Home Cigar 101

Do you separate your cigars by type in the humi?

Do you keep your maduros with maduros and so forth or do you just put em in and leave em in? A couple of guys back home in the states told me to keep different types apart so that the flavors didn't mix. It makes sense but how much can they affect each other? I know I posted a lot of questions here lately but you guys seem to really know your stuff so who better to ask?!!?!

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    they are all in there together. no need to separate.

there are a bunch of issues in that question.

how much can they effect each other? not a lot. if there was a big influence from one cigar to the next then people would take cheap cigars and throw in one good one and let it ipart flavor on the cheap ones. It doesnt work that way.

also, if you have the cellophane on then there is no tobacco actually touching so the oil wont marry...even if the cello of off, so little oils will mix that just about none of us will be able to tell any difference.

im sure that someone will bring up the fact that cello is porus and oil could get through there. I doubt that it can given, the increibly small volume of oil in one cigar. Even if the oil could get through the cellophane we have already discussed above that so little oils will mix that there will be no taste difference.
  • BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    I would agree with Kuzi, i dont think that the flavors would change i also dont think that you would be able to tell the difference.

i keep my cigars in a size order though out of convinience. for example the robustos would be in the center and the churchills would be at the end, however i started rotating my cigars and this or does not really matter any more

if you keep the cello on its a pretty full proof method from keeping the flavors changing i dont think it is worth the investment to get seperate humidors because you have separate types.

-DAN

• Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    I separate out by brand, only to make it easier to find what I am looking for. But I got Maduros sitting next to Corojos next to Cameroons...you get the picture. That cheap box of Ghurkha HMR's is sitting by itself though :P
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    No, by brand. And currently I also have one humi that's got nothing but Padillas in it, and another with just 5 Vegas.
  • I'd just read somewhere recently to never ever put flavored cigars like Acid, Kahlua, Maker's Mark, etc.. in the same humidor with regular cigars. Any truth to this? How much different are these 'flavored' from 'regular' cigars?
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    earthdragon:
    I'd just read somewhere recently to never ever put flavored cigars like Acid, Kahlua, Maker's Mark, etc.. in the same humidor with regular cigars. Any truth to this? How much different are these 'flavored' from 'regular' cigars?
    Now you're talking about something completely different... and NO, you should never keep flavored and unflavored sticks together... These flavored cigars are either infused (ala Acid) or dipped with flavors... Either way, the flavoring that's added is so strong that it certainly CAN impart flavors on other cigars...
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    earthdragon:
    I'd just read somewhere recently to never ever put flavored cigars like Acid, Kahlua, Maker's Mark, etc.. in the same humidor with regular cigars. Any truth to this? How much different are these 'flavored' from 'regular' cigars?

Yes I was going to bring this point up as well. You definately do NOT want to store the flavored cigars with your other cigars. These cigars being infused or flavored by other method are VERY defferent from regular cigars and the different flavors being very strong will ruin the true flavor of your regular sticks. Keep them apart in a separaete humi.
  • sanesane Posts: 151
    I like to separate by body.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I don't necessarily separate by type. I do separate by brand and size to make them easier to find. I DO have the Grand Reserves and LXIII Platinum Reserves in the same Humidor but they are in glass cases and sealed so I do not see that as being a problem.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Segregation didn't work back then on a large scale... I just assume it won't work in my Humi either
  • the only thing i know some do is separate wrappers. Some, like Maduro's, smoke better at a lower RH then, say, Connecticut. Personally I have on for nothing but Gurkha's, another with CAO's, the rest are just thrown wherever i find room.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Segregation didn't work back then on a large scale... I just assume it won't work in my Humi either
    lol, nicely put. I didn't know about mixing the flavored cigars.. I have a box of kahluas which I was going to put with my others but might not now..
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I wouldn't, Phoebe. I got one as a freebie a while back. I keep it in my backup humi, by itself.
    One thing I have noticed since my old humidor was damaged and while I'm seasoning my new one is that the gurkha grand reserves sure do overpower the smell of a regular cigar. I have about 25 of them in a tubidor along with a few other cigars and whenever I open the thing, I get a nice smell of Cognac. I'm wondering if I should put them in another humi along with the kahluas..
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i wouldnt. youll just end up with a bunch of non-infused cigars not tasting the way they should. the infused cigars will be fine, but the non-infused cigars will not taste how the blender intended.
    phobicsquirrel:
    One thing I have noticed since my old humidor was damaged and while I'm seasoning my new one is that the gurkha grand reserves sure do overpower the smell of a regular cigar. I have about 25 of them in a tubidor along with a few other cigars and whenever I open the thing, I get a nice smell of Cognac. I'm wondering if I should put them in another humi along with the kahluas..
    Are your grand reserves inthe glass tubes? I have 6 or 7 and I do not get that smell at all.
    Yeah they are tubed. None are cracked or anything..
    Strange. I took one out last night and I can't smell *** through the tube. It still has the wax on it. I am giving one to a friend. I'll have to keep a closer eye on them though.
    I put several GR in my humi today, and I made sure to give them a good sniff, some of them seem to have it coming from the waxed end. I'm not sure if it is because they weren't sealed well enough or what, but some have a stronger odor than others. I'm hoping the ones I put in my humi won't do any harm as they were almost odorless.
    After a few hours I opened up my humi and with the 15 or so I put in, I was getting a hint of odor... I just might have to put them in a different humi..