Home Cigar 101

What does it mean when the wrapper split open?

Bad construction. Humidity issue?

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    JY001:
    Bad construction. Humidity issue?
    Yes. Humidity most likely. Sometimes a vien or flaw in the wrapper, but mostly humidity. What RH is your Humi?
  • JY001JY001 Posts: 49
    RH is 69, temp is 73. I had a cigar from the same box a few days ago and all was well.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    How hot and/or humid was it outside?
    Russ55:
    How hot and/or humid was it outside?
    Yup, that is the next question...
  • JY001JY001 Posts: 49
    It's hot and humid, more so than when I had the other one. I'll see how the next one goes. Thanks!
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Puff really soft and slow at first, moreso than normal, and maybe leave the stick out for a bit before you smoke it. Not too long. 20 minutes or so. That's what I do when it's super hot outside, and it's seemed to help. I'm no expert though, your mileage may vary.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    JY001:
    It's hot and humid, more so than when I had the other one. I'll see how the next one goes. Thanks!
    Down here in Florida, that's my problem as well; my cigars are at 65%/73F in the humi, but when I step outside into 85% humidity and 85F heat, the wrapper sometimes cracks.
    xmacro:
    JY001:
    Down here in Florida, that's my problem as well; my cigars are at 65%/73F in the humi, but when I step outside into 85% humidity and 85F heat, the wrapper sometimes cracks.
    Have you found leaving the stick out in the environment for a half hour or so helps? I live on an island and the Humidity os always the issue. Leaving it out of the humi for a half hour before I light it seems to help. It seems the wrapper can absorb a little of the excess humidity without the RH of the filler getting too high. So it burns like it should, but the wrapper is a little more pliable, so it doesn't split, at least not as often.
  • kaipocruz1kaipocruz1 Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Question for the guys that live in areas with too much humidity...what products seem to work best to keep your rh below 70%? I live in hawaii and sometimes my small humidor will crank itself to 75 to 78%. I usually don't have this problem with my coolidor or my 300 count humi but I think the amount of space plays a factor in keeping those properly humidified.
    kaipocruz1:
    Question for the guys that live in areas with too much humidity...what products seem to work best to keep your rh below 70%? I live in hawaii and sometimes my small humidor will crank itself to 75 to 78%. I usually don't have this problem with my coolidor or my 300 count humi but I think the amount of space plays a factor in keeping those properly humidified.
    BEADS. I use two pounds in my coolerdor and it keeps pretty stable between 63 - 67%
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I am on the gulf coast, I keep my humi at 70 - 72%RH, temp will be whatever I have the thermostat at, won't get much lower than 78 degrees, my wife balks when i turn it down that it's too cold!

Never had aproblem with smoking other than bad condtruction, plugged sticks occassionally, no signs of beetles in 7 years of smoking.

Don't have any problems with sticks splitting when I step outside where it's gonna be hot and humid, but if it's too hot / humid, am not gonna be sitting out there smoking anyhow.

I did have one issue with a new stick splitting IN my humi, it was very 'bleached' looking for a maduro when I got it, after a few weeks in the humi I noticed it had split (might have done before then but I did'nt notice), it had obviously dried out at the point of purchase and when the filler expanded it split the wrapper

I called the vendor (mention no names but it was'nt ccom) and got a credit for it.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive got nothing else to add here. all of you have it covered.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    laker1963:
    xmacro:
    JY001:
    Have you found leaving the stick out in the environment for a half hour or so helps? I live on an island and the Humidity os always the issue. Leaving it out of the humi for a half hour before I light it seems to help. It seems the wrapper can absorb a little of the excess humidity without the RH of the filler getting too high. So it burns like it should, but the wrapper is a little more pliable, so it doesn't split, at least not as often.
    Never heard of doing that. I'll try it next time, Thanks!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    ive got nothing else to add here. all of you have it covered.
    Like Baloney on a Stripper's booty
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    I've found that if it's really humid out and the cigar splits, then leaving it out in the open for a half hour-hour does indeed help and prevent it from splitting, HOWEVER:

If the humidity is much more than 85% outside, you have to be careful doing that or it could split just from sitting out in the open air. If that's the case, I leave the cigar outside the humi for a good two hours before I want to smoke it, but I LEAVE IT IN THE CELLO. This helps me better control the humidity normalization.