Home Cigar 101

Hygrometer fit issue

The humidor I have has a hole in the front, below the lid, to hold the hygrometer so that the face of the hygro is flush with the outside of the wood. I recently replaced the analog hygro with a digital and I'm having problems getting a tight fit on the front of the humidor. The analog came with a rubber ring that ensured it fit properly. The digital did not and on its own is too small to fit properly. The rubber ring combined with the digital won't fit as it's too big. So, I'm left with either sanding out the hole in the humidor (not sure if that's even a good idea), trying to somehow reshape the rubber ring, or leaving the analog in the hole in the front and then tossing the digital into the humi. I'm not sure how I should proceed, any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    buy a cooler. you are gunna need it anyway.

id just leave the old hygrometer in and place the digital inside.

the analog looks good.
    ...bout the only thing its good for.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    The humidor I have has a hole in the front, below the lid, to hold the hygrometer so that the face of the hygro is flush with the outside of the wood. I recently replaced the analog hygro with a digital and I'm having problems getting a tight fit on the front of the humidor. The analog came with a rubber ring that ensured it fit properly. The digital did not and on its own is too small to fit properly. The rubber ring combined with the digital won't fit as it's too big. So, I'm left with either sanding out the hole in the humidor (not sure if that's even a good idea), trying to somehow reshape the rubber ring, or leaving the analog in the hole in the front and then tossing the digital into the humi. I'm not sure how I should proceed, any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
    Less work is leave Analog in for looks and put Digi one in Humi...
    More work means do all that custom fitting and such to get the same results, but having a nice wood humi with a Digital Readout.

Question though, my round hygrometer has slats in the front and sides to let air in as well, if your's is the same way then do NOT put it in the front of your humi, as much as you have to make sure the Hygro is airtight so the HUMI doesn't leak, you have to make just as sure that the ambient air isn't getting into the Hygro from the OUTSIDE which will throw your readings off.

I know there are many different hygros so it wouldn't suprise me if yours was different than mine.

Or if the RUBBER ring is too big, can you use a rubber band? or mulitples to BUILD up to a tight seal?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Or if the RUBBER ring is too big, can you use a rubber band? or mulitples to BUILD up to a tight seal?
    that right there is a good idea.

another option is weather strip if you can find some small enough. this has the added advantage of having a sticky side.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    kuzi16:
    Lasabar:
    that right there is a good idea.

another option is weather strip if you can find some small enough. this has the added advantage of having a sticky side.
    Good idea, didn't think of that. Thanks for the ideas.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Another thing you gotta consider is, where is the 'intake' vent on the digital? If it's in the front, then the hygro is only gonna display the outside RH %, not the RH in your humi.

The reason the analog works is that there's a metal spring inside that expands/contracts with the humidity, and there's a hole in the back of the hygro - so the humidified air for an analog enters thru the back, not the front (whereas most digital hygro's have their intake vent in the front, not the back).
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Another thing you gotta consider is, where is the 'intake' vent on the digital? If it's in the front, then the hygro is only gonna display the outside RH %, not the RH in your humi.

The reason the analog works is that there's a metal spring inside that expands/contracts with the humidity, and there's a hole in the back of the hygro - so the humidified air for an analog enters thru the back, not the front (whereas most digital hygro's have their intake vent in the front, not the back).

Exactly..
    You're better off putting back the Analog for looks and throw the digital inside.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    That's exactly what I did - tossed the digi into the humi. Going to K.I.S.S. and leave well enough alone. Thanks for the suggestions.