Home Non Cigar Related

Wish me Luck!

PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
Well everyone, I put in a resume last Friday for a job with an advertising agency here in the Dallas area. Advertising is what I've wanted to do for years, just haven't pursued it since I left the radio station I used to work at back in 2003. The police dept. has just been a job to support the family for now, and I am ready to do something where I'm not working 5pm-5am and I'm never home to tuck my son into bed, not dealing with the worst people and other people at the worst time, and not struggling to get the bills paid. I do enjoy my job very much most of the time, but I think it's time to move onto something that will make me happy and is something with opportunities to advance as far as I can. Wish me luck everyone!

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck! For the first 10 years of my son's life I usually worked from before he was up, until after he was in bed, 6 or 7 days a week. No amount of money is worth what you miss when you work like that. You may or may not remember Harry Chapin's song, Cats in the Cradle, but truer words were never put to music. Hope it works for you.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Puro, best of luck to you and thanks for your service! I love my military job too, but with 9 years of hard deployments I think I'm ready for another job. I missed my childrens' birthdays for the 3rd straight year and I think this pretty much does it for me...will have to see how things transpire when I return home.
  • Best of luck Puro. I hate to lose a brother in blue as we need ya now more than ever, but you have to do what makes you happy and take care of your boy. Hope all works out for you.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    This thread really makes me realize how lucky those of us who get to see our kids everyday are. Good luck Puro, hope it works out for you!

"Long ashes my friends."

• smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck to you brother. I am sure things will work out for the best.
  • G'luck Puro!!
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Good luck!
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Best of Luck as you follow your dream.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Good luck with whatever you do Jason. Hope you get the new job bro'.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Best of luck to you, Puro.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    i can relate to this more now than ever before...my son's early years saw me working very long hours and lots of work brought home. I did get to participate in a lot of his after school activities at a point because my work started to become seasonal. Now that he has gone away to college I miss the time we could have had...
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Thanks guys! I'm hoping something works out soon. Until then at least I'm working and can take of my family. And for that I am very thankful.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I worked shift work many years and missing the special times with my family was the worst part of it. Good luck to you
  • Good luck Puro! A friend of mine works in an ad agency, he loves it!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck! If you do get it we should all plan to smoke at the same time to celebrate!
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I'm rooting for ya hard brotha...best of luck with that job! Go get your Mad Men on! Let us know how it pans out, of course..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    They say if you find a job you love, you never "work" another day in your life. Will keep my fingers crossed that you get the new job, will hope that its everything you hope it will be & MORE, and will thank you for your service to the community... just in case nobody has said it to you in a while.

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Congrats and good luck Puro!! I always tell my guys it takes balls to reenlist and stay in the military, it takes bigger balls to get out. And the same is true for you. Youre leaving your safety net and what is familiar to you. The only way to succeed though is to set yourself up for failure. Best of luck bro, it really takes stones to follow your dreams.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    You know I'm prayin for and wishing you the best of luck my friend ! I hope it all works out for whats best for you and the family . Kids , they grow up so fast , if you can spend more time with them thats great. We will have to smoke a celebratory stick when it works out . Gene