Home Cigar 101

Henry Clay

Just found a  box of Henry Clay Cigars in our garage , They were produced on 25 Feb 1965 (stamped) also stamped below is Made In Havana Cuba and the words C.ClARO. They are sealed and with the grease proof paper wrapping. This is a brown box with Gold and black print arround the edges, What looks like a geen note and a picture of a big palace.
Also it is a box of 25 Diamantinos
Would any one have any idea what they would be worth if I was to sell them and would any one be interested?

Comments

• GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Photos Photos Photos. Sounds pretty cool as a collectors thing.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    You didn't say much about how the cigars were stored, so I can only assume they were stored outside a humidor, so I would have to say they wouldn't be worth much, if anything.

"Long ashes my friends."

• undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Being outside a humi for that long, I'm not sure they'd be worth even fertilizer at this point.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Show us a pic!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    If they are still sealed than I'd say if you found the right person they would be valuable... But who knows!
  • kos22uskos22us Posts: 47
    yea i dont think you would want to smoke them but you would be surprised as to what people collect so here's hopin for ya
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Photos would be sweet.
    might wanna contact the national cigar museum and see if he can help you, I'm sure he can tell you about your stogies...just do a search on google.

"Long ashes my friends."

• MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    One issue nobody has mentioned yet is the fact that being made in 1965 in Cuba after the embargo makes them contraband, illegal and subject to seizure by US Customs, and you a candidate for prosecution, so I wouldn't shout to loud that I have them if I were you!!

I doubt that they are worth anything unless you can attach some historical significance to them, like Churchill or Castro smoked em!

By all means contact the cigar museum, discreetly; but also, I'd throw them in a humi set at a low humidity if you have one and try to gradually bring them up to 70%RH.

Judging by your post count you might not know how to achieve the above, so once you have determined they have no real worth please do put them up for offer here, I myself would probably be interested in the novelty value of them, might even want to try smoking one.

• MrMoke:
    One issue nobody has mentioned yet is the fact that being made in 1965 in Cuba after the embargo makes them contraband, illegal and subject to seizure by US Customs, and you a candidate for prosecution, so I wouldn't shout to loud that I have them if I were you!!
    Treasury isnt coming after someone with a box of 40 year old unsmokable ISOMs. I know its often good practice not to toot the horn about this sort of thing, but i think its safe here.

Bummer that they werent hidden away in the back of a maintained humidor or something...probably would be worth a few grand. But hey, maybe a collector might like the box, though i wouldnt expect much compensation for it.
  • Thanks for the input, firstly I think I have to say that I am from England and my Step Father used to travel and work in Cuba back in the 60's. I will organise a few pictures for you to see the box also they were actually kept in a large metal cabinet that housed his wines and spirits including Nepolian Brandy's from 0ver 100 years old and Whiskies of a similar ilk.
    There was a thermometer in the cabinet but no electrical stuff to make it a humidifier of sorts. The garage is located below  but apart of the house and was always heated at the same temp as the house. He was a chemist by trade so I am sure he looked after them. No one was ever aloud into his cabinet until now.
    LuckyMe:
    Thanks for the input, firstly I think I have to say that I am from England and my Step Father used to travel and work in Cuba back in the 60's. I will organise a few pictures for you to see the box also they were actually kept in a large metal cabinet that housed his wines and spirits including Nepolian Brandy's from 0ver 100 years old and Whiskies of a similar ilk.
    There was a thermometer in the cabinet but no electrical stuff to make it a humidifier of sorts. The garage is located below  but apart of the house and was always heated at the same temp as the house. He was a chemist by trade so I am sure he looked after them. No one was ever aloud into his cabinet until now.
    Your father sounded like a very interesting man!

"Long ashes my friends."

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    This is getting more interesting.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    This sounds like an awesome Mystery!

I can't wait till I die and someone unearth's my secret chest that no one was allowed into.... Don't think there will be 100 year old spirits, but probably some warrants, few bottles of Miller Lite, a birth certificate explaining I'm the Lindbergh Baby (don't ask how) and possibly some cubans
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    For the love of Beard, PLEASE POST PHOTOS!!!!
  • I hope these images are clear enough
  • Just a note I found the Cigar Museum or one of them, and its "Up for sale" Lock stock and two smokin barrels...... Hymans National Cigar Museum.
  • That is an awesome find. Just to have it unopened in a collection would be satisfying enough for me.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Great, find!
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    You might also want to get in touch with Altadis USA, who I believe own the "Henry Clay" brand.