Home Cigar 101

Cutting problems

Hi guys, just a quick question from your infinite resources of knowledge. I'm a total cigar noob and have been having some cutting problems. Not everytime but I'm starting to think I'm maybe doing something wrong. Sometimes when I'm cutting my cigars they are bursting as in the wrapper or what's left of the cap is splitting leading to some unravelling problems :(. I've been careful not to cut too much off the cap but am still getting the problem. I bought a new colibri cutter but no difference so I'm thinking the problem is me. I don't wanna be bursting anymore cigars. It never seems to happen with the torpedos but have lost 4 or 5 others sizes so far. Any ideas?? :S

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    If you're really having problems, try putting the cutter flat on a table, put the cigar through thr hole, then cut. Works every time. This should cut just enough so that it doesn't unravel your cigar. That's the tricky thing with parejo shaped cigars. I prefer torpedos because they're easier to cut, have better draw, and it's a bit smoother in my opinion.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be the cutter. I've had two different Colibri cutters and both tend to mash the cigars rather than cut them.

Get yourself a good guillitine cutter or treat yourself to a Xikar. They are extremely sharp and you can cut just a little off the cigar and you shouldn't have the unravelling problem.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    YankeeMan:
    It may be the cutter. I've had two different Colibri cutters and both tend to mash the cigars rather than cut them.

Get yourself a good guillitine cutter or treat yourself to a Xikar. They are extremely sharp and you can cut just a little off the cigar and you shouldn't have the unravelling problem.
    I agree with Yankee 100%. Either of my Xikar cutters have always worked great, with no ruined cigars, ever.

• Thanks guys for the help. Mashing would be a good description. It does seem to struggle cutting. It seems to kinda squish the cigar a bit before cutting instead of slicing through iykwim. I'll give the table thing a go an maybe order a new cutter while I'm at it. Any suggestions what to get? Any xikar? I just got the Colibri cos it was the Man O' War one I have no idea what ones are good and what ones aren't :P
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Roughscotsman:
    Thanks guys for the help. Mashing would be a good description. It does seem to struggle cutting. It seems to kinda squish the cigar a bit before cutting instead of slicing through iykwim. I'll give the table thing a go an maybe order a new cutter while I'm at it. Any suggestions what to get? Any xikar? I just got the Colibri cos it was the Man O' War one I have no idea what ones are good and what ones aren't :P
    Xikar Xi.. Pay once. Guaranteed.
  • Will give one a go. Always an excuse, seen as I'm paying the shipping might aswell get some cigars too he he :) Thanks again guys :D
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Here's a trick you can try - when you cut your next few cigars, leave the cellophane wrapper on and cut right thru it. This has the effect of sharpening the blades of your cutter & may make the difference for you, as cutting with dull blades can cause the "mashing" effect you mentioned.

Weclome to the forums, and I hope this helps!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Also I always lick the cap first... Not slobber, but make the whole cap moist (hehe) and that helps the cut and keeping everything together
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    The Sniper:
    Here's a trick you can try - when you cut your next few cigars, leave the cellophane wrapper on and cut right thru it. This has the effect of sharpening the blades of your cutter & may make the difference for you, as cutting with dull blades can cause the "mashing" effect you mentioned.

really? never heard this before? I guess I could give it a go. I agree with a better/sharper cutter, moist up the cap, and also with those butterfly style cutters, close the cutter gently right on the cap so its right where you want it, then cut. don't eyeball it and hack cause you'll miss 8 times out of 10.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Could also be a RH problem if your sticks our to dry they will crack pretty easy
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Definitely probably the cutter itself being dull. I have the same Colibri you mentioned, and while it was great at first, after a few months of use I just had to get a Palio...
    docbp87:
    Definitely probably the cutter itself being dull. I have the same Colibri you mentioned, and while it was great at first, after a few months of use I just had to get a Palio...
    +1
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ironhorse:
    The Sniper:

really? never heard this before? I guess I could give it a go. I agree with a better/sharper cutter, moist up the cap, and also with those butterfly style cutters, close the cutter gently right on the cap so its right where you want it, then cut. don't eyeball it and hack cause you'll miss 8 times out of 10.
    im not sure how adding an extra layer of crap to cut through would sharpen the blades.... though i have yeard this theory before.

kuzi16:
    ironhorse:
    The Sniper:

im not sure how adding an extra layer of crap to cut through would sharpen the blades.... though i have yeard this theory before.

I don't think it sharpens it, but maybe wears less on the blade, I used to do this and it works... My guess is the plastic has more elasticity and protects the cigar from cracking, also I'd assume the plastic resists the blade more so when you are squeezing the plastics resists and then finally "Gives" potentially snapping the blade faster through the cap, thus dummy proofing the "one quick motion" all while protecting your smoke
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    --somehow I double posted :-/
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I always like the lick the cap of the cigar before cutting; gets rid of a lot of the flaking that you sometimes get. Also, Xikar is a great cutter to use; lifetime warranty is outstanding. You may also wanna consider a Perfect cutter - it has a backing plate so it's impossible to cut off too much of the cap - idiot-proof, for people like me ;)
  • As mentioned already, I like to moisten it first, then place my stick on a flat surface, use my Xikar cutter and enjoy. 60% of the time it works all the time. No really, it works.
    Not hip to all the wacky physics behind this. All I know is that when I notice my cutter dulling up a bit, I cut my next 3-4 sticks thru the cello and after that the cutter does a much better job for a good while after even without the cello.
    The Sniper:
    Not hip to all the wacky physics behind this. All I know is that when I notice my cutter dulling up a bit, I cut my next 3-4 sticks thru the cello and after that the cutter does a much better job for a good while after even without the cello.
    Really?????
    I still find this hard to believe
    Lasabar:
    The Sniper:
    Really?????
    I still find this hard to believe
    Honest to goshness Lassie. Cannot remember for the life of me where I read about this tip, and I thought it was BS also when I read it. But when my cutter started mashing and pinching instead of cutting, I gave it a try and was amazed by the results.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    +1 here with the Colibri cutters. I have two of them, initially the cut was fine but after about a month it seemed to be getting dull and "squishing" the cigar before getting to the cut. Even if you lay the cutter flat and put the cigar in to try to get that perfect cut it still draws or squishes before it cuts. I have never had this problem with any other cutter even the el cheapos.... I really like the Xikar cutters when they are sharp...I am waiting for a gift of a Palio cutter to give it a try.
  • Well thanks for the advice guys, got my Xikar today and my first cut was perfect. Far superiour to the Colibri. Thanks again :D
    Roughscotsman:
    Well thanks for the advice guys, got my Xikar today and my first cut was perfect. Far superiour to the Colibri. Thanks again :D
    That is good to hear! Now SMOKE UP!