Home General Discussion
Options

not smoking

Do any of you ever go through a period of time when you just don't buy or smoke cigars for awhile? I have been busy as hell and haven't had time to enjoy a cigar in a month. I guess the upside is that the newest sticks in my humi already have 4 months on them and quite a few 1 year+. Hopefully I can take a day off this weekend and enjoy a smoke.

Comments

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I do bit not for lack of trying. I work some pretty effed up hours, and when I'm on the ship I'm either smoking 2 a day or none for days. I try to fit it on at bare minimum once a week, it's "vinnys relax time"
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    bobd:
    Do any of you ever go through a period of time when you just don't buy or smoke cigars for awhile? I have been busy as hell and haven't had time to enjoy a cigar in a month. I guess the upside is that the newest sticks in my humi already have 4 months on them and quite a few 1 year+. Hopefully I can take a day off this weekend and enjoy a smoke.
    I go through those phases... It comes and goes... I'm the exact opposite, most of the summer I haven't had the time/urge to smoke... not that it's a bit chilly I'm on the UPTICK!
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try to make time. It will relax you.

I know that when I'm really busy and getting stressed, I take the time to stop and enjoy a smoke. Since I've been smoking more this summer and now into Fall, my blood pressure is down 25 points!
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    I went 8 months with out smokeing I was haveing alot of medical problems. I often go several weeks in the winter without smokeing since I mostly smoke outside and almost always work crazy shifts
  • Options
    YankeeMan:

I know that when I'm really busy and getting stressed, I take the time to stop and enjoy a smoke. Since I've been smoking more this summer and now into Fall, my blood pressure is down 25 points!
    You think we can do a study and get the people in the medical field to say cigars are good for your blood pressure
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    jship079:
    YankeeMan:

You think we can do a study and get the people in the medical field to say cigars are good for your blood pressure
    Unfortunately, Nicotine is a known vasoconstrictor. It may raise your blood pressure, but nothing relaxes me like a cigar.
  • Options
    shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    I go through phases - I usually try to have a cigar on Sundays since it is my relax day. Occasionally I'll have one during the week but I just never have the time and not that big of a fan of smoking by myself outside in the dark.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bobd:
    Do any of you ever go through a period of time when you just don't buy or smoke cigars for awhile?
    no.

i think i would cry after a few days

• Options
    Having just started into this back in july I was able to have a stick usually every other day so maybe three four a week....with the cooler weather and a new england winter I know that I don't have much time to enjoy the outdoors, but hopefully it will be a milder winter cause I hate smokin indoors.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    I've had a sinus infection and been busy as hell. I'm hoping that the next few days I will get a couple of sticks in. Been too long for me.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    bobd:
    I'm in one right now, it freaking sucks. Especially when my humi is 2 states north of me, poor thing has been drying out for 5 weeks.
  • Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Sandman1am:
    I've had a sinus infection and been busy as hell. I'm hoping that the next few days I will get a couple of sticks in. Been too long for me.
    same here, sinus infection has been killing me. Last night was the first day I felt like I was actually getting over it...lit up a LP rat...felt great!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    As busy as I get sometimes, I always try to make time for a smoke, either it being at least once or week or what.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    docbp87:
    jship079:
    YankeeMan:

Unfortunately, Nicotine is a known vasoconstrictor. It may raise your blood pressure, but nothing relaxes me like a cigar.
    I did know this but was trying to have a little hope thanks for stealing it LOL
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Im a seasonal / streaky smoker. I will have no sticks for a month, then 1 every other day for a couple weeks. Also, during the winter and hot summer it is a bit tough to get through a smoke.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    Im a seasonal / streaky smoker. I will have no sticks for a month, then 1 every other day for a couple weeks. Also, during the winter and hot summer it is a bit tough to get through a smoke.
    This is me as well. Before the 4 I had on Saturday it had been a while, about a month I guess. And at least a month before that too. Hopefully now that the weather is a bit cooler and I can pull out the smoking coat I'll get some more smokes in!
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    My main factor is the general business of life. It's counterintuitive for managing stress, but as life gets busier and busier I have less time for cigars. I've gone a month without one once, but generally try to keep it to once a week at a minimum.
  • Options
    RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    Ive only been smoking for a month or so now. and its been off and on. depends on work and how cold it is since i cant smoke inside. some weeks i had 4-5 some only 1-2. Will see what happens this winter here in NH hope its a mild one.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    It used to be one a day for me. Lately it's been one every other day with school starting back up. Such is life.
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Pretty steady at 3 or 4 a week. Sometimes 3 in one day though.
  • Options
    Nick2021:
    Sandman1am:
    same here, sinus infection has been killing me. Last night was the first day I felt like I was actually getting over it...lit up a LP rat...felt great!
    I'm feeling much better today. I'm hoping that my dad comes over soon so we can enjoy a few while the weather is nice. Glad to hear you are feeling better Nick.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Yeah, like everyone else here, over the years I seem to fluctuate a bit. Usually I'm a 1-2 per week kind of guy, except around the holidays when that goes way up. But sometimes life/work gets in the way, and sometimes the budget gets in the way. It has definitely been harder for me this year with a 9 month old little dude to take care of, but man, making time for a smoke is sometimes the most important thing you can do in a week. Its like a mental reset button when your fried.

Btw, robustos are your friend when you don't have much time.
  • Options
    jship079:
    YankeeMan:

Fat chance of that. I do have to go to the doctor's next week and when she sees the lower BP, I'm going to tell her why. I'm anxious to see what she says.

Before Lassie says something about a female doctor, I'm a prostate cancer survivor and I wanted a doctor with small hands!
  • Options
    YankeeMan:
    jship079:
    YankeeMan:

Fat chance of that. I do have to go to the doctor's next week and when she sees the lower BP, I'm going to tell her why. I'm anxious to see what she says.

Before Lassie says something about a female doctor, I'm a prostate cancer survivor and I wanted a doctor with small hands!
    She's a hooker.... Anyone that says otherwise is lying...
    You pay her obscene amounts of money to put her hand up your butt... Either she's a hooker or you are WAY to into ventriloquism!
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    YankeeMan:
    jship079:
    YankeeMan:

You pay her obscene amounts of money to put her hand up your butt... Either she's a hooker or you are WAY to into ventriloquism!
    I always wondered why my jaw moved!

• Options
    YankeeMan:
    Lasabar:
    YankeeMan:
    jship079:
    YankeeMan:

I always wondered why my jaw moved!

It also explains why she always drinks a glass of water while performing on you!
  • Options
    pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    It also explains why its painful to sit through her performances!
  • Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    im in one of my sinus polyp/asthma flare ups. its been about a month since ive had a stick, and it will probably be at least a month or more before i have another. its killing me.
  • Options
    I got back on the wagon last night! Sweet thing was that I finally got to stick A of the mystery stick game.......too bad I have no clue what it was.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    bobd:
    When I'm busy, or low on spare cash. Even still I tend to find time, and still browse the sites. I don't really need to buy cigars. I could theoretically stop buying and probably still have enough cigars for years. I love a good deal though. I do force myself to take a break from cigars for a few days, maybe a week when I want to refresh my palate. Especially when I want to try some new sticks. It helps me pick up and appreciate the subtleties. I've also found I enjoy the cigar more if it's not an everyday occurrence.