open and they were there till they sold out so like 3 months.... hhmmm I sure would be mad if I bought some Opus and they were trashed because they set on the shelf for 3 months....
    P.S. I bought my Tin right as they were putting them on the shelf. Mine tasted GOOD !!! :-)
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    phobicsquirrel:
    fyi, i gave a cigar (not sure which one but it was a maddy) to my best friend's gf and a couple of months later she smoked it outside when we all were bbq-ing and the thing burned better than my cigar which I had in the humi for a while. Her cigar was in a cupboard the entire time. So this made me wonder how much the "humi" is needed for unless your storing for a long while and of course to fight off against beetles.
    I have said it before, and I will stick to it. "Dry-Boxing" is taking a cigar out of your humidor and putting it in an 'un-humidified' humidor or a cigar box with a good lid for up to 5 DAYS before smoking it. It works best with Maduro cigars and cigars like the 5 Vegas Relic that have loads of oils in the tobacco. It lowers the RH level, starting from the wrapper, and the natural oils of the cigar make up for the humidity loss. It will make a stuborn cigar burn better than anything in a humidor.

I've had forum members say things like "why would I want to smoke a dry cigar?" Now you know why.
    Changing the humidity for a few days will not cause any significant issue with your cigar, and MIGHT help it to burn better. I don't suggest trying this with a light bodied stick, as it might dry out too much. Try it out with something med to full bodied, with lots of Ligero leaf or oily tobaccos and you will see what I am talking about.

View this video from ccom

• jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    I was wondering about macanudo you can get them in like any store and I think there still handmade .
    as far as machine made they also use alot of homoginized tabacco for there wrappers and binders which with the dry-cured tabacco
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I have said it before, and I will stick to it. "Dry-Boxing" is taking a cigar out of your humidor and putting it in an 'un-humidified' humidor or a cigar box with a good lid for up to 5 DAYS before smoking it. It works best with Maduro cigars and cigars like the 5 Vegas Relic that have loads of oils in the tobacco. It lowers the RH level, starting from the wrapper, and the natural oils of the cigar make up for the humidity loss. It will make a stuborn cigar burn better than anything in a humidor.

I've had forum members say things like "why would I want to smoke a dry cigar?" Now you know why.
    Changing the humidity for a few days will not cause any significant issue with your cigar, and MIGHT help it to burn better. I don't suggest trying this with a light bodied stick, as it might dry out too much. Try it out with something med to full bodied, with lots of Ligero leaf or oily tobaccos and you will see what I am talking about.

Some good advice!
    I've never dry boxed but I do tend to keep the humi in the low 60's for I never have time to plan a cigar... If I happen to have an hour or two that I'm free and the weather permits I'll be darned if I don't just grab one and go!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    camgfs:
    phobicsquirrel:

Some good advice!
    I've never dry boxed but I do tend to keep the humi in the low 60's for I never have time to plan a cigar... If I happen to have an hour or two that I'm free and the weather permits I'll be darned if I don't just grab one and go!
    I'm more along the lines with lassy here. I don't really plan out smoking anything, I just sort of grab what catches my eye. Though I will give this a try with my maduros.
  • I had to dry box my Johnnie Walker infused cigars. They were almost dripping with goodness !
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    The Cank:
    I had to dry box my Johnnie Walker infused cigars. They were almost dripping with goodness !
    nice, i got some jw too, what cigars did u use?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Krieg:
    The Cank:
    I had to dry box my Johnnie Walker infused cigars. They were almost dripping with goodness !
    nice, i got some jw too, what cigars did u use?

Fuente special selection, cheap as hell,l They started to unravel right at 6 months but they are good. Im sending you one in my package. actually on my way to the post office in just a second