Home Cigar 101

Herfador

Hey everybody. I just ordered a herfador for when I travel/camp/hunt...all that good stuff. I hadn't figured on actually storing cigars on there except for when I'm actually on a trip. However, I saw an old post today where somebody had a hygro in their herfador. If I can maintain temp/rh is there a reason not to keep a couple cigars in a herfador? Thanks.

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    shawtd:
    Hey everybody. I just ordered a herfador for when I travel/camp/hunt...all that good stuff. I hadn't figured on actually storing cigars on there except for when I'm actually on a trip. However, I saw an old post today where somebody had a hygro in their herfador. If I can maintain temp/rh is there a reason not to keep a couple cigars in a herfador? Thanks.
    Air Circulation... Although Cigars need to have the Air and Humidity be regulated, all humidors has SOME air passage to make sure your cigars can breath and you have circulation...

Basically that is the only reason (besides NEW herf's will have a little bit of plastic smell) so if you open the herf-a-dor about once every other week or so it'd be okay, just not ideal... and you'd want to put BEADS in there not the green sponge!
  • Thanks a lot for the help. I'm not "planning" on keeping them in there, but I can see myself running out of room and needing a bit of extra. Thanks again. This community rocks.
  • I never us the sponge on my Herf I always throw a water pillow in with my sticks
    The Cank:
    I never us the sponge on my Herf I always throw a water pillow in with my sticks
    True to this as well as Boveda Packs... either of the three ways will work!
  • JY001JY001 Posts: 49
    Lasabar:
    shawtd:
    Hey everybody. I just ordered a herfador for when I travel/camp/hunt...all that good stuff. I hadn't figured on actually storing cigars on there except for when I'm actually on a trip. However, I saw an old post today where somebody had a hygro in their herfador. If I can maintain temp/rh is there a reason not to keep a couple cigars in a herfador?

Thanks.
    Air Circulation... Although Cigars need to have the Air and Humidity be regulated, all humidors has SOME air passage to make sure your cigars can breath and you have circulation...

Basically that is the only reason (besides NEW herf's will have a little bit of plastic smell) so if you open the herf-a-dor about once every other week or so it'd be okay, just not ideal... and you'd want to put BEADS in there not the green sponge!

This definitely makes sense. I am setting up a Coolidor for my overflow. Should I be concerned about air flow? I'm using an Igloo and it seems pretty tight.
    JY001:
    Lasabar:
    shawtd:

This definitely makes sense. I am setting up a Coolidor for my overflow. Should I be concerned about air flow? I'm using an Igloo and it seems pretty tight.
    Pretty airtight and Herf-a-Dor tight are two different things.... PLUS if your anything like me you'll be checking your stash quite often so the air will circulate

and if you're REALLY like me Double up on your beads... if 2 cubic feet call for a 1/2lb. of beads I'd go with a pound.... I've always loved just NOT checking my beads so I overbuy on them!
  • JY001JY001 Posts: 49
    Thanks Lasabar!

Shawtd, sorry for the thread jack.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I had a 5 count one (till I got drunk and lost it.... Whole diffrent thread...) and found if you take the foam out you can fit 10 in there with a water pillow. I took it on many a hunting trips as well as to the ship. Worked fantastic for medium term storage
    JY001:
    Thanks Lasabar! Shawtd, sorry for the thread jack.
    No prob Brosif!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    I had a 5 count one (till I got drunk and lost it.... Whole diffrent thread...) and found if you take the foam out you can fit 10 in there with a water pillow. I took it on many a hunting trips as well as to the ship. Worked fantastic for medium term storage
    doesn't the foam like protect the sticks?
  • JY001:
    Thanks Lasabar! Shawtd, sorry for the thread jack.
    Ha, are you kidding? I'm learning. Now going to start planning for a coolerdor. That solves my "I can't buy those, I don't have room in my tiny little humidor" problem.