Home Non Cigar Related

New to Seafood - Don't want to throw up

LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
I am making dinner for the lady tonight and purchased Frozen/Cooked Crab Legs and Frozen Cooked Shrimp

I've already done myself a disservice by buying precooked shrimp for I've read that if I literally cook them again (like in a scampi etc.) that they will be rubbery, and I can only really put them in a pasta/alfredo sauce just to heat them up... So that sucks

But my question was can I thaw the crab legs faster? I have about 3.5 hours time that they can sit in the fridge, but the box says 8 hours... I have read not to use warm water with any shellfish, but what about cold water to thaw them faster? Any suggestions?

Comments

• VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Cold water is fine. iut for the crab legs...feel free to put them in boiling water for 2-5 minutes right before you eat and they will be nice and warm and not overdone either....crab legs very easy, either way your fine..........As far as the shrimp, indeed DO NOT cook them again, just warm them or they will be might rubbery and taste old. Cook the alfredo and throw the shrimp in just long enough to get warm---youll be fine.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I would put them in a ziplock and thaw them under cold water in a collender or some sort of strainer, and they should be fine Sir
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Cold water is fine. iut for the crab legs...feel free to put them in boiling water for 2-5 minutes right before you eat and they will be nice and warm and not overdone either....crab legs very easy, either way your fine..........As far as the shrimp, indeed DO NOT cook them again, just warm them or they will be might rubbery and taste old. Cook the alfredo and throw the shrimp in just long enough to get warm---you'll be fine.
    a big +1 to this since it was posted while I was typing my response
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Thanks fellas!
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Just lay the shrimp out in a single layer on the sidewalk in direct sunlight for all three hours, then when you're ready to eat just throw them in there... Should be fine! I would suggest having buckets near by during dinner however...
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    Just lay the shrimp out in a single layer on the sidewalk in direct sunlight for all three hours, then when you're ready to eat just throw them in there... Should be fine! I would suggest having buckets near by during dinner however...
    Two things wrong with this...
    ONE The sun has already gone down in Wisconsin... (duh)
    and TWO I always have buckets near me when I eat, for I... EAT... OUT OF... BUCKETS!
  • Crab isn't shellfish ;)
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    take everyones advice on the crab but THROW those dame shrimp out frozen cooked shrimp are good for nothing except maybe thawing and eating like that
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    How did it go?
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    jship079:
    take everyones advice on the crab but THROW those dame shrimp out frozen cooked shrimp are good for nothing except maybe thawing and eating like that
    I am with this one, we call that bait over here in Florida. Good luck to you.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 fellow floridian