Home Ratings & Reviews

Verdadero Organic?

Comments

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    5 Vegas Classic isn't an Ecuadorian Sumatra, is it? Nor is the Sol Cubano Sumatra or the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet... I don't even think the Cuban Cabinet is a proper Indonesian Sumatra wrapper. I'm differentiating between a proper Sumatra wrapper, and a Sumatra-seed wrapper grown in Ecuador. I have noticed a huge difference in tastes between the two.

Off the top of my head, the following fall into that category:
    ccom Cuban Label
    Playboy by Altadis (when y'all gonna carry this?)
    Punch
    Punch Rare Corojo
    La Herencia Cubana
    RP Vintage 1992
    RP Sun-Grown
    RP Decade
    Ashton VSG
    5 Vegas Limitada 2006
    La Flor Dominicana Ligero and Double Ligero
    Oliva Special S

hmmm.. I know there are several others.. I'd have to consult the spreadsheet :)

EDIT: What I really want is a way to search cigars by wrapper. And by wrapper, I mean the ability to specify the origin of the seed (Sumatra), and the origin of the plant (Ecuador). Then, I want to be able to mix/match a dozen singles and get a 20% discount :)
  • LCarLCar Posts: 57
    timb:

...Good idea though, I bet the Verdadero blend would taste awesome with a Ecuadorian/Sumatra wrapper!

That does sound like a good idea Tim...I like the raisiny flavor to begin with, and I also think an EcSu wrapper would compliment the stick nicely.

• timbtimb Posts: 353 ✭✭✭

Yes, all 3 of those are ecuadorian sumatra.  Sumatra from Indonesia is not the best tasting tobacco in many people's opinion, but it is very cheap and consistent.  It burns well, so larger manufacturers like to use it on their big sellers (Romeo y Julieta for example).  Most Sumatra that you find on 'boutique' cigars is grown in Ecuador 

I do have Playboy cigars, we just don't have the volume to warrant a webspot for it.  If you want a couple, shoot me an email. 

20% off ?  You don't pull any punches, do you?  (not a rare corojo reference!)

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I was just giving you a hard time with the 20% :) That's interesting about most "Sumatra" wrappers being grown in Ecuador. I had no idea.

I'd like to modify my request, then, to be for better information on ccom about the wrapper. For example, the ccom write-up for the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet says that it is a "Habano-seed wrapper grown under the mist of Ecuador." The product information, on which the wrapper type is always listed, shows a wrapper type of "Habano." This sounds to me like a Cuban seed wrapper grown in Ecuador.

Also, the ccom write-up for the Sol Cubano Sumatra says "Sumatra has a long history of growing premium tobacco. The landscape and natural climate and soils make it an ideal location for growing wrapper." This would imply to me that the wrapper is actually grown in Indonesia. If both of these wrappers are true Ecuadorian Sumatra, I would never have guessed, either by smoking them (I've had both) or by reading the descriptions.

I've noticed other write-ups specifically mention the Ecuadorian-grown Sumatra wrapper. Consistently, those which have called attention to this growing location have been superior smokes (IMO) than those which simply state having a "Sumatra wrapper." It may just be a coincidence. It's just something I learned after I went back to my ratings/reviws with the knowledge that some Sumatra wrappers were grown in Ecuador.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Leave it up to Tim to bust in and offer up this cigar for 40% of the list price... crafty guy tempting us poor fools with no self control. :)
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well I wasn't that excited about this cigar but now after reading this I am going to have to give it a shot for sure. This also made me realize one reason I like the RP 92, RP Sungrown and La Flor Dominica Double Ligero so much. I'm betting the wrapper has a lot to do with it. Those are three of my all-time favorite smokes.
    Yeah Puro, the Ecuadorian Sumatra is becoming my favorite wrapper, right alongside the cameroon. If it weren't for Duty and his super-analysis, I probably never would have realized how many cigars I like utilize the EcSu wrapper. Kudos to Duty for being a wrapper nerd :)
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    I'd like to modify my request, then, to be for better information on ccom about the wrapper. For example, the ccom write-up for the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet says that it is a "Habano-seed wrapper grown under the mist of Ecuador." The product information, on which the wrapper type is always listed, shows a wrapper type of "Habano." This sounds to me like a Cuban seed wrapper grown in Ecuador.

Also, the ccom write-up for the Sol Cubano Sumatra says "Sumatra has a long history of growing premium tobacco. The landscape and natural climate and soils make it an ideal location for growing wrapper." This would imply to me that the wrapper is actually grown in Indonesia. If both of these wrappers are true Ecuadorian Sumatra, I would never have guessed, either by smoking them (I've had both) or by reading the descriptions.

I've noticed other write-ups specifically mention the Ecuadorian-grown Sumatra wrapper. Consistently, those which have called attention to this growing location have been superior smokes (IMO) than those which simply state having a "Sumatra wrapper." It may just be a coincidence. It's just something I learned after I went back to my ratings/reviws with the knowledge that some Sumatra wrappers were grown in Ecuador.
    This is an issue I run into quite often as well, Tim. Duty and I both keep records of what we smoke and the blend that made up that smoke(to the best of our knowledge) and the Sumatra is both our favorite. He is particular to the Ec Su wrapper while the Sol Cubano Sumatra is my favorite everyday hands down. I was under the impression that it was not Ecudorian based on yours and other websites. I've also discoved a few cigars with Mexican SUmatra, the most noteable of which is the Cusano C10 which utilizes it as a binder. Anyways I'm with duty here, if you could talk Alex into making sure descriptions are more specific people like duty and I would be VERY appreciative.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    agreed. when i do my catalog i like to know wrapper filler and binder. cigar.com is the first place that i go to find this out.

im not asking to redo the entire site, but the more info i can have on this the better.
  • timbtimb Posts: 353 ✭✭✭

you know, now you guys have me questioning myself.  Thanks a lot! Wink [;)]

I will ask Alex specifically about Sol Cubano CC and Sum, but from what I remember about those blends, they were both Sumatra from Ecuador - but I have been wrong in the past.  So, so wrong...

Have a good day guys.  Go Phillies!

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Go Phillies
    Yes so so wrong!
    Think Red sox
    But you have to root for the cubs every time theyre in it
    Thanks for the hookup Tim!!!
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Crap, how did I miss this thread for so long? Let me start by setting the record strait, 5 Vegas Classic, Sol Cubano Sumatra are both Indonesia sumatra. Cuban Cabinet is Habano Ecuador. Another great new Sumatra Ecuador is the La Herencia Cubana which is made by one of my favorite factories, Fernandez. On to the Organic. I will be the first to admit that when this guy told me he was growing organic tobacco, I kind of rolled my eyes. Here is a farm in one of the most prime soils I have ever seen at the base of Mambacho right of Lake Nicaragua and he decides to grow organic which yields plants with small leaves. He told me the tobacco had a special flavor and I dismissed it. But then I smoked it. Let me tell you that i am the first person to not pick up on certain flavors like chocolate or anise when other people do, but this sucker is all raison, no doubt. After lighting it up, I am a true believer. I did not buy it because it was organic, but rather because it was absolutely one of the most unique tobaccos I have ever smoked and it just so happened to be organic. I have my hands in tobacco all day. In fact, I am in nicaragua now looking at pilones of Jalapa Corojo. I can tell you guys that this is something different if you want to try a cigar that has a legit different taste. Yes it is mild and that is by design. I went with a very smooth and creamy wrapper so the wrapper and binder did not overshadow the filler. I wanted the filler to be in the spotlight for this blend. As far as it tasting like a maduro like the one review said, that is spot on. The tobacco is triple fermented and is actually maduro since it goes through all the same processes as a maduro wrapper. The only difference is that because of the organic style, the tobacco is of a filler quality only. Props to that review by the way, it was spot on. Anyway, great thread guys and keep the feedback coming!!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    thats very strange that the filler is the featured leaf. I guess when you look at something inside out you have a very different result... good thing its a good one. I may have to check these out.
    ...i mean last time you reccemended a cigar i ended up with a box of the Camacho Havanna Petit. I only have one left. im only holding on to it because i hate to see it go.
  • I've been really curious on this cigar. And now with that deal Tim put out, man I just may have to bite on that.
    Thanks for the insight Alex. Tim already swayed me with his 5 for $15 offer, but it's really cool to get some more in-depth information on the particular cigar from the guy who probably knows the most about it. I'll be going into this with an open mind as I usually do with anything new, but I don't feel I'm going to be disappointed in this one. You Ccom guys are the best.
  • LCarLCar Posts: 57

Alex Svenson:
    ... ... As far as it tasting like a maduro like the one review said, that is spot on. The tobacco is triple fermented and is actually maduro since it goes through all the same processes as a maduro wrapper. The only difference is that because of the organic style, the tobacco is of a filler quality only. Props to that review by the way, it was spot on. Anyway, great thread guys and keep the feedback coming!!!

Thank you Alex, for the review confidence...I haven't been smoking cigars all that long, and I was hoping that I wasn't putting useless information out there.

All it does is rain here in NEPA...I want to smoke the other verdadero in good weather so I can enjoy it, as when I had the first one, it was windy and rainy. I do like the raisin flavor very much, and will certainly order a few more of those sticks.

• sanesane Posts: 151
    Thanks for the info Alex, as j0z3r stated "Tim already swayed me with his 5 for $15 offer". I hope to try one when they make it to me but the rainy season just started here and I have no place to smoke them, other then outside.
  • sanesane Posts: 151
    So I got around to trying one of these last night and I was disappointed. I don't know if it was burning to hot or what but it was bitter almost all the way through. I'm going to try one in a few months when they have aged a bit.
  • StickStick Posts: 1
    I was dying to try this stick since I read about it in one of the Cigar.Com newsletters.  So when it showed up I quickly bought a couple of singles.  They were right about the flavor.  Some raisin, sweet, and smooth.  The burn was good, as was the draw and the construction was nice. My only complaint is that this is definitely a mild cigar.  The info on the website says its mild so there was no misleading.  I was just hoping it might have a little more kick.  If you like mild cigars you will love this stick and if you want to introduce someone to the hobby of cigars this would be a good start.  Happy Smoking
  • Verdadero Organic is an organic cigar because there are no pesticides used in growing the tobacco, all processes involved getting the tobacco are pesticide free so there are no chemicals used to help the tobacco plant grow really well. The cigar itself is fabulous, it is very mild and smells like raisins and tastes very woody and raisiny the whole time. Definately worth trying.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Man there are a lot of first time posters on this thread. Organic cigars .. hmm.
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    I was looking for these at my stogie shop but didn't carry them. I found and ordered the 6 stick sampler here for a good price. I hope these are tasty. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I had one of these a couple weeks ago. Although I don't purchase many mild sticks, I plan to have some of these on hand at all times. It was a great change of pace cigar with great flavor. As someone stated earlier, it doesn't evolve much, but I'd rather have one great taste than a few good tastes.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    Had one of these for the first time last night I'm a mild to medium smoker at this point and I found it to be very enjoyable, good burn, good draw, solid stick.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Had my first one of these on Friday night thanks to GDSIM1! I found the taste of this stick to be great. It had a raisin like taste to it after I got about an inch into it. Great construction and burn. It had a slight burn issue at the start, user error lol, and it self correctd and was a beauty of a smoke. I'm gonna have to invest in some more of these.
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    sane:
    So I got around to trying one of these last night and I was disappointed. I don't know if it was burning to hot or what but it was bitter almost all the way through. I'm going to try one in a few months when they have aged a bit.
    I'm glad you're giving this cigar a second chance! I smoked one last night and it was excellent.

I don't know if y'all have noticed the irony of an "organic cigar" but I think it's hilarious! It's made of the finest, most nutritious stuff in the world and, when you sit down to enjoy it, you start by lighting it on fire!! Hahahaha!!!

Ok, that cracks me up but, the cigar really is good. It's mild as some have mentioned but I didn't think it was quite as mild as it has been described. It was a perfect performer with no acidity and the smoke never got too hot. ...until it was threatening to burn my tongue when I wouldn't let it go at the end!

Raisin is definitely the predominant flavor along with white pepper. I thought it was a little creamy and had some spice to it as well. The descriptors don't sound as balanced as the cigar is though. They sure put it together well. I'll be getting more...

JDE

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've still got one left from a fiver I picked up some time ago. I thought the first few were good but not great. Had a kinda fresh-mowed-lawn smell/taste to them. Guess I'll have to revisit the blend with my last one, now that it's got some humi-time on it.
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    jlmarta:
    I've still got one left from a fiver I picked up some time ago. I thought the first few were good but not great. Had a kinda fresh-mowed-lawn smell/taste to them. Guess I'll have to revisit the blend with my last one, now that it's got some humi-time on it.
    ...and then you'll post about it, right?? I'm curious how this one will age. Usually I can make a guess at how something will evolve with time but I've got no clue with the Verdaderos.

JDE

• Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    The last Verdadero I had, I almost posted about it in the cigars that taste like goat ass thread. Not a fan.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JonathanE:
    jlmarta:
    ...and then you'll post about it, right?? I'm curious how this one will age. Usually I can make a guess at how something will evolve with time but I've got no clue with the Verdaderos.

JDE

Just now finishing up my last one. gotta say it ages very well. It's better than I remember the first four being. Good flavor, lotsa smoke, easy draw, even burn. Can't ask for more.

I'd have to call it a medium-bodied smoke. Maybe mild to medium, but quite good. I'll get some more, later.