Home Cigar 101

Humidity Issues

Is there ever a need to re-season a humidor? My humidity has dropped to 60%. I have recharged the humidifier, but am not having much like. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    It can be necessary to re-season a humidor if you are having problems keeping humidity but I would check the seal before you start doing it. Use the dollar bill test to make sure you arent just loosing the humidity. Place the bill along the seal and shut the lid on the bill and try to pull it out. If the bill just comes right out without any tension that might be your problem. Repeat the test on all sides of the humidor.
  • Are you using a analog or digital hydrometer?
  • I've checked the seal, and everything appears to be good. Could it be just fluctuations based on temp/humidity in my house? Will beads do a better job of maintaining humidity than the basic humidifier that came with the humidor?
  • ctremblay187:
    Are you using a analog or digital hydrometer?
    digital
  • Yes to beads ! Go to conservagel.com. Great price
  • I've never used beads. Do I just put them in a small bowl or shot glass with distilled water?
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    mcadenhead:
    I've never used beads. Do I just put them in a small bowl or shot glass with distilled water?
    Costly: Buy the beads already in the pucks or tubes. Work great, but cost the most

Less Expensive: Buy the large BAG for the beads... It only costs a couple bucks and works great

Least expensive: Use Nylons... Tie off one end, fill with beads and then tie the other end off....

I use a variations of all three, and I like the bags or nylons the best for that 360* affect, the pucks just have one side....

And yes, make HALF the beads clear with DISTILLED water and you'll be fine
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Lasabar:
    mcadenhead:
    I've never used beads. Do I just put them in a small bowl or shot glass with distilled water?
    Costly: Buy the beads already in the pucks or tubes. Work great, but cost the most

Less Expensive: Buy the large BAG for the beads... It only costs a couple bucks and works great

Least expensive: Use Nylons... Tie off one end, fill with beads and then tie the other end off....

I use a variations of all three, and I like the bags or nylons the best for that 360* affect, the pucks just have one side....

This is a link to ConservaGel beads. They are the cheapest and are Museum quality. They work and come in two RH ranges 65% or 70%. They also come with mesh bags so you don't have to use the GF's pantyhose.

http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CONSERVAGEL
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Lasabar:
    mcadenhead:

This is a link to ConservaGel beads. They are the cheapest and are Museum quality. They work and come in two RH ranges 65% or 70%. They also come with mesh bags so you don't have to use the GF's pantyhose.

http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CONSERVAGEL
    pantyhose? didn't know gf's wore those....? hehe..
  • pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    Ive been using BOveda packs this whole time and theyve worked really well, but do yall think theyre too expensive? I use 4 at a time and they last for like 3-4 months how I use them, so it runs me about $20/4months
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    pnaylon:
    Ive been using BOveda packs this whole time and theyve worked really well, but do yall think theyre too expensive? I use 4 at a time and they last for like 3-4 months how I use them, so it runs me about $20/4months
    I am 100% behind bovwda packs. But like you said over tome the get pricey. I normally use gel that I recharge with 50/50. I still use the bovedas in the winter as a boost to humidity when the air gets really dry. I still keep a few on hand. If you don't need em, put em in a ziploc bag and they'll stay good until you take em back out.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    pnaylon:
    I have a friend who is quite "Well-off" and in his 9 months of smoking has bought over 800 cigars and he exclusively uses those packs...

Only real difference is that Boveda there is no muss - no fuss.... You buy more when they run low, the beads they need some water on occasion.
    Long story short, Boveda are great but more expensive in the LONG term... either way you're fine
  • kos22uskos22us Posts: 47
    did you test your hygrometer, even the digitals arent safe to go by word, my first was a little havana digi and it was 9 degrees off in both the salt test and the boveda one-step calibration, i now bought a xikar that can be calibrated, funny thing is it was only 1 degrees off so i didnt really even need it
  • I didn't test the hygro. My cigars of been a little drier than normal. I'm going to order the beads today
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    mcadenhead:
    I didn't test the hygro. My cigars of been a little drier than normal. I'm going to order the beads today
    Which beads to order kinda depends on where you live. In Florida, it's usually humid, so 65% is the way to go since the humidity will only rise; if you live in a dry environment, you may wanna order the 70% beads since the air will drag the RH down
  • I miss my years in Florida. You could always count on hot and humid. Never quite sure what to expect in Indiana. Would 70% beads be appropriate in a cooler climate?