Home Ratings & Reviews

LFD Airbender Matatan

docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
LA FLOR DOMINICANA AIR BENDER
5x50 "Matatan"

This standard robusto features a beautiful, very oily, milk chocolate colored wrapper. The band has an attractive, not overly complex, middle-eastern-invoking design, with a sort of "Greek Key" around the edge, and crossed scimitars on either side of the typical LFD logo.

The pack is very firm, with only a very few miniscule softer spots, on an otherwise rock hard stick. The seams are visible, but very tight, which I guess means a thicker wrapper leaf. The filler is bunched in a very attractive, uniform pattern, that reminds me of an accordion. The body gives off a smell of cedar and spice. The foot however, offers a very unique combination of raisins and toast, which I really hope are apparent in some way in the smoke.

Prelight draw brings a fruitiness, as well as a pretty heavy spice and pepper across the palette. Slight burn on the front of the tongue. There is also a dry oak flavor right on the draw.

Lit at 1:08pm.

Draw is fairly firm, right off the bat. Smoke production is light, but acceptable. There is a strong oak flavor, and a significant amount of pepper and heat on the palette. Had a little difficulty lighting, but that is mostly due to the fact that I am using a natural flame, and it is fairly windy out. Smoke is chewy and dark gray in color. Retrohale through the nose gives a little bit of cinnamon that was not noticeable otherwise.

Despite a crooked start, it has corrected itself to a perfect, razor sharp burn line by an inch in. Ash holds firm at over an inch and a half. Halfway through the first third the pepper and heat has all but disappeared. There is a fantastic leather flavor, as well as rich oak, which has only become more apparent as it burns. Strength is a medium at most, but the flavors are off the chart. Rarely have I smoked a cigar that is as rich on the palette. Going great so far.

Checking in at the halfway point, and the flavors haven't changed a whole lot. Still heavy on leather and oak, with a really rich finish. Lasts almost the entire time between draws. Ash is tight, and a beautiful, bright white, with even black rings about the thickness of a dime all the way around.

At the start of the first third, it is obvious that the filler is getting warm, as a creamy nut flavor and texture take over, with the wood and leather falling back to just be the dominating flavors on the finish, which is still a pretty lengthy one. Burn is getting a little wavy, requiring a few touch ups. Still drawing fine, still cool and smooth though. Strength has also ramped up a fair amount in the last third. Getting a little bit of that nicotine shakiness. Getting a little too hot to hold. Smoke is still not that hot. Put a clip in it to keep smoking at 2:52pm. Cannot believe how long this smoke is lasting. In addition to the creamy nut flavor there is an interesting toast flavor similar to the aroma the foot was giving off before lighting.

Finally ended at 3:00pm, for a total burn time just shy of two hours, which for a 5x50 blew me away. No problems during the entire smoke, and great flavors all around. Highly recommended. Can't wait to try some of the other vitolas. Will Definitely be grabbing a box.

Comments

• fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    BEAUTIFUL STICK. does that have the heavy ligero in it. those kick my ass
  • gio164gio164 Posts: 180
    Does Cigar.com carry these?
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    gio164:
    Give them a call or send them an email. Chances are they will even though it's not listed on the site.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    gio164:
    Never asked, my B&M has them for a reasonable price. I would call though, as I have a feeling they carry, or at least occasionally stock a lot more LFD than they list on the site (next to nothing as you can see...)
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Great review doc! Keep it up.

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Nice review. I just had one of these and was great. I also couldn't believe how long it lasted. Nice slow burn. Very rich, well like you said in the review. Absolutely box worthy. Now to try the rest of the LFD line.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Take a look at the cigar brand listing, everything in Airbender is in stock here...
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    gio164:
    Never asked, my B&M has them for a reasonable price. I would call though, as I have a feeling they carry, or at least occasionally stock a lot more LFD than they list on the site (next to nothing as you can see...)
    Dude we gotta get together sometime and have a few sticks brother.
    smoke em if you got em:
    docbp87:
    gio164:
    Dude we gotta get together sometime and have a few sticks brother.
    Absolutely.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    this is a good vitola for this blend... then again they all are a good vitola. its just a good blend.

only one size i havent had: the lancero

the chisel is my favorite so far.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    this is a good vitola for this blend... then again they all are a good vitola. its just a good blend.

I thought the lancero was the weakest representation of this blend, both the matatan, poderoso and guerrero were more full flavored and well balanced. I really like lanceros, but this blend just didn't work in that vitola. Given the way the corona sized one performed, I'd like to see this blend as either a corona gorda or lonsdale.
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:

I thought the lancero was the weakest representation of this blend, both the matatan, poderoso and guerrero were more full flavored and well balanced. I really like lanceros, but this blend just didn't work in that vitola. Given the way the corona sized one performed, I'd like to see this blend as either a corona gorda or lonsdale.
    Interesting. I could see this being a really good smoke in a CG, since, in my experience, the robusto and corona sizes were pretty different, but both excellent. This is just a good smoke all around.
    docbp87:
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:

Interesting. I could see this being a really good smoke in a CG, since, in my experience, the robusto and corona sizes were pretty different, but both excellent. This is just a good smoke all around.
    I just got in some of the Maestro which is a corona Gorda or Robusto Extra 5.5x52. Has anyone tried these?
    Fourtotheflush:
    docbp87:
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:

I just got in some of the Maestro which is a corona Gorda or Robusto Extra 5.5x52. Has anyone tried these?
    Corona Gorda is 5 5/8 x 46. That definitely is a Robusto Extra or something.
    different companies call the same size different things... there is no rhyme or reason to it. no science.
    docbp87:
    Fourtotheflush:
    docbp87:
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:

Corona Gorda is 5 5/8 x 46. That definitely is a Robusto Extra or something.
    Yeah, they get around that by calling it a maestro! but the all sizes are pretty much subject to interpretation by the manufacturers. Ive seen toros in between 5.75 - 6.25 and 47-50 ring guage. And the ruination comes in two robusto sizes. so there you go. But back to my question, has anyone tried the Maestro?
    it really isnt that much different than the Matatan. its the one i used to buy all the time before the chisel came out.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    AWESOME review Doc! I'm attending an LFD event (hopefully) not long from now, and I will have to keep an eye out for this stick. I don't think I've had anything from LFD yet, so it should be a fun event.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    After my experience with the DL chisel, I went and ordered a box of the matatans. I still want to taste the air bender chisel though. Too bad ccom doesn't have 'em on the site.
    kuzi16:
    it really isnt that much different than the Matatan. its the one i used to buy all the time before the chisel came out.
    Ive had the Matatan and loved it. I couldnt pass up the deal I got on these though!
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm excited to try this cigar. I ordered the Guerrero size yesterday.