Home Cigar 101

Re-lighting a cigar.

I seem to be having problems with some of my cigars burning out on me.  I guess I may be smoking them too slowly, or they could be too moist I guess, not sure.  Regardless, is there any special trick to relighting a cigar?  Everytime I try, I taste this awful flavor, reminds me of burnt paper, and I end up throwing out my cigar anyway.  Any help would be great!

Comments

• RathavenRathaven Posts: 7

Got an excellent suggestion a while back and for me it works; once the stick is out completely, knock off as much of the ash as you can without tearing the wrapper. Blow gently through the cigar before re-lighting, then bring the flame to the end and gently blow and then draw. Blowing the particulates toward the end where they’re burned by the flame, then a clean draw is possible.

Õ¿Õ¬

~

• DonnyDonny Posts: 7
    PappyJ, there are few things I would suggest, although you may have already thought of them. 1) Make sure the humidity in your humidor is between 65-70% and not a percent higher. I have had discussions on this toipic with a few people in the industry, and they've all said, "a dry cigar is better than a wet one". 2) How long have you had the cigars you're smoking? I find with any cigar I buy or bring home, it's always best to give them a minimum of a two weeks sleep in the humi. This gives them a chance to balance out and stabilize a bit. 3) Are you smoking indoors or out? I find that if I'm smoking a cigar outside and there is any kind of wind, I need to nurse more often than in calm weather or if I'm indoors. How long are you taking between puffs? Rathaven, thats a great suggestion. This is typically my method for re-lighting as well. I find that it's always best to flush out any stale air and harsh setiments before smoking again.
  • CastleCrestCastleCrest Posts: 51
    Donny:
    1) Make sure the humidity in your humidor is between 65-70% and not a percent higher. I have had discussions on this toipic with a few people in the industry, and they've all said, "a dry cigar is better than a wet one".

I keep my humidor at 62% - I like the way my cigars smoke at that RH.

I'd try leaving a cigar out of the humidor for 30-60 minutes
    before smoking it & see how it smokes.
    The time difference is dependent on how dry the room is.
    IMHO - 66% and ip is to high for smoking.
    Long term storage at 65-70% is good!!!!
  • ncosinoncosino Posts: 3
    As far as relighting it.  One method I do is I first blow out.  Sometimes that will start it back up.  If not and the cigar is cool, I rip off the ash.  If it has been there long enough most cigars kind of harden.  Also, if you can cut it off it will be like a new cigar.  I just rip it off the crust when i'm at work because I ony have time to smoke 10-15 minutes at a time.  I'm relighting all day.
  • I have yet to have any success with relighting a cigar. They're always bitter, cigarette-smoky tasting. Bleh. I do what seems logical: clip the foot a quarter inch behind the ash. Recently a friend advised also blowing out the excess smoke. I don't but it back in the zippidor or humidor for fear of contaminating others.. Any ideas? Much appreciated.
    Cheers.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Most cigars will taste bitter after they are re-lit. However the methods described above will all help. I can only add that you should not give up on the cigar. It will take a minute or two but after it has burned down some the bitter taste will go away and the real taste will return. And yes DO NOT put it back in your humi. (unless of course you first place it in a zip lock or whatever, but I don't see the point... saving for later?)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Donny:
    How long are you taking between puffs?
    if the answer is anything but "about a puff a minute" then you should try to aim for that goal. it makes a big difference.

everyone else has already said what i would say. so... why waste any more time.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    "about a puss a minute"
    DAMN! Does the wife know?
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    "about a puss a minute"
    DAMN! Does the wife know?

LMAO. No wonder Kuzi smokes only every other day or so. He is too busy taking Puss's to take puff's. But at least he is pacing himself!