Home Non Cigar Related

FAILURE!!

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
no. not my bank. nothing to do with banks really.

today was my first attempt to make pretzels. sounds easy right? it is and it isnt.

they taste great, but i rolled them a bit too big... i mean, i let them sit too long before popping them in the hot box. the yeast made them rise too much before they hit the oven. they didnt quite cook right.

... and i need to find some actual pretzel salt. the large grain Kosher salt wasnt big enough. i dint get the texture i wanted.

live and learn.

anyone else make pretzels at home? tips? thoughts? suggestions?

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I make them by taking them out of the box and putting them in the oven. In fact, I'm enjoying a couple right now.

We did used to make donuts when I was a kid.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Interesting...I've never thought to try and make pretzels...and I love me some pretzels. Soft and warm, dry and crunchy, salted, unsalted....I love pretzels.

Question: are you trying to make the big softies? Also, do you have a recipe you could share, as I'd like to give this a whirl some time?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ah... you are making soft pretzels. im making hard pretzels. I wanna work my way up to pumpenickle and onion pretzels. ... some of my favorite.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Sea Salt Kuz. Its usually bigger than kosher salt.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Bad Andy:
    Sea Salt Kuz. Its usually bigger than kosher salt.
    thats usually TOO big. they actually sell pretzel salt that is made from a smaller grain then pressed together to make a very dense perfectly sized pretzel salt. they are selling the stuff that comes in the boxes of soft pretzels you get at the store... just minus the pretzels.
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    I've never been a big fan of hard pretzels.... Unless they were chocolate covered that is... ;) Soft pretzels I generally like a lot... Just a royal pain in the *** with poaching first, etc...
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Any cigars have "Pretzel" tastes???

p.s. I always preferred the hard ones... But every now and then I would get a soft one that was a giver... and that is also thoroughly enjoyable
    It was just a matter of time...
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    urbino:
    Urby, no one's going to get that.. I got it, because I thought the same thing when I read his post :)
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    dutyje:
    urbino:
    Urby, no one's going to get that.. I got it, because I thought the same thing when I read his post :)
    You guys are a little twisted...
    Luko:
    dutyje:
    urbino:
    You guys are a little twisted...
    Oy!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    urbino:
    Duty.. We get 'em , sometimes it's best not to respond.
    This forum is better than a psychiatrist!

I can work out all my problems and craziness right here!
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Yep...just let me know if you need more "meds," Lassy.
    Lassy prefers "Meds" Lite.
    urbino:
    Lassy prefers "Meds" Lite.
    And what would you think I'm doing right now??? Drinking my "Meds" Lite!!! Booya!