Home Non Cigar Related

Tubes? Ear tubes that is.

Any of you know much about this? Just got back from the ENT with my 18 month old and they want him to get tubes. He has had fluid behind his ears almost every DR visit and they thought it was hampering his hearing thus his talking. Turns out there is some hearing loss due to the fluid. They seem confident about it but the thought of a baby getting put under FREAKS me out.

Comments

• Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Do a little research and I believe you will find that in little ones that are particularly susceptible to ear infections this is a definite recommended procedure to hlep with the fluid draining and keeping his ear healthy. I understand the idea of having your child put under freaks you out... I watched my son being put under for a circumcision when he was about seven...I almost passed out and started to hit the doctor. (My son was actually fighting the gas they were using to put him under...) But your concern is understandable but be very comfortable with the risks of putting a child under, so to speak....
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I don't really remember it, but I had tubes in my ears when I was little. Didn't have any problems but I can understand being nervous... I have a 2 year old and something like that would scare me too.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    My daughter had them put in just before she turned two (she's almost 5). She had a double ear infections every month for about a year and we decided to get the tubes. It is a quick procedure. When they took her from us, we were back with her in recovery in less than 15 minutes and home 20 minutes after that. She was a little groggy the next hour or so from the twilight but was fine by lunch. Just need tylenol the first day. By dinner, you never knew what happened. She was constantly on antibiotics and ear drops with fevers. Since that day, three years now, she has had one fever and zero ear infections and the tubes were taken out at almost two years ago now. The doctor did it and she had no clue. It was the best thing in the world for her. In fact, my nephew just has them put in on Wednesday of this week. As a parent, you are alway nervous. My sister is a doctor and she would tell me that there is not a simpler procedure in the medical field than this. In fact the only reason the put the kids under is because the cry and wiggle. When adults get them, the do it right in the office. Very safe and VERY EFFECTIVE. Any more questions, let me know.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Undulac gives you some pretty input here, and I encourage you to take his advice. If you need any further encouragement, I'll leave you with this: I was born with open eardrums. When I was very young, the doctors encouraged my parents to put tubes in my ears, and they did... Due to this, my ear infections decreased (not entirely, but that was due to the further ear problems that I personally had). However, it ended up not being quite enough for my left ear, and by the time I'd had both eardrums replaced, infections had destroyed most of the parts of that ear that process sound - now, I am deaf in my left ear. If the doctors tell you your daughter needs tubes, and that they will stop the infections, please do it.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    Hays:
    Undulac gives you some pretty input here, and I encourage you to take his advice. If you need any further encouragement, I'll leave you with this: I was born with open eardrums. When I was very young, the doctors encouraged my parents to put tubes in my ears, and they did... Due to this, my ear infections decreased (not entirely, but that was due to the further ear problems that I personally had). However, it ended up not being quite enough for my left ear, and by the time I'd had both eardrums replaced, infections had destroyed most of the parts of that ear that process sound - now, I am deaf in my left ear. If the doctors tell you your daughter needs tubes, and that they will stop the infections, please do it.
    Thats pretty much what the Dr told me. Her nephew had fluid behind his ears that was never corrected and it severely damaged his hearing and had to have multiple surgeries. Sorry to hear about the hell you went through Hays. I'm actually scheduling it today. Oct 25 is the target date, also my BDay but with my wifes travel due to work it works best. NOT my ideal Bday watching my son have surgery but if it will help him we need to do it.
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    my ENT guy that did my 2 sinus surgeries do the ear tubes thing on infants all the time. Hes great. As said before, real fast. Simple.
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    Just scheduled it. Sucks also gonna cost me $2k but hey the deductible will be met. There goes my bday present to myself.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Don't sweat it. Both my nieces had them put in due to constant ear infections. It's no picnic for the kid, but the long term benefits far outweigh the short term headaches (no pun intended).
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I had a cousin who had them with no problems and huge gains.