Home Cigar 101

Lighter question..

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
I know this was answered before but I'm just too darn lazy to search through stuff...

Anyway I have a few lighters and it seems they all started doing this about the same time. I purge it, then fill it then I go to ignite it and I get nothing. I'm thinking that something maybe be a bit clogged but I for the life of me can't think of what to use to clean it. Maybe a air compressor? I have a ixkar which I was thinking about sending it in but don't really want to pay the shipping. After several pushes of the clicker I get small burst flames but it takes for ever to get a steady flame. With the duel lighter I get the same thing but at times one jet will fire and the other wont. Any ideas?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Yesterday I was reading an article about lighter maintenance and they say to use an air can to blow out any residue/buildup on the lighter.
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    I dont know but Ive been having the same problem and if frusturates my greatly. I have a dual flame torch. If I do manage to get it going nice if I let off then try to push it again no luck. I have semi ruined some sticks with the one flame working and the other going in and out cause I will be using the good flame then the other will kick in and torch down the side. I chalk it up to the cheap fluid I use. Need to get some xikar fluid. Probably just going to get a new torch also.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like something's clogged. My lighter was sparking, but the flame was ridiculously low if it actually came through. Took canned air and blew through it. Lighter works like a charm again.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I was having the same issues with one of my lighters a while back. The air can fixed the problem but it keeps happening every couple of times I fill it. The best lighter I have is the $5 single torch I picked up at the B&M a while ago. It never clogs and it never seems to have any problems filling. Oh crap I probably just jinxed myself on that one.
  • You may want to change your butane. I had some colibri butane... thought my lighter was ruined..sent it back to xikar. They shipped it back to me with a free can of their butane and I've never had a problem since. I accidentally filled one of my lighters up with the old colibri butane and it wouldn't work. Bled it, put the xikar butane in, fired like a charm.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    24footjet:
    You may want to change your butane. I had some colibri butane... thought my lighter was ruined..sent it back to xikar. They shipped it back to me with a free can of their butane and I've never had a problem since. I accidentally filled one of my lighters up with the old colibri butane and it wouldn't work. Bled it, put the xikar butane in, fired like a charm.
    I use vector butane, it's some of the best out there. I don't think it's that. But yes, I use to use an inferior fuel and it caused some problems.

Thanks for the info on the air can, I'll pick some up. You guys just spray it inside the opening of the lighter?
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    As for the compressed air, be careful to blow sort of indirectly, or from a greater distance than you normally would, as the sparking mechanism can easily become dislodged and malfunction if hit directly.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if it is only right after you fill it and does not persist to the next day or so it may just be frozen.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    I have had similar problems with the Colibri fuel. I now only use the Xikar fuel.... it eems to be the charm.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    good point Kuzi...
  • Matches.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    SgtRick:
    Matches.
    My matches always get clogged...
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    phobicsquirrel:
    I know this was answered before but I'm just too darn lazy to search through stuff...

Anyway I have a few lighters and it seems they all started doing this about the same time. I purge it, then fill it then I go to ignite it and I get nothing. I'm thinking that something maybe be a bit clogged but I for the life of me can't think of what to use to clean it. Maybe a air compressor? I have a ixkar which I was thinking about sending it in but don't really want to pay the shipping. After several pushes of the clicker I get small burst flames but it takes for ever to get a steady flame. With the duel lighter I get the same thing but at times one jet will fire and the other wont. Any ideas?
    lol had the exact same issue with my xikar a few months back and stopped using it, I thought about sending it but worried about the cross boarder issues that may arise, so tonight I sprayed every opening with air and tried it, still didn't get anything, get the click but nothing, then i tried it again pressing enough to hear the gas then finished the cycle and it ignited, had to do it like that a few more times and now it works properly one single click I get my torch, YAY...
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    use the can of 02 you would use to clean your keyboard.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    phobicsquirrel:

lol had the exact same issue with my xikar a few months back and stopped using it, I thought about sending it but worried about the cross boarder issues that may arise, so tonight I sprayed every opening with air and tried it, still didn't get anything, get the click but nothing, then i tried it again pressing enough to hear the gas then finished the cycle and it ignited, had to do it like that a few more times and now it works properly one single click I get my torch, YAY...
    DD, I can picture you with a lighter next to your ear, clicking it trying to hear the gas escape, and it finally ignites, setting your ear hair ablaze in a large "FWOOSH!" image
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Smoke=Fire:
    Diamondog:
    phobicsquirrel:

DD, I can picture you with a lighter next to your ear, clicking it trying to hear the gas escape, and it finally ignites, setting your ear hair ablaze in a large "FWOOSH!" image
    lol....it was actually pointing at my face when it ignited! Started me a little lol...