Home Ratings & Reviews

Avo Heritage

j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
Avo Heritage Short Robusto
Dimensions: 4x56
Wrapper: Ecuador Sun Grown. Same wrapper used on Avo LE 2009 Compa

Comments

• Great review! I'm a self admitted AVO fan boy and saw these in the B&M but passed on them, I may have to pick some up.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Nice Review!

I've never had ANY AVO's and I have two Domaine 30's that I bought in the Dominican Republic that I am letting rest for some special occasions
  • Lasabar:
    Nice Review!

I've never had ANY AVO's and I have two Domaine 30's that I bought in the Dominican Republic that I am letting rest for some special occasions
    Avo Classic is a great smoke! Do yourself a favor and pick one up.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Very nice review Joe. I can't wait to try it. This was the cigar that I was referring to earlier in regards to the LE10, but the profile isn't necessarily similar. I guess I read into that. Wishful thinking and all.

Here's the excerpt from an interview at UBIcigar:

Ubi Cigar:
    Edward Simon: .... We will actually launch a new line at the IPCPR this year: The AVO Heritage line. This line does take up some of the characteristics of the LE10 yes, but the tobaccos used in the LE10 were way too limited to make it a full line.

The full interview:

http://ubicigar.com/page/4/

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Very interesting Russ. I did notice some similarities between the two, but the Heritage and LE10 are completely different cigars for sure. Can't wait to see how the other vitolas are, I've read that the short robusto is the most mellow of the line, so I'm excited.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Wow, jozer your doing reviews now? Well a first for me, great job. AVO for me has been a miss except for the maddy which I have 3 left.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Wow, jozer your doing reviews now? Well a first for me, great job. AVO for me has been a miss except for the maddy which I have 3 left.
    I do them every so often if something catches my interest.
    Kinda lost my steam on reviewing the entire line. So far I've had the robusto and churchill in addition to the short robusto I reviewed. The robusto had a more pronounced flavor profile and more depth of flavor compared to the short robusto, didn't seem very well balanced to me and got bitter towards the end of the second third, 8/10. The churchill was fabulous, excellent flavor from first light, great draw and much better complexity and balance than the previous two and it was great to the nub, also this one really showcased the strength touted in the description but lacking in the previous sizes. So far the churchill is the shining star and gets a solid 9+/10, unless the toro proves to be superior, this one is box worthy for sure.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    j0z3r:
    Kinda lost my steam on reviewing the entire line. So far I've had the robusto and churchill in addition to the short robusto I reviewed. The robusto had a more pronounced flavor profile and more depth of flavor compared to the short robusto, didn't seem very well balanced to me and got bitter towards the end of the second third, 8/10. The churchill was fabulous, excellent flavor from first light, great draw and much better complexity and balance than the previous two and it was great to the nub, also this one really showcased the strength touted in the description but lacking in the previous sizes. So far the churchill is the shining star and gets a solid 9+/10, unless the toro proves to be superior, this one is box worthy for sure.
    I've been waiting on the Toro review Joe. I always seem to like that Vitola best in most sticks. Hope it turns out to be as good as the Churchill was for you.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Heard so much good stuff about this cigar, and know guys who are literally smoking them every day almost. Definitely looking forward to trying one.
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    I've been waiting on the Toro review Joe. I always seem to like that Vitola best in most sticks. Hope it turns out to be as good as the Churchill was for you.
    I'll try to do the toro, might just be a brief bit, but I'll get something up for the toro.
    I've got a 5 pack of the Toros on the way. Can't wait to hear what you thought of that size. How long did you let yours rest before trying them out?
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Nice review. Just had one of these over the weekend and I enjoyed it. I'm not a fan of Davidoff, so it took the shop owner convincing me that this one is nothing like most Davidoff blends before I'd bite. I agreed that it was very different from any other Avo or Davidoff I'd smoked before. Would I buy it again? Maybe. Would I smoke another if someone handed me one? Sure.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I had the same feelings about this size as well Joe. It was a pretty good smoke, but the size made it a bit hot on the hands, which I don't normally get with a Nub or something similar. I really enjoyed t though and at the price I can get them for I'll be sampling the other sizes offered hopefully in the near future.
    Russ55:
    I've got a 5 pack of the Toros on the way. Can't wait to hear what you thought of that size. How long did you let yours rest before trying them out?
    The toro was good Russ, though my favorite was the churchill. I didn't rest them at all, they came in good shape, not hot or overly humid and they smoked well and tasted just fine.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:
    The toro was good Russ, though my favorite was the churchill. I didn't rest them at all, they came in good shape, not hot or overly humid and they smoked well and tasted just fine.
    they were only released in late september if im not mistaken. no time to rest.
    if my experience with avo and other davidoff products holds up then they will be good ROTT and will also age fairly well, especially if they are a fuller bodied cigar. The Avo Domaine ages well IMHO, though i have only been able to age them a year or so. that year does well for em. i have very high hopes for the heritage. ill pick one or two up at my B&M to see if a box is worth buying from ccom.
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:
    if my experience with avo and other davidoff products holds up then they will be good ROTT and will also age fairly well, especially if they are a fuller bodied cigar. The Avo Domaine ages well IMHO, though i have only been able to age them a year or so. that year does well for em. i have very high hopes for the heritage. ill pick one or two up at my B&M to see if a box is worth buying from ccom.
    Avo is a brand I don't usually worry about resting since I already know that Davidoff doesn't push their cigars to market before they're ready. I think the churchill did the best job as far as putting forth the entire spectrum of flavor this blend encompasses, I felt it was the best balanced as well, whereas the other vitolas left me wanting for more, the churchill completely satisfied me. I don't think there is an Avo cigar I don't like, but this one places highly on my list.
    I just tried the Toro. It was ok. Not bad, not great. I got a bit bored with it at the end. I could just need to hit it with a fresher palate though. I just had that DL Chisel on Wednesday. I don't know. I'm going to sit on the few that I have and try it again in a month. I'll have to pick up a single stick of the Churchill in the meantime.
    kuzi16:
    Yeah, they just came out. I was more referring to rest, rather than age since mine seemed a tad wet. I think it was just the water pillow in my case. I've got a Domaine #50 that I am just waiting for a good time to try out. I have high hopes for that one. Good to know that about Davidoff though. It makes sense considering their reputation.