Home General Discussion

Coolidor fan

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had a couple small muffin-type fans left over from another project and wanted to rig one to run off a timer so I wouldn't have to mess with it. They run on 12 volts DC so I picked up one of those small transformers that can be plugged into 120 VAC and cut off the plug on the 12V end so I could splice it to the leads on the muffin fan.

It works fine. I've currently got the timer set so that it turns the fan on for 15 minutes every 2 hours. 15 minutes is the shortest time span available on the timer I have.

Do any of you BOTL's have an opinion regarding the timing of this setup? Is once every 2 hours overkill or should it be more frequent? My coolidor stands vertically like a refrigerator and has shelves for the sticks. I keep the beads, the moisture source, and the fan on the bottom shelf.

Any input would be appreciated.

Marty

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it may be ok being less frequent. if it was 5 minutes every two hours that would be better. but 15 should hurt anything. its just on longer than needed.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might it be better every 4 hours? Or every 3?

Marty

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i think every two should be fine. its the how long its on that is a very slight concern. the point is to just keep the air kinda stired up and humidity even. this only requires a fan to run a minute or so. it wont hurt to run more (as long as the cigars arent RIGHT IN FRONT of the fan) but its more than is needed. that set up you have should be fine.
    Great. Thanks a lot - I appreciate the input.

Marty

• Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    how did you do rig this up? I'd like a fan in mine but I dont know how :-(
    Check your inbox for the next day or so....I'll try to get a sketch to you asap.

Marty

• Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    you are the best