Home Cigar 101

How to prevent Canoeing

So lately a few of my cigars will canoe a little bit on me. I did a search on here first and all i really found was it looks like there are 2 main causes. 1) Not lighting the foot evenly 2) The construction of the cigar one side is tightly packed while the other could be a little looser. I feel i am lighting the foot evenly because the canoeing doesnt start till maybe a inch or more down. So if the cause is construction is there a way to prevent this? or could there be another reason. What i am seeing on the cigar when it does this. Is that it doesnt seem like the filler on the canoeing side is burning as "hot" and not keeping the wrapper lit. Sometimes it catches up but sometimes it seems like it burns like that through most of the cigar and looks like it burns at a 45 degree angle or so. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JY001JY001 Posts: 49
    I believe that too much humidity can also cause canoeing. While smoking I touch up with a lighter to catch up.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Young cigars sometimes suffer from this; if a cigar canoes, it probably could've used a few more months in the humi. This happens with the 5 Vegas Gold Maduro - when you first get them, the burn is pretty bad; a few months in the humi and they burn fine
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Yep, they just need more rest in a properly humidified environment. ie, your humidor. Provided you've got it at a good temp and rh level.
  • pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    Down here in Galveston it's usually about 90% humidity and its impossible to prevent burn issues, even if your humidor is perfect. My cigars almost sweat when i take them outside.
  • pnaylon:
    Down here in Galveston it's usually about 90% humidity and its impossible to prevent burn issues, even if your humidor is perfect. My cigars almost sweat when i take them outside.
    I guess thats a bonus of NH humidity isnt to bad of an issue usually (this year sucked)
  • when i first started smoking i had this problem still have it from time to time thought i was just a nub and not lighting them properly never knew that the age/humility played a roll..
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    if its happening with one particular brand/batch, it might just be the batch you got. aging may help, if not, keep a light handy and touch it up as it goes down. not a pleasant experience, but it will work. Another long shot could be if those cigars are on a tray above your humidity devise, one side maybe more moist than the other......i doubt this is the case, but ive seen this happen to others. More and/or rotate em in the humi.
  • Stryker808:
    if its happening with one particular brand/batch, it might just be the batch you got. aging may help, if not, keep a light handy and touch it up as it goes down. not a pleasant experience, but it will work. Another long shot could be if those cigars are on a tray above your humidity devise, one side maybe more moist than the other......i doubt this is the case, but ive seen this happen to others. More and/or rotate em in the humi.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I've been hit and miss with sticks burning well lately and this crossed my mind. I have a 3-drawer humidor and I generally don't disturb the cigars too much, so on Wednesday I went through and shuffled them around just incase. I'll see how things do comparatively.
  • I was on a business trip this week to Guyana. They had some Cohibas behind the bar, so I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to try an ISOM. And now I have experienced canoeing. It tasted fine, but burned faster on one side than the other and was hard to keep lit. Of course, now reading this I guess it makes sense since the temp/rh in Guyana is about 85/85 at night....and the cigars were in the original box behind the outdoor bar....no humi. Ah well, at least I learned something.
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    xmacro:
    Young cigars sometimes suffer from this; if a cigar canoes, it probably could've used a few more months in the humi. This happens with the 5 Vegas Gold Maduro - when you first get them, the burn is pretty bad; a few months in the humi and they burn fine
    You have some 5 Vegas Gold Maduro that have been in the humi for a few months. Please let me know if i'm mistaken but I thought they hit the market about the first of Aug. Of course, as my wife reminds me, I'm often wrong.