Home Ratings & Reviews

Huge Contest www.thecigarnut.com EDITED & EASIER

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
We at the cigar nut are running a series for 3 months called Achievements. In the spirit of Xbox 360, Boy Scouts, and the Man O War Achievement here we ran with the idea. As you will read Xikar is giving a cigar to each person who completes their specific achievement. One lucky winner gets 2 Xikar prototype cigars that are in development. There are more challenges posted already and more each week. It all leads up to a huge giveaway the first week of December. Sponsors so far include Xikar, La Aurora - Miami Cigar, General Cigar, EO Brands, 13th Floor Cigars, 262 Cigars, Tampa Humidors. We have more prizes and sponsors in the works. Grand prize is already huge!

for The Cigar Nut by @Jakrell

-Smoke all three XIKAR HC Series Cigars in one day – Connecticut Shade, Criollo, Habano Colorado. There is a bonus if you use a XIKAR cutter & XIKAR lighter to accomplish this achievement.

~This achievement, being the Intermediate class, does have a time requirement but does not have an order requirement.

The Cigar Nut proudly announces our first achievement badge challenge with the XIKAR HC Series Achievement Badge Challenge. In the spirit of good things like Boy Scout & Xbox 360 Achievements we decided to start giving our readers achievements to strive for and to make cigar smoking a little more fun and adventuresome. I have to thank a cigar forum buddy, fla-gypsy, at cigar.com for the idea since he did something similar. The challenge is simple – You must smoke all 3 XIKAR HC Series Cigars in one day to earn this achievement badge. If you use all XIKAR accessories (cutter, punch, v cutter, lighter, etc.) you will earn a bonus point towards the grand prize.

Leave a comment with a short review of your favorite HC Series cigar of the 3 blends and submit a pic of all 3 cigars by emailing us to complete this achievement. We prefer nubbed pics to prove you smoked them all. Be sure to submit your name and address with your picture(s). Those who complete the achievement will receive their favorite XIKAR HC Series cigar by mail and earn 5 achievement points. XIKAR will judge all entries and the best review will win 2 new prototype cigars that XIKAR has in development along with 7 achievement points. Complete all the upcoming achievements this fall and we will have a grand prize in December to whoever has accomplished the most achievements. The grand prize will include something nice from XIKAR as well as other prizes to be announced later. In the event of a tie we may have multiple prizes or a smoke off. You can only enter once per achievement. You have 4 weeks (Ending October 2nd, 2010) from the posting of this article to enter.

I start my achievement with my XIKAR Xi3 Titanium Spectra cutter, my XIKAR Axia chrome polished lighter, and a Robusto HC Series Connecticut Shade cigar. I will give you a short summary of each cigar below:

Connecticut Shade
Wrapper – Connecticut Shade – Equador
Binder – Samatra
Filler – Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua

The first thing I notice about this light colored cigar is how the wrapper reminds me of what you think a Cuban cigar should look like. Most of us have seen real Cuban cigars and the wrappers seem to have that slightly veiny and leathery look of an aged cigar. This cigar actually has some flavor and really shouldn’t be called mild. I am quite impressed. This is the first Connecticut Shade cigar I have enjoyed in a long time. Huge ash, tons of smoke, and I smoked it to the nub. I smoked this right after breakfast and it is the perfect morning cigar.

Criollo
Wrapper – Shade Grown Criollo – Nicaragua
Binder –Sun Grown Corojo- Nicaragua
Filler – Honduras, Nicaragua

This cigar is similar in looks to the previous cigar with the exception of a medium colored oily wrapper. The construction is wonderful and as close to perfection as you can get. This cigar steps it up a notch with a hearty medium flavor that started off with a hint of sweetness and a tea flavored aftertaste on the palate. The flavors intensified as I smoked it. A truly wonderful after lunch smoke.

Habano Colorado
Wrapper – Habano Colorado – Jalapa Valley
Binder – Esteli
Filler – Costa Rica, Jalapa Valley, Honduras

My after dinner cigar has a rich dark oily wrapper and once again is flawless in construction. The cigar is a perfect medium to full cigar after dinner. It isn’t too strong but just right. It starts off with some pepper and hits some real good chocolate flavors. The hint of sweetness throughout is wonderful and the flavors make this my favorite in the HC Series.

A short and sweet review of all 3 blends. Write something similar and don’t worry if you never reviewed a cigar before. Just tell us why you like that blend. It doesn’t matter what size you smoke. If you don’t have all XIKAR accessories get some or improvise. Use your teeth as a cutter or borrow a lighter from a friend or local B&M. All my locals have XIKAR accessories for customers to use so no excuses. All of these cigars were great. The Connecticut Shade really surprised me with the flavor and slight kick it had. Criollo and Habano Colorado have received high ratings and I think they are justified. The price point $7.75 to $9.25 is right in the area I want to be when I visit my B&M. I want you to all go out and try these. If you haven’t you are missing out. If you have in the past do it again and complete your XIKAR Achievement Badge.

This achievement is sponsored by XIKAR. Please be sure to visit their website and check out their new catalog.

www.XIKAR.com
http://www.xikar.com/catalog/xikar-fall-2010-catalog.asp

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys should check out the achievement page and start doing some. Some are very easy and more are getting posted weekly. Our sponsor list includes Xikar, La Aurora & Miami Cigar, EO Brands, Velvet Cigars, 13th Floor Cigars, 262 Cigars, CigaRobbie Radio Show, and several internet companies I won't post here out of respect to Ccom.

So far the grand prize includes multiple sampler packs, large travel humidor, cigar caddy, 3 pack of butane lighters, boxes of cigars. Some achievements have prizes for those who complete them. Xikar is giving everyone their favorite HC Series Cigar for completing their achievement and one lucky person gets 2 PROTOTYPE CIGARS! La Aurora is giving a 8 count box of Preferido Cigars to the first person who completes their achievement. 2nd and 3rd place finishers also get a prize. That will be posted soon. Anywhoot lots of prizes. Would like to see some participation from you guys. Especially those who have done the MOW here. Think we will have that going up also.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I want to do "The Chief" but I lack a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero 660, have all the others and would gladly donate my next day off to this achievement.... question though how would I submit pics n whatnot?
    The Flamer Achievement

3 points

Choose a single cigar blend (your decision) and smoke three cigars using various types of fire. IE, matches, torch, soft flame, etc. Upon completing this, please include which variety you preferred and why.

~This achievement, being the beginner class, does not have a time requirement, nor do you have to smoke them in any specific order.

Please send your pictures to my e-mail address – phacue101@gmail.com
    The Cut Achievement

3 Points

Choose a single cigar blend (your decision) and smoke three cigars using various cutting types. IE, one guillotine, one V, one Punch, one angle, etc. Upon completing this, please include which variety you preferred and why.

~This achievement, being the beginner class, does not have a time requirement, nor do you have to smoke them in any specific order.

The CAO Sopranos Line Achievement

3 points

Smoke all sizes of the CAO Sopranos Line – the Associate, Boss, Soldier and Tony Soprano (no time constraint)

The @Cigarsthomas Contraband Weekend Achievement

6 points

This achievement was inspired by @cigarsthomas on twitter actually without his knowledge. One weekend he decided, being the contraband king, that he would have an entire ‘contraband weekend’. Running with this idea I thought it would only be fitting to turn this into an achievement. For an entire weekend (Saturday and Sunday) supply at least one Cuban cigar per day for a minimum total of two.

~Although this only requires two cigars smoked to complete, due to the issues some of us may have in getting Cuban cigars this is in the intermediate class.

The Chief Achievement

This achievement comes to us from the neck snappa himself, @chiefhava – one of the ‘heavy weights’ in the cigar world. He supplied us with what I consider, a ridiculous achievement. If your up to the challenge, my hat goes off to you – I know for a fact I couldn’t complete this. One must smoke a Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Gran Consul, a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel, a Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo Pesadilla and a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero 660 in any order, but in a single sitting. I told you, ridiculous.
    OK people I will post them up as they go live. We have a variety of achievements from easy to difficult.

Prizes as of now include:
    Ashtray
    Lighters
    Large travel humidor
    Cigar Caddy
    5 pack of cigars
    Box of EO Brands cigars
    Sampler packs of EO Brands Cigars
    Free XIKAR HC Series to all who complete their achievement
    2 prototype XIKAR Cigars
    8 count box of La Aurora Preferidos
    2 runner up prizes from Miami Cigar for the La Aurora Achievement
    8 pack sampler of Velvet The Bowery Cigars
    5 pack sampler of 13th Floor Cigars Foundation
    5 pack sampler of 262 Paradigm & Ideology
    First person to complete each Achievement gets a free sampler of cigars from our humidors
    Confirmation from General Cigar on a prize

This is a start. More to come. Lets do it!
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    thanks to Cholmes I may be able to go for that Chief achievement, just need to get a LFD DL 660 here asap
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    okay, for some reason my computer wont let me get to the link that has the achievements. is there a way to get a list of achievments that are available?
    lcpleel:
    okay, for some reason my computer wont let me get to the link that has the achievements. is there a way to get a list of achievments that are available?
    This is the direct link

http://www.thecigarnut.com/achievements/

Or just go to www.thecigarnut.com and click the achievement tab at the top.
    - Go to your humidor and smoke that ‘special’ or rare cigar!

This achievement requires that you go directly to your humidor and smoke the rarest cigar that you have. Do not go to the B&M. Do not go to a friend’s humidor. Do not wait until you get something else in. Go to your humidor and pull out that special stick you have been saving and smoke it right now for no other reason other than to prove you have nuts and want to win our grand prize.

~We have classified this as ridiculous and those who do it will get 10 Achievement Points towards Decembers Grand Prize.

Had our first 2 winners this weekend. First person to complete any individual achievement automatically gets free cigars.

Alec Bradley became a sponsor today. First person to complete their achievement gets a free box of AB Cigars! They also donated a box to the grand prize. This grand prize is getting HUGE! More stuff going up. Some easy ones out there for free cigars guys.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I really want in, but I don't have any xikar equipment and none of the required cigars :(
    wwhwang:
    I really want in, but I don't have any xikar equipment and none of the required cigars :(
    Changed it so XIKAR accessories are optional for a bonus. The cigars are not that expensive. You have 3 months to complete the challenge but if you do it before Oct 2nd you get a free XIKAR cigar and a chance to try their new prototypes. NO NEED TO HAVE ALL XIKAR STUFF ANYMORE. Lots of easy ones posted up no one has done. Be first and get free cigars!
    What a bunch of felines here your (P)ussies. Free stuff and not one of you has come to collect. I have free boxes of stuff coming from La Aurora, EO Brands, and Alec Bradley. You guys suck.
    jsnake:
    What a bunch of felines here your (P)ussies. Free stuff and not one of you has come to collect. I have free boxes of stuff coming from La Aurora, EO Brands, and Alec Bradley. You guys suck.
    I'm actually planning on going after two or three achievements, but I'm freezing half my inventory as I just found an infested stick. Don't worry :P I'm coming for ya. Oh! Question though. I have one ISOM, but I'm expecting a box of ISOM cigarillos. Can I substitute 2 or 3 cigarillos as 1 ISOM cigar or do I have to get another full sized ISOM for the Contraband Achievement?
    I don't think size matters. If it doesn't say so in the achievement smoke what you got. Do the XIKAR and get a free XIKAR cigar and the chance to try their 2 new prototype blends right from Kurt Van Keppel's personal humidor. I smoked one and it was great. You DO NOT have to use a XIKAR cutter or lighter but if you do you get a bonus towards the grand prize. Bring it bro.
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    wait i sent you the ISOM pictures and the MONTI pic i dont get the box? BOO!
    If you were first on any achievement you will get cigars automatically. Some achievements are sponsored and prizes for that achievement are stated in the achievement. There was no box giveaway for an ISOM or Monti. The email goes to David and he hasn't updated things so I am trying to figure where we are at. I know he sent out 5 packages to 5 different guys Friday. You might have been one of them.
    Smoke any Dutch Master, Black and Mild, Grey Owl, Swisher or other cigar that has been machine made AND sold in a 7-11, convenience store or local ‘grab and go’ establishment. It must have the words ‘Quality’ or ‘Premium’ on the box or the wrapper.

~Being in the beginner class, this one is a bit easier and therefore the points are reduced. There is not a price limit but you MUST include a picture of you actually smoking one!

Smoke the Arturo Fuente King B, King T and Queen B in a single day. Simple as that!

~This achievement, being the intermediate class, does have a time limit of one 24 hour period but the order is not specific.

~Prepare your favorite cigar to be smoked and destroy it without taking even one puff of it.

I won’t lie. This is going to be hard. Go to your humidor and find your favorite cigar. It doesn’t have to be the most expensive or rarest cigar you have. It just has to be the cigar you absolutely love and can’t get by without at this point of your cigar smoking life. Take in the aroma and feel of it in your hand. Cut the cigar and enjoy the pre-light draw. Light the cigar and smell the wonderful burning tobacco of your favorite cigar. Now take that sucker and destroy it without taking one puff. Rip it, shred it, and smash it apart. Try not to drip any tears of sorrow on the remains as you take your after photograph.

~We have classified this as ridiculous and those who complete it will get 8 Achievement Points towards Decembers Grand Prize. We will need a minimum of 3 photos – Pre-cut, after lighting and destruction although the more evidence you have, the better haha!

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jsnake:
    ~Prepare your favorite cigar to be smoked and destroy it without taking even one puff of it.

I won’t lie. This is going to be hard. Go to your humidor and find your favorite cigar. It doesn’t have to be the most expensive or rarest cigar you have. It just has to be the cigar you absolutely love and can’t get by without at this point of your cigar smoking life. Take in the aroma and feel of it in your hand. Cut the cigar and enjoy the pre-light draw. Light the cigar and smell the wonderful burning tobacco of your favorite cigar. Now take that sucker and destroy it without taking one puff. Rip it, shred it, and smash it apart. Try not to drip any tears of sorrow on the remains as you take your after photograph.

~We have classified this as ridiculous and those who complete it will get 8 Achievement Points towards Decembers Grand Prize. We will need a minimum of 3 photos – Pre-cut, after lighting and destruction although the more evidence you have, the better haha!

You SICK BASTURD!! NO WAY !!!!
    laker1963:
    jsnake:

You SICK BASTURD!! NO WAY !!!!
    First person to do it gets free cigars!
    Doing the Mental Illness challenge right now!
    And...pics sent! One of my favorite cigars gone. You shall not be forgotten.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Did you destroy an infected stick?, 2 birds with 1 stone. LOL
    fla-gypsy:
    wwhwang:
    Did you destroy an infected stick?, 2 birds with 1 stone. LOL
    Unfortunately no lol. I'm not even sure if I like the Gurkha Grand Envoy, as I've never had it. In fact, I threw the infected stick into a fire pit. This was a perfectly good Nica Libre. It quickly became one of my favorites, if not my favorite, lately.
    ~Smoke all 5 Preferidos Connecticut, Dominican Corojo, Brazilian Maduro, Cameroon, and Ecudorian Sumatra

Ok guys here is your challenge to earn the La Aurora Preferido Achievement and 12 points towards the grand prize. The La Aurora Preferido comes in 5 different wrappers – Connecticut, Dominican Corojo, Brazillian Maduro, Cameroon, and Ecudorian Sumatra. You must submit a before picture showing all 5 cigars together and an after picture of all 5 cigars nubbed. Be sure to also let us know what your favorite La Aurora Preferido wrapper is. There is no time requirement but you might want to hurry when you read on about the prizes. You DO NOT have to smoke them all in 1 day or in 1 sitting.

The first person to complete this achievement will receive an 8 count box of La Auror Preferido from Miami Cigar in their choice of favorite wrapper and 17 achievement points towards the grand prize. The 2nd and 3rd people to complete the achievement will receive a nice surprise from Miami Cigar as well as 16 achievement points towards the grand prize. Everyone else will receive 15 points so even if you aren’t one of the first 3 do not miss these points for our huge grand prize in December.

This Achievement is sponsored by the great people at Miami Cigar & Company and La Aurora. Please be sure to visit their websites and support these wonderful companies.

Http://www.miamicigarandcompany.com/

Http://www.laaurora.com.do/