Home Cigar 101

New Cigar

im sure this question has been asked before but all i can find are some aging posts and none really hit this question directly.

How long after you get a cigar should i wait to smoke it? Is it ok to smoke right away or should i age it for a month 2 months etc.

I read in one of the aging posts that its not a bad idea to try a new one then wait 3 months and try it, 6 months and try it, a yr then 3yrs and keep notes.

Or does everything come down to personal preference.

Thanks in advance for the help/links to the right posts that have come already.

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    There's no real right answer. Some cigars taste fine right out of the mail while others do not. It depends on the cigar, and you. In general though, you can't really go wrong by letting new smokes sit for 4-6 weeks before trying them. That gives them plenty of time to acclimate to a properly humidified environment and get over any travel shock.

I typically buy two of anything new I want to try. 1 to try relatively new, somewhere from 1 day-6 weeks of rest (usually around the 6 week mark). The second one I will try 6 months to a year later. I don't keep notes, I just remember, but that's certainly not a bad idea.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forums. To answer your question, you should let them sit for at least a week when you get them in the mail (some people let them sit for even longer). This is not an aging issue, but an acclimation issue. The cigars go through some pretty extreme temperature changes en route so an acclimation period will help them smoke better. I will be the first to plead guilty to smoking some sticks OTT (off the truck) because I was impatient.

As for aging, if a cigar gives you problems after the acclimating period, then your aging interval sounds like a good plan. As you also mentioned, it all comes down to personal preference. Most cigars usually get better with age.
  • Thanks Guys looks like ill be waiting a little longer to try my Gurkha's i have coming. got the 10 sampler and the daily special. Also looking forward to the cigar of the month i just signed up for. i bought a 40-50 cap. Humi. and looks like i already need a bigger one.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I've found that 1-2 weeks is about right for a cigar to 'settle down' after shipping. That said, there are some cigars I enjoy smoking right off the truck - it really depends on the cigar.

Full-bodied cigars benefit more from aging than mild cigars (for full-bodied's, the general recommendation is 6mo or so for the oils to settle down, though you can smoke them just a week or so after receiving and still enjoy).

If you're really patient, even a mild cigar can benefit from a year of aging.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I will say it, I will try any stick ROTT at least once.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    If I order enough, I like to do the same.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    fla-gypsy:
    Okay, I googled this.... what is ROTT... is this another BORK thing?
  • right off the truck
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Russ55:
    fla-gypsy:
    Starting to think someone DID hack Lassy's account...
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Hayblet:
    Lasabar:
    Russ55:
    fla-gypsy:
    That's not possible... I have a password that ONLY I would know.... it's my social security number, and there's no other number like that in the world! So THERE!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Lasabar:
    Hayblet:
    Lasabar:
    Russ55:
    fla-gypsy:
    That's not possible... I have a password that ONLY I would know.... it's my social security number, and there's no other number like that in the world! So THERE!
    Right Off The Truck...

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:

Full-bodied cigars benefit more from aging than mild cigars (for full-bodied's, the general recommendation is 6mo or so for the oils to settle down, though you can smoke them just a week or so after receiving and still enjoy).

If you're really patient, even a mild cigar can benefit from a year of aging.

I would agree with this. Full bodied smokes benefit the most from aging, especially maduros. If you take the cello off and group like cigars together, they will start to marry after a few years and really start coming into their own. I bought some RP OWR maduros, which don't use cello and have them sitting in my humi now for over 2 years. I smoked one the other day and it was probably one of the best smokes I've had all year. Cubans typically especially benefit from aging. Back in the day when they made really good power house smokes, it was not uncommon for someone to buy a box and age it a minimum of a few years before they even smoked one. Thankfully Cuba is returning to this with the new release of the Behike.

The more cigars you smoke, the better you're gonna be able to determine which cigars benefit from aging and which ones don't.

"Long ashes my friends."