Home Non Cigar Related

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
i decided to run next year's Akron Marathon. it should be the last weekend of september.

anyone ever run one before?

anyone wanna run this one with me?

its only 26.2 miles. im aiming to finish in 3:45is

Comments

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    awesome! something I will never do but very cool
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    My coworkers doing the Marine Corps. Marathon this year.
    Sounds like it's fun, but I'd rather be the slow weight lifting type.
    Good luck.

• smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i decided to run next year's Akron Marathon. it should be the last weekend of september.

Best of luck to you. I ran a 10k last March and have barely run since..lol
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    ive got an old girlfriend that lives in Dayton that is a WORLD CLass Team USA Triathalon Member, her husband is an Olympic cyclist... they live in Dayton..... if you need help, i also have a freind in Cleveland that runs all those marathons..... are you going to do it with a Stoogie hanging out of your Mouth! That would be COOOOOOL!
  • I done ATL this year and doing it again next year as well as tough mudder.

Lets just say the training is worst than the event. Work up slowly, run a little 5-6 days a week even if you don't want to. Better to run 2 miles than nothing. build up the long runs over time. I do mine on sundays because i have enough time to run for 2-3 hours. during the week my longest run is 6 miles.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Redtailhawkoz:
    are you going to do it with a Stoogie hanging out of your Mouth! That would be COOOOOOL!
    ...no but ill have some ridiculous cigar waiting for me post race.

rossdavey2:
    I done ATL this year and doing it again next year as well as tough mudder.

Lets just say the training is worst than the event. Work up slowly, run a little 5-6 days a week even if you don't want to. Better to run 2 miles than nothing. build up the long runs over time. I do mine on sundays because i have enough time to run for 2-3 hours. during the week my longest run is 6 miles.
    what kind of time do you shoot for in the marathon?

today i did a strength day... not so much a distance day. yesterday was about 4 miles. today was one jogging mile in to a specific part of the trail that has 120 consecutive steps where i stopped stretched out and ran up the steps 5 times. (600 steps) then a mile out. tomorrow will be a 3-4 mile day. day after will be an off day. i need to map out more courses so i better know who far i am going on any given day.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    If you go on runnersworld.com they really have some good advice - also in their training section you can enter how hard you'd like to train, what day you want to be your long run day, etc... and they map out a workout plan for you for up to 16 weeks. I tend to stick with this because I run a lot of 5k's and I have noticed a nice progression.
    shamrocked:
    If you go on runnersworld.com they really have some good advice - also in their training section you can enter how hard you'd like to train, what day you want to be your long run day, etc... and they map out a workout plan for you for up to 16 weeks. I tend to stick with this because I run a lot of 5k's and I have noticed a nice progression.
    though this is a good idea, i wont be able to have a "long day" every week. my work schedule changed from week to week. i dont have a set day off. im not sure how much this will help. basically i will run as many times as i can a week. this will average 5 times a week. sometimes more. sometimes less. i want 1 or 2 long days depending. since its so early in the game, just getting out is still huge. im getting it part of my routine.
  • kuzi16:
    rossdavey2:
    I done ATL this year and doing it again next year as well as tough mudder.

what kind of time do you shoot for in the marathon?

today i did a strength day... not so much a distance day. yesterday was about 4 miles. today was one jogging mile in to a specific part of the trail that has 120 consecutive steps where i stopped stretched out and ran up the steps 5 times. (600 steps) then a mile out. tomorrow will be a 3-4 mile day. day after will be an off day. i need to map out more courses so i better know who far i am going on any given day.
    Last year I signed up for the run 3 months before it was set to go. Having not run since I was in the marines I just wanted to finish. I got in at 4:15 this year I'm going for 3:30. I do sprint training once a week. sprint as fast as I can for 45 sec then walk 90 sec till I have covered 2 miles. Hurts like hell, but really helps in the long runs. The step thing you do is pretty much the same idea.

when I started training I hadn't run in 4 years. Trust me if I can do it you can. It does help to get a few friends to help out. Maybe someone to run with, and someone to help get your butt out the door when all you want to do is be a sloth.
    rossdavey2:
    I do sprint training once a week. sprint as fast as I can for 45 sec then walk 90 sec till I have covered 2 miles. Hurts like hell, but really helps in the long runs. The step thing you do is pretty much the same idea.
    when i ran CC in high school we had a sprint day. we would jog very slowly to the track (about a mile). then we would stretch out. next we would do a timed quarter mile (once around the track). then we would triple that time. so if you ran it in 1:01 you would have 3:03. we would be then doing 5 more quarter miles that day that you run at 90%. when you start running, you start your clock. you'd have 3:03 till you start your next one. run the quarter. recover as best you can. as you do more quarters, your time gets slower and your recovery time gets shorter. that last one SUCKS. then we would run home slowly as a cool down and stretch out again.
  • kuzi16:
    rossdavey2:
    I do sprint training once a week. sprint as fast as I can for 45 sec then walk 90 sec till I have covered 2 miles. Hurts like hell, but really helps in the long runs. The step thing you do is pretty much the same idea.
    when i ran CC in high school we had a sprint day. we would jog very slowly to the track (about a mile). then we would stretch out. next we would do a timed quarter mile (once around the track). then we would triple that time. so if you ran it in 1:01 you would have 3:03. we would be then doing 5 more quarter miles that day that you run at 90%. when you start running, you start your clock. you'd have 3:03 till you start your next one. run the quarter. recover as best you can. as you do more quarters, your time gets slower and your recovery time gets shorter. that last one SUCKS. then we would run home slowly as a cool down and stretch out again.
    I need to try it like that. Sounds like it would hurt, but then again nothing about training is ever fun.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    kuzi16:

hahaha, good for you man. I've done a bunch of halfs over the years and love those. 13.1 is a good distance for my taste. I did run the San Diego Rock and Roll full Marathon once a few years back though, and am comfortable saying that 26.2, is waaaaaaaaaaaay too long for me. figured that out in the second half. haha. The first half of the race went awesome. sub 7 min pace. then the second half set in and I realized how much longer I had to go. In the last 5 miles I got passed my a team of 5 elvis' pushing a baby stroller with a stereo in it. haha. Safe to say I will never run 26.2 miles again, but I'm training for another half this november.

Good luck though man, its good to see other cigar smokers running. I have a few crazy Triathalon buddies who think i'm nuts for smoking and a few smoking buddies who think i'm nuts for running.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Good luck! I've always said if you ever see me running down the road, better turn around and head the same way cause something big, scary, and mean is chasing my ass!
    boydmcgowan:
    I have a few crazy Triathalon buddies who think i'm nuts for smoking and a few smoking buddies who think i'm nuts for running.
    this about sums my list of friends up as well. most are against the running though. a few are against the smoking.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:

Good luck,
    Why 3:45? Is that the auto qualify for the next race?

My sister ran Boston in 4:04 and missed the auto qualify by 4 minutes.

Fourtotheflush:

cos its 5 min faster than Peter Weller, the guy who played Robocop (3:51:26.)...

if it wasnt my first marathon then i would shoot to beat John Edwards, who had a time of 3:30:18
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I ran the Rock N Roll in San Diego back in '02. It was a blast and as mentioned earlier, the training was tougher. Good luck, I'm sure you will have fun. One thing to remember, don't change anything before hand - shoes, socks, clothes. Keep it the same.
    james40:
    One thing to remember, don't change anything before hand - shoes, socks, clothes. Keep it the same.
    about a month before the race i was gunna get a new pair of shoes so i know they are broken in. i never would have thought about the socks or clothes.... good tip.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    26.2? That's what motorcycles are for!!!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    Fourtotheflush:

cos its 5 min faster than Peter Weller, the guy who played Robocop (3:51:26.)...

if it wasnt my first marathon then i would shoot to beat John Edwards, who had a time of 3:30:18
    The politician?
  • I need to get my lathargic ass out and start running again. My lungs and ankle are going to be very, very angry with me.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I think this is AWESOME kuz! Make sure to remind us all a couple months beforehand so we can get out to Akron to support you!

uh oh... knees started to hurt today. gotta get a day or two off to recover. hope this isnt bad news bears.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    uh oh... knees started to hurt today. gotta get a day or two off to recover. hope this isnt bad news bears.
    Not trying to be a scare mongerer here Kuzi, but there was an article on the news today about the negative effects of marathon running on your heart. This is particularly true if the runner is not very experienced with running.

I don't know your exact level of experience Kuzi, I just thought I would mention it. Here is a link for you if you are interested.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/10/22/marathon-heart-damage.html
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Hope your knees are just sore and aren't injured kuz. There's no way in heck I'd be able to run a marathon, I break out into a sweat just thinking about it.
  • Hows it going man? Have you been road running or on the grass? Major diffrence to the impact on the old knees.

Work got me so busy this last month I only ran once or twice. Started again this morning and it was tough getting back in the grove.
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    Not trying to be a scare mongerer here Kuzi, but there was an article on the news today about the negative effects of marathon running on your heart. This is particularly true if the runner is not very experienced with running.

I don't know your exact level of experience Kuzi, I just thought I would mention it. Here is a link for you if you are interested.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/10/22/marathon-heart-damage.html
    i was an avid runner for years. just let myself go for the last few years. i really only plan on one marathon just to say i could do it.
    ill keep running after that but i wont be racking up the miles like i am training for this thing.
    Garen B:
    Hope your knees are just sore and aren't injured kuz. There's no way in heck I'd be able to run a marathon, I break out into a sweat just thinking about it.
    i hope the same. i feel better this morning and instead of running today im gunna take it easy for the next two then have a light day and see how it goes.
    rossdavey2:
    Hows it going man? Have you been road running or on the grass? Major diffrence to the impact on the old knees.

Work got me so busy this last month I only ran once or twice. Started again this morning and it was tough getting back in the grove.
    a bit on and a bit off road. there are a few coursed that ive been running. unfortunately the longer days are on the road.

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Good luck Kuzi! I'm like Hannibal I like lifting instead....lol