Home General Discussion

cigar of the month humidor?

2»

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Capt:
    Kaspera, may I ask what Cuban cigar cost you 40.00? Thats alot of money!
    On a Fishing trip to Canada in 2002 I spend 39.50 ( before tax) for a La Gloria Cubana Taino. Churchill We all thought the more we spend the better the cigar. This was so untrue. Sure the cigar had good flavor, looked great, but I expected it to be some near heavenly experience, which it was not.
  • CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Sending PM
    Capt:
    Sending PM
    Got it .. Thanks Cap
    Not humidor related , Just Cigar of the Month. Did anyone else get this months package yet. The reason I ask is because I've read several threads about a certain cigar in this package over the last two days that didn't get rave reviews from the people posting. Any opinions..Mine arrived ( nicely packaged) by the way, on Saturday. An interesting assortment. Theme,,,, Dominican.
    What was the cigar in question?
    Capt:
    Bolivar Churchill
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Hey, read nothing into my bad-mouthing that stick. I'm eager to see how y'all's (I gotta get out of the south) experiences differ from mine. My advice is to keep that baby in the humidor for a long time.. but take it out every now and again to give it a good sniff.. the scent is yummy. Another idea would be to chop it up and eat it for dessert.. the taste of the unlit tobacco is wonderful ;)
    dutyje:
    Hey, read nothing into my bad-mouthing that stick. I'm eager to see how y'all's (I gotta get out of the south) experiences differ from mine. My advice is to keep that baby in the humidor for a long time.. but take it out every now and again to give it a good sniff.. the scent is yummy. Another idea would be to chop it up and eat it for dessert.. the taste of the unlit tobacco is wonderful ;)
    I read nothing bad into any review. That's exactly what I intend to do ( age that stick) for a year. Come back next fall and say Joe was wrong, this cigar is the bomb!
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    The bad news is I have to wait a year... the good news is I hear I'm wrong just about every day, so at least I won't be short in that regard ;)
    kaspera79:
    Capt:
    Bolivar Churchill
    I need to quit hanging out in here. You guys make me want to open all of my aging boxes. I have 2 boxes of the Toro's and 2 boxes of the Robusto's, unopened, I purchased in 12/05. With two and a half years age on them, maybe its time to open the up! I'll smoke one tomorrow and see how they do.
  • Wow!!! 2 years worth of aging.....I can never get two months...especially if I really like it :)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bocards:
    Wow!!! 2 years worth of aging.....I can never get two months...especially if I really like it :)
    thats why you need an aging humidor. i have one and it was a good idea. out of sight, out of mind.

i have cigars in there that date back to 10-04. im only 27 otherwise id have older ones in there. most of my collection in the aging humi is 06 and later.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Just buy lots more cigars, they'll end up aging automatically if you have way more than you can smoke!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    bocards:
    Wow!!! 2 years worth of aging.....I can never get two months...especially if I really like it :)
    thats why you need an aging humidor. i have one and it was a good idea. out of sight, out of mind.

i have cigars in there that date back to 10-04. im only 27 otherwise id have older ones in there. most of my collection in the aging humi is 06 and later.

kUZI, do you take a stick from your aging humi and smoke it when you feel it is ready or do you move it to your smoking humi for a day or two rest prior to smoking it. I am just wondering about the RH when you smoke it as compared to when you age a stick. Thanks.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    Just buy lots more cigars, they'll end up aging automatically if you have way more than you can smoke!
    Truer words have never been spoken. By the time I get around to smoking some of my stash, they'll probably have 2+ years on them.
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    bocards:

kUZI, do you take a stick from your aging humi and smoke it when you feel it is ready or do you move it to your smoking humi for a day or two rest prior to smoking it. I am just wondering about the RH when you smoke it as compared to when you age a stick. Thanks.
    when i feel that the cigar is ready to be smoked i move it to the smoking humidor.
    what i mean by "smoking humidor" is the humidor that is full of cigars that i feel could be smoked at any moment without any more time required. I have cigars in the smoking humidor that have been there over a year. the time just wasnt right when i opened it up. the aging humidor only gets opened to check the RH, to rotate the cigars once every 3-4 months(this is when i move from aging humi to smoking humi) or to add cigars to it. I have only once smoked out of the aging humidor.

the RH is the same in both.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    bocards:

when i feel that the cigar is ready to be smoked i move it to the smoking humidor.
    what i mean by "smoking humidor" is the humidor that is full of cigars that i feel could be smoked at any moment without any more time required. I have cigars in the smoking humidor that have been there over a year. the time just wasnt right when i opened it up. the aging humidor only gets opened to check the RH, to rotate the cigars once every 3-4 months(this is when i move from aging humi to smoking humi) or to add cigars to it. I have only once smoked out of the aging humidor.

I've adopted this practie from kuzi. It works rather well for me. THe only difference between my version and his is I keep my aging cooler-dor around 70% and the smoking humi I try to keep closer to 67%
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    bocards:

I've adopted this practie from kuzi. It works rather well for me. THe only difference between my version and his is I keep my aging cooler-dor around 70% and the smoking humi I try to keep closer to 67%

OK thanks guys. One question here thou Maddy. I thought 65% was the mark folks try to hit when aging and 70% for resting. That is why I asked the question. I was also surprised to hear Kuzi say his two Humi's were the same RH. (65% ??)

I am trying to determine an RH for my sticks where I enjoy them the most. Recently someone here (Dias?) told about storing for smoking at around 75 -80 % ! I think I like mine a little on the high side of RH as well as the drier a stick is the more peppery I find it, at least for the first inch or so. I think this is why some cigars do have a peppery start, because the tobacco at the foot is the driest. My $.02 worth.
    75-80% is much too high. at those humidities mold will begin to be a problem. I find that the burn on a cigar at 65% is better than at 70% I age at 65% because i had those RH beads on hand. I have found no problems with that RH as far as aging goes. minus one or two cigars, those that came out of the aging humidor have smoked VERY well.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    As kuzi said 75-80% is way too high, you should not exceed 72%. I did notice at 72% that my cigars never seemed to burn quite even. 70% is the industry standard and is the RH that ALL manufacturers and professionals age at, that why my aging humi is at 70. I try to keep my smoking humi at 67% bc I like kuzi noticed that they burned more evenly at a little lower RH. However I try to stick within the industry standards(67-72) thats why I try to be at 67 but I don't really fret as long as they're between 65 and 70 in my smoking humi and 68-72 in my aging. Just my take on things, experiment for yourself find what you like best. Sounds like you're already doing this since you've found that your cigars seem to be a little spicier at lower RH's.
    madurofan:
    As kuzi said 75-80% is way too high, you should not exceed 72%. I did notice at 72% that my cigars never seemed to burn quite even. 70% is the industry standard and is the RH that ALL manufacturers and professionals age at, that why my aging humi is at 70. I try to keep my smoking humi at 67% bc I like kuzi noticed that they burned more evenly at a little lower RH. However I try to stick within the industry standards(67-72) thats why I try to be at 67 but I don't really fret as long as they're between 65 and 70 in my smoking humi and 68-72 in my aging. Just my take on things, experiment for yourself find what you like best. Sounds like you're already doing this since you've found that your cigars seem to be a little spicier at lower RH's.

On that note... has either you or Kuzi or anyone else heard of the DRI DAMP CIGAR MONITOR ? I saw it was given some bad reviews but also recieved a good review from Cigar Afficianado. Worth a look, or just a cigar gimmick?
    laker1963:
    has either you or Kuzi or anyone else heard of the DRI DAMP CIGAR MONITOR ? I saw it was given some bad reviews but also recieved a good review from Cigar Afficianado. Worth a look, or just a cigar gimmick?
    i know exactly what you are talking about.

its a device designed to tell you if your cigar is to dry or two wet. it costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $30ish (?)

In my opinion, and sight unseen, it is worthless. here is why: if you are willing to shell out $30+ dollars on a cigar accessory that is is not needed to enjoy a cigar, then you will know right away if the cigar you are about to smoke is too wet or too dry. Either it came out of YOUR HUMIDOR that you control the humidity in and have a hygrometer in, OR it came from a shot that you trust enough to buy from, OR it was gifted to you by someone that knows nothing about cigars. the first two will be just right. the last one will be just wrong. does it matter if its too wet or dry at that point? no... its still spending time in the humi before smoking.

CA gave it a good review you say? two words for you:
    Product Placement.
    do you really think those guys there ARENT taking money from them to give it a good review? if those guys can tell that at some point in a cigars life it was over humidified just by how it tastes then i doubt that they need to check a cigar with that thing before they smoke it.

....IMHO
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    has either you or Kuzi or anyone else heard of the DRI DAMP CIGAR MONITOR ? I saw it was given some bad reviews but also recieved a good review from Cigar Afficianado. Worth a look, or just a cigar gimmick?
    i know exactly what you are talking about.

its a device designed to tell you if your cigar is to dry or two wet. it costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $30ish (?)

In my opinion, and sight unseen, it is worthless. here is why: if you are willing to shell out $30+ dollars on a cigar accessory that is is not needed to enjoy a cigar, then you will know right away if the cigar you are about to smoke is too wet or too dry. Either it came out of YOUR HUMIDOR that you control the humidity in and have a hygrometer in, OR it came from a shot that you trust enough to buy from, OR it was gifted to you by someone that knows nothing about cigars. the first two will be just right. the last one will be just wrong. does it matter if its too wet or dry at that point? no... its still spending time in the humi before smoking.

CA gave it a good review you say? two words for you:
    Product Placement.
    do you really think those guys there ARENT taking money from them to give it a good review? if those guys can tell that at some point in a cigars life it was over humidified just by how it tastes then i doubt that they need to check a cigar with that thing before they smoke it.

....IMHO

LMAO. OK Thanks for that Kuzi. Can you elaborate a little I didn't quite get the gist ;)

I can't say I have not seen it in the CA magazine (the couple of times I've seen it) but I agree with you as far as ads, polls, or opinion surveys, you get what you pay for.
    laker1963:
    Can you elaborate a little I didn't quite get the gist ;)
    dont encourage me.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Cigar Aficionado people like the smell of their own farts... I do troll their forums about once a month, but never post and usually just shake my head at them...

Needless to say though... I do find a snippet of good info their every time I peruse, but that takes allot of digging