Home Cigar 101

New Humidor - Need Help

So bought my first humidor and need a little help setting it up. it game with a black circular piece looks like there is a sponge in it and a analog guage. whats the best way to set this up? Thanks for all the help in advance.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Use the search function - there's at least 2 or 3 people asking this very same question every week (literally). Just search for "humidor help" or "seasoning humidor" and you'll find at least 50 different threads

This is a list of threads just from the first 2 pages of this forum:

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/182791.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/186365.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/185552.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/181605.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/180603.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/177651.aspx

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    RaschNuts:
    So bought my first humidor and need a little help setting it up. it game with a black circular piece looks like there is a sponge in it and a analog guage. whats the best way to set this up? Thanks for all the help in advance.
    I am sure that somewhere in that wealth of information mentioned above, it will say throw both of those devices away, and upgade with beads for humidity, and digital gauge for hygrometer.
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    Thanks guys. Any recomandations on some good cigars i have pretty fond of the Rocky Patel 90-92. also should i leave the cigars in the individual sleeves or does it matter?
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    The cellophane sleeves? That's really up for debate. It's mostly personal preference. If you tend to poke and shuffle through your cigars a lot, I'd suggest leaving the cello on, since it protects the wrapper from being chipped or cut off (which is annoying as hell). If you tend to leave your cigars alone a lot of the time and you want them to age faster, feel free to take them off. Personally, I leave them on at all times since I tend to go through my inventory a lot.

I would suggest getting your grubby newbie hands on anything and everything you can try out. Find out what you like and what you don't. Good way to start this is trying out the AJ Fernandez Dirty Dozen Sampler. A lot of superb cigars for just 29 bucks. If you're on a tight budget, I would suggest looking into 5 Vegas Classic, Gold, Gold Maduro, A series, and Triple AAA. If you want to expand into more sweet, earthy, and chocolatey cigars, look into Gurkha. I also HIGHLY recommend looking into the Man O' War series. I love them all. Actually, I suggest trying out anything on my wishlist. Just click on my profile and check out the list.
  • babsdpubabsdpu Posts: 143
    Because I haven't echoed what's already been said hundreds of times already, I will now--ditch the black puck and the analog hygrometer, and get a digital and something more advanced for the humidifier. Lots of people here seem to like the beads, I have a puck-looking thing with I guess what are similar to beads in it--except mine takes the 50/50 solution and I believe the beads just use distilled water. From what I've heard, either works. My sorta-bead-puck has a magnet which sits in the lid of the humidor for convenience.

Oliva is also a good cigar brand for beginners. Work your way up the alphabet--start with the Connecticut, then try the G, then the O, and when you're feeling adventurous, the V. All reasonably priced. Fuente is also good, that's the brand that got me started!

The cello question has been debated for about as long as the "Is this the year Brett Favre retires?" question. For me, if a cigar comes wrapped already, I leave it on. If it doesn't, no worries there either. Welcome and have fun!
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Fellow BORK...seek adventure. Search the threads, do a little reading. I guarantee you that most every question you have will be available... and too, as you see, the brothers here will indeed answer your post if you do not search the thread. But there is an abundance of knowledge dispersed throughout these forums on just about every question you may have.
  • Thanks again everyone.

My beads, Digital Hydro and new lighter should be in today.

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    RaschNuts:
    Thanks guys. Any recomandations on some good cigars i have pretty fond of the Rocky Patel 90-92. also should i leave the cigars in the individual sleeves or does it matter?
    hey raschnuts (funny name btw) what size humi did you get? Also if you like the rp 90 ( i do too) send me your mailing address (pm me) and I'll send you out some sticks to try this weekend (if you'd like - I have some you may like).
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Hawk55:
    Fellow BORK...seek adventure. Search the threads, do a little reading. I guarantee you that most every question you have will be available... and too, as you see, the brothers here will indeed answer your post if you do not search the thread. But there is an abundance of knowledge dispersed throughout these forums on just about every question you may have.
    okay what is this BORK? I know i was gone for a month...
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Hawk55:
    okay what is this BORK? I know i was gone for a month...
    I'm in the same boat as you... I was gone for it... I think it has to do with Pokeman
  • When I joined and started reading, BORK and BOTL were both heavily used. I did mad research and think I figured it out. I think somebody fat-fingered the keyboard while trying to type BOTL and got BORK....then it just kinda stuck. Am I right?
  • phobicsquirrel:
    RaschNuts:

hey raschnuts (funny name btw) what size humi did you get? Also if you like the rp 90 ( i do too) send me your mailing address (pm me) and I'll send you out some sticks to try this weekend (if you'd like - I have some you may like).

I got a 40-50 Humi (getting pretty full since i bought a box of 92's. and got a Gurkha sampler with todays special.

The name comes from 5th grade my last name is Rasch(rash) someone tried teasing me about it and the name just stuck.