Home Ratings & Reviews

Rocky PAtel Sungrown

Just had my first one. I tend to enjoy everything Rocky does and this is no exception. MMM mmm what a yummy cigar. I only had 3 months of age on it. I have one more I wanna try to put a year on.... but i dunno if I can wait that long :-)

Comments

• been very temped to try some of these along with some of the vintage sticks ive heard good things so i think i will give them a shot
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Love these cigars, got a bunch during the specials everybody ran for these
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Had one that was very bitter on the finish and not as much spice as I was expecting. I still want to revisit cuz I hear nothing but good things.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    The vintage 1990s and 1992s are quite tastey as well.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Big T smokes:
    Just had my first one. I tend to enjoy everything Rocky does and this is no exception. MMM mmm what a yummy cigar. I only had 3 months of age on it. I have one more I wanna try to put a year on.... but i dunno if I can wait that long :-)
    I had 10 of these that I have been aging, they have almost a year and a half on them now and smoked one the other day and was very pleased. I think they age nicely along with the Maduro Olde World Reserve.

"Long ashes my friends."

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The sungrown is one of my favorite Rocky Patel smokes. I had one a few weeks ago with well over a year on it and it was smooth and delicious, although I don't think that much age is necessary to really get a nice age/rest effect, 6 months would probably do. The cool thing with these is that they are available in RP variety packs for about $3/each all the time.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    I don't think that much age is necessary to really get a nice age/rest effect
    I absolutely agree with this. I have had some with as little as 2-3 weeks, and some up to a year and a half and they have been pretty great at both extremes. I might even be so bold as to say it was better when it was more fresh. Around 3-6 months is just about perfect IMO.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The RP SG is a great stick IMO
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    lilwing88:
    Had one that was very bitter on the finish and not as much spice as I was expecting. I still want to revisit cuz I hear nothing but good things.
    Same thing happened to me. I just got another from ccom about a year ago and I plan on having it soon. They usually get good reviews so I'm assuming we just had a bad stick or one that was recently rolled.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    This was one I tried early on when I started this hobby and it and the Vintage 92 got me hooked! I didn't have one for about a year or so and when I revisited it a few months ago and really enjoyed it still.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I traded and got some RP OSG (Original Sun Grown) few months ago, and have to say these smokes are very, very good. Little different than the current blend, IMO a little better. They have a few years of age on them since they aren't made anymore. They are maturing very nicely.

"Long ashes my friends."

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    undulac:
    lilwing88:
    Same thing happened to me. I just got another from ccom about a year ago and I plan on having it soon. They usually get good reviews so I'm assuming we just had a bad stick or one that was recently rolled.
    Definitely give this one another go fellas - hate to see people miss out on a great stick just because they got one bummer.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    You should definetly try again! I had a couple of these with problems, but it was probably bad handling on my part, all the rest have been marvelous from light to nub.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain