Home Ratings & Reviews

Nica Libre

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
Ok, I don't know what happened last night when I lit up this cigar, but it tasted HORRIBLE. It was the most bitter tasting cigar I have ever had. I don't understand it, the Nica Libre I had before this one (about 6-8months earlier) tasted GREAT. So With over a year of age on this stick, I really thought I was going to get a nice treat to finish off my night last night. I had a very loose draw, but hardly getting any smoke at all. I guess it was plugged some where and just got bitter real fast. I had to put it down after just a couple of min. When I came inside my wife said "Wow....what the hell were u smoking...you stink worse than normal..." LOL. Anyways, I have learned not to waste time smoking bad tasting cigars, but my palette at that point was already screwed so I couldn't smoking anything else...very disappointing.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I feel the same way as you on this one. I remember having decent Nica Libres in the early spring, but the last 2 or 3 I have tried have been sub-par. And the last one I had went from awful to start, okay after the first 1/2 inch, pretty good to the half way point, terrible again till about 2 inches from the band and then okay again to the band. The cigar was all over the map. But I also had the same low smoke problem. weird
  • I bought a box of Nica Libre's because it was compared to as having a near identical wrapper to the Padron 1964. They even box press and put the label on it to make it look like a Padron. At $2 a stick I wasn't expecting much but was still disappointed. I had to re-light a few times as it was plugged, and the taste was oddly bitter (I guess like eating dirt). To top it off, my buddy got an entire stem in his cigar that he had to pull out.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    suneet21:
    I bought a box of Nica Libre's because it was compared to as having a near identical wrapper to the Padron 1964. They even box press and put the label on it to make it look like a Padron. At $2 a stick I wasn't expecting much but was still disappointed. I had to re-light a few times as it was plugged, and the taste was oddly bitter (I guess like eating dirt). To top it off, my buddy got an entire stem in his cigar that he had to pull out.

I agree, the few ive had were "meh" at best. All had pretty wierd burns. For a budget stick i'm sticking with 5 vegas and house blends.
  • Odd. I've never had a bad one, and the burns have almost always been flawless. My favored size is the Principe. One of my go to sticks!
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've had good ones, and bad ones. It's a budget stick. I try not to keep too many around, or expect too much. Sometimes I really enjoy them if I'm in the mood.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I had a box of them a year ago and enjoyed them with coffee. Never had any issues with burn or bad taste, but they did not last long enough to age.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have smoked them and thought they were Ok, but not one of my favorites and do not believe any of the hype comparing them to Padron, not even close.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    The only one i had gave me almost the exact same experience. I have one more that I will try here in about a year or so. Very disappointed.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Man I must be lucky. Everyone I've had was great.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    same here
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    Amos Umwhat:
    stephen_hannibal:
    same here
    me too
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    I don't doubt any of the comments but apparently I've been fortunate. Already on my 2nd box with no problems.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dustin1981:
    Amos Umwhat:
    stephen_hannibal:
    same here
    me too
    Same for me. In fact I had one earlier today. I bought a box of them and so far, I've enjoyed every one. The only thing I can say is that with hand made cigars, sometimes you get a bad one, even from a great brand.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Of the dozen or more I've had I've come across 1 dud. It was really bad, but I still love me some Nica Libre!
  • I'd rather pay Nica Libre than $4-7 for the Padron (2-7)000 series.
  • thehoff:
    I'd rather pay Nica Libre than $4-7 for the Padron (2-7)000 series.
    I like Nica Libre. It's a fine cigar for a good price. But Padron is my favorite, and I'd gladly pay a shade under $4 for a 3000 or Churchill.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Unthought_Known:
    thehoff:
    I'd rather pay Nica Libre than $4-7 for the Padron (2-7)000 series.
    I like Nica Libre. It's a fine cigar for a good price. But Padron is my favorite, and I'd gladly pay a shade under $4 for a 3000 or Churchill.
    same here, love their sticks

"Long ashes my friends."

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    Ok, I don't know what happened last night when I lit up this cigar, but it tasted HORRIBLE. It was the most bitter tasting cigar I have ever had. I don't understand it, the Nica Libre I had before this one (about 6-8months earlier) tasted GREAT
    these cigars do better at 70% rh. if you keep your humi at 65% then this may be the cause. i had the same issue. they taste good ROTT but get some time on em and they are not good. then i was running my humidor at 71% (accidentally) and i wanted to smoke that cigar just to see how the RH was treating the burn, and the cigar was good again.

if you already keep your box at 70% then i got nothin for ya. just a bum stick.
    kuzi16:
    Krieg:
    Ok, I don't know what happened last night when I lit up this cigar, but it tasted HORRIBLE. It was the most bitter tasting cigar I have ever had. I don't understand it, the Nica Libre I had before this one (about 6-8months earlier) tasted GREAT
    these cigars do better at 70% rh. if you keep your humi at 65% then this may be the cause. i had the same issue. they taste good ROTT but get some time on em and they are not good. then i was running my humidor at 71% (accidentally) and i wanted to smoke that cigar just to see how the RH was treating the burn, and the cigar was good again.

if you already keep your box at 70% then i got nothin for ya. just a bum stick.
    Interesting....I usually keep my cabinet around 65% (which where these were kept) and my desktop at 65%-68%...so maybe this was the reason....I couldn't get over how bad it was...I smoked one ROTT and then one a few months later, both were fine. Just dunno...

"Long ashes my friends."

• Just re-tried a Nica Libre, didn't like it the first time, but this this was MUCH better. I think I smoked the first one too fast and I was just starting out smoking cigars too. Need to get a few more of these for my humi. Glad I re-tried it.
  • MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    I have to admit I've been wondering why these seem to be popular. The one I had didn't have burn issues or taste bad, it just didn't really taste of anything. I have a couple more but I don't know if I'll ever smoke them--at least not when there are other options.
    that last nica libre was so terrible, it has really turned me off this brand completely. I have zero urge to smoke one of these.

"Long ashes my friends."

• You can ship em up to me. We have trouble getting cigars in Canada as you may have noticed.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I just smoked one yesterday, and I thought it was ok. I wouldn't say it was flat on flavor, but was not knock it over the wall good. I had about 1 year of humi time on it. I tasted slight coffee and slight cocoa and a hint of pepper/spice, but lots of earth.
    I guess it has a more rustic taste, not bad just not what I was expecting. That was my only one so I have nothing to compare it to later, I can say I won't go out of my way to try this one again.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Just ant get behind this one, has a wierd funk to it. And ive had a few, rott, aged, 70rh, 65rh. Not so much. Then again a cant stand padron either.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I didn't care for the first few I had. The key is to not expect too much. It's a budget cigar, so don't expect to be wow'd. I put a lot of rest on them, and pair them with a nice full bodied rum. Even then I don't keep a ton of them around since I generally prefer habano wrappers.
  • Russ55:
    I didn't care for the first few I had. The key is to not expect too much. It's a budget cigar, so don't expect to be wow'd. I put a lot of rest on them, and pair them with a nice full bodied rum. Even then I don't keep a ton of them around since I generally prefer habano wrappers.
    I liked'em at first, but wasn't really wow'd. Now that they have almost a year of age on them, the last few have definitely wow'd me....what a difference some age makes!
  • cacmancacman Posts: 22
    Meh... bought a box in the spring as the description sounded good along with the price. I've given almost half of them away and only have 2 left in the humi, which I can't wait to get rid of. Meh... not impressed, very flat on the palate. Meh... for the price there are other choices. All I can say is I tried them.
    cacman:
    Meh... bought a box in the spring as the description sounded good along with the price. I've given almost half of them away and only have 2 left in the humi, which I can't wait to get rid of. Meh... not impressed, very flat on the palate. Meh... for the price there are other choices. All I can say is I tried them.
    I don't know what happened to them, but I tell ya...Nica Libre's must have went down hill fast for some reason or another...but lilke I said, the last one I had tasted like they went out and grabbed a bunch of grass clippings and just threw a wrapper around it. It was god awful.

"Long ashes my friends."

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ...I'll be sorry if it's true. I picked up about 20 of these during the many daily deals over the past few months and enjoyed all of them. Shared many with my occasional cigar smoking neighbors and Nica Libre opened the door to them becoming frequent cigar smokers.