Home General Discussion

Humidor suggestions

I'm a little new to the cigar world, and I beleive it's finally time for me to invest in a humidor. I'm browsing online and in local shops and am seeing signifigant price differences for humidors that seem to be similar size/quality (to my untrained eye at least). I'm a bit of a bass guitar affictionado, so I'm familar with what good wood construction is, and I'm also familiar with concepts such as "buying the brand name" and that price differences on similar items aren't necessarily quality related. Unfortunately I don't know if that model is the case for the humidor industry, nor do I know what brands are the big names that may be marked up uneccessarily if it is. Anyway, I'm looking for a good bang-for-your buck type of deal on a Humidor in the 30-50 count range. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know - thanks!

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'll give you one suggestion right now that just about everyone here can agree with. If you are looking at the 30-50 count range for humidors now, then do yourself a favor and buy a 150+ count box. The reason being that it is always easier to fill empty space than to try and make more room.
  • CrimthannCrimthann Posts: 37
    First off welcome to the forums.

I purchased this one Lexington from Tampa Humidor & I'm very very happy with it.

I absolutely agree that you should buy larger, but if you're set on something smaller how about

50 count I'd replace the hydrometer and use humidity beads instead though.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I'll give you one suggestion right now that just about everyone here can agree with. If you are looking at the 30-50 count range for humidors now, then do yourself a favor and buy a 150+ count box. The reason being that it is always easier to fill empty space than to try and make more room.
    thats true. cigar.com humidors wont lead you astray.

btw PM sent
  • btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    Go Big.
  • Quick Clarification: sorry I should have said this in the first post. I don't forsee myself having more than 20-25 at any given time. That may change in the future, but that'll be long enough into the future where I can justify getting bigger and better. I've lurked around this site and already saw the universal advice of "whatever you want, double it" and took that into account when I said I'm looking for 30-50 count. Thanks for the advice so far guys!
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Well Damnit.... I've been there, my friends have been there, and everyone on this forum has been there. I appreciate and respect what your saying but IMHO, if your going to take the time and $$$$ to invest in a humi, do it, just do it. My advise, don't start with anything less than a 150 count.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    No matter what you think, go with bigger. I originally thought that a 25-30 would be plenty big for whatever I needed. Well, the cheapest humidor I could find at the time happened to be a 50-70 so that's what I got. Well, now its only one month later and it is already close to full and I'm looking at buying another when I get home from the desert. Probably a 300 stick humi.

Trust me go bigger.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ya know what? dont take our word for it. find out for yourself. youll kick yourself later but at least you have a desk top.
  • LarryDLarryD Posts: 59
    Some of life's lessons...we just have to learn for ourself! So much for the value of experience!
  • 6clicks6clicks Posts: 34
    I just ordered a 300 stick job. My original (small) one will now be for my desktop and what I plan on smoking in the near future. It's ok to have two.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    6clicks:
    I just ordered a 300 stick job. My original (small) one will now be for my desktop and what I plan on smoking in the near future. It's ok to have two.
    It is definitely OK to have two... or more :). Personally, I started with a 20 count that came with a sampler and less than 2 months later I was purchasing a significantly larger humidor to accommodate my lack of self control... The funny thing is that I seem to be more into buying cigars than anything else, as I don't smoke nearly as many as I buy.... I need to fix that one :) .

Joe
  • 6clicks6clicks Posts: 34

I agree with you Kuzi, but it's not bad to have an extra. I just ordered a 300 stick humi which I'll use for storage and ageing while the small one fits nicely on my desktop and contains most of the smokes that I'll use regularly. At least I'll be using both. One big one would have done the trick though. Live and learn.

George

• ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Joe I don't think I would necessarily call it a lack of self control.......Aaah heck, who am I trying to kid. It's like being a kid in a candy store. I think that each of us go through the same phase (some more than others...like me). Enjoy the ride.