Home Cigar 101

Will wild fluctuations in humidity have a bearing on a cigar

Hello Last night, I calibrated my analog hygrometer using the salt test (That thing was 15% off!!). I placed the hygro in my seasoned humidor about midnight. I checked it this morning And the reading was at 78%. So I put a wooden match stick between the lid and the humidor body. Stopped by at lunch time to check and the reading is at 73%. Hopefully, the humidor is settling down and stabilizing. I have a single cigar that has been subjected to these fluctuations. Will my lonely cigar be affected by these fluctuations? Chris

Comments

• ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    It may be negatively affected, but as long as the wraper doesn't burst (typically from rapid increase in humidity) it will still be smokeable. Once the humidor gets stabilized, leave the cigar in there for a week or so, so it can adjust, then smoke it.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    its good to point out that it is smokeable as long as the wrapper didnt burst. Please note that it will not be as the Blender intended if those fluctuations were to big and/or for too long.
  • cphk96cphk96 Posts: 14
    The cigar hasn't burst. I just checked it and the humidity is down to 68%. If it goes any lower, I am going to take the matchstick from under the lid. Man oh man, this is frustrating. I would like to get this stabalized before my sampler package arrives.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if your humidor is mostly empty then having cigars in there will actually help steady it. a full humi will hold better RH than an empty one.

another thing that would help is if you purchased some humidity beads. IMHO the green foam crap that comes in humidors is worthless.
  • kuzi16:
    if your humidor is mostly empty then having cigars in there will actually help steady it. a full humi will hold better RH than an empty one.

another thing that would help is if you purchased some humidity beads. IMHO the green foam crap that comes in humidors is worthless.
    Agreed. Fill that sucker up. The sticks will actually absorb some excess moisture and help stabilize it.
  • cphk96cphk96 Posts: 14
    kuzi16:
    I think I finally got her stabilized. I noticed a pattern. I would put a dish of water in the humidor to season it. After it reached a RH and stayed there, I would take out the dish of distilled water and put the puck in. Slowly by slowly the RH would decrease. Repeated the process a couple of times. It's the cheap, useless puck. This payday coming up, I am going to buy some beads.