Home Cigar 101

Using Ziplock w/ humidification instead of humidor?

asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
I'm going to be living in England for a year and am thinking of just leaving my CCOM 20 ct humi - which always has trouble holding humidity - back home and just using a big ziplock bag with a couple of drymistat sticks. I don't plan to do serious aging - not longer than a month or two, usually - and won't be holding more than 10-15 cigars at a time, probably, since there's not many places there that allow you to smoke. Would the ziplock with Drymistat tubes be a real good long-term solution, or is there a real benefit to having a humi? With the ziplock, my humidity is always around 70%, while in the humi it usually crashes to the low 60s even after a really good seasoning.

Comments

• Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Hey the zip-lok would probably work...but why not just get the Xikar 15 ct travel humi. Minimal maintenance and you can keep up to about 12-15 stiks. Perfect seal and humidification.
  • asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
    Thanks, I've been looking into travel humis but what I'm wondering is, what's the benefit of using a humi as opposed to a Ziplock? With a ziplock I'm pretty much guaranteed to have an airtight seal (and if it's not, it's cheap to replace), and I can fit a lot more than 15 cigars if necessary, all for next to no money given that I already have the drymistat sticks. I get that humis are of course aesthetically better and the cedar is helpful for aging, but otherwise, is there a good reason to shell out the cash on a humi which might not have a great seal?
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I used Ziploc bags for a couple years before purchasing a humidor.They work just fine.Just not as cool looking.I also used bags inside of a cigar box for a while for extra protection.
    Thanks crzy, glad to see it works out. This is really only a temporary solution for a year (at most) of what will be relatively low smoking.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Problem with the ziplock, for travel, is that it doesn't protect the sticks.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I am using ziplocks with jel jars right now for "overflow'
    Works fine, but it's not furniture as a humi would be

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I just thinks it's kick butt that you are going to live in England for a year!
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I received a box unexpectedley(sp?). Now I'm getting another Humi. LOL (Right now the box is in a H.D. Zip Lock w/beads)
    Lasabar:
    I just thinks it's kick butt that you are going to live in England for a year!
    Me too! :D
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Hawk55:
    Hey the zip-lok would probably work...but why not just get the Xikar 15 ct travel humi. Minimal maintenance and you can keep up to about 12-15 stiks. Perfect seal and humidification.
    I use a Humi-Care 15ct for my over-flow as well as a Tupperware container, trying to save for a few trips or I would buy another Humi
  • Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    asolomon:
    I'm going to be living in England for a year and am thinking of just leaving my CCOM 20 ct humi - which always has trouble holding humidity - back home and just using a big ziplock bag with a couple of drymistat sticks. I don't plan to do serious aging - not longer than a month or two, usually - and won't be holding more than 10-15 cigars at a time, probably, since there's not many places there that allow you to smoke. Would the ziplock with Drymistat tubes be a real good long-term solution, or is there a real benefit to having a humi? With the ziplock, my humidity is always around 70%, while in the humi it usually crashes to the low 60s even after a really good seasoning.
    the only public place where you can smoke inside is in the bar in the houses of parliament.
    one rule for them and another for everyone else :(

some bars do have a smoking area but its outside. and is usually just a roof with a patio heater under it.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Ziplocks work fine. I am beyond out of room. I have four humidors filled, two tupperware containers, and now I have quite a few ziplock gallon bags filled and they all smoke the same. I'm officially on cigar buying lockdown. . . just like I was last month, and the month before, and the month before that ;)
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    undulac:
    Ziplocks work fine. I am beyond out of room. I have four humidors filled, two tupperware containers, and now I have quite a few ziplock gallon bags filled and they all smoke the same. I'm officially on cigar buying lockdown. . . just like I was last month, and the month before, and the month before that ;)
    Thanks for letting me know Im not all alone in this undulac.... I think we need a support group or something.

Hi, my name is Glen, and Im a cigar hoarder. :-D
    <br
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    One2gofst:
    Also, you've got to be VERY careful to keep the ziplock out of direct sunlight... which turns your ziplock into an induction heater, which turns the cigars into fossils in a double-quick hurry!

Go ahead, ASK ME HOW I KNOW... :-( LOL

• A "Friend of mine" keeps all of his "Very Far South" cigars in a zip lock bag with humi pillows because he is worried about an outbreak of little critters. I.... I mean "He" has been doing this for about a year now and the smokes still smoke great.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    One2gofst:
    Also, you've got to be VERY careful to keep the ziplock out of direct sunlight... which turns your ziplock into an induction heater, which turns the cigars into fossils in a double-quick hurry!

Go ahead, ASK ME HOW I KNOW... :-( LOL

Thank you for that. I had no idea.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    Looks like it is time for me to bust out some ziplocks for overflow haha - Do you buy the ones that have the slider that you use to close the bag or just the original style? Also, How many beads would you recommend in one of those or do you think it is easier to just use the gel crystals?