Home Cigar 101

dry cigar indication

ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
Like most illnesses of the body, cigars are similar in that we tend to over-react to issues when something is very important to us. So even though there might a problem, I am not 100% certain, but I THINK the cigars in my office humi are too dry. I noticed that my hygrometer was reading 62% and I touched up my beads, but the past 2 cigars I have had out of it, have an acrid/slightly bitter taste to them. But that is really the only sign that something is wrong. Not a very large sample size and both of them burned normally. My question is, is an acrid/bitter taste a warning sign of dryness even if the cigar burns and looks/feels good?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i notice the same thing when my cigars get below 64%
    for the last few months ive been keeping my cigars at 66-68% instead of the 65% i used to. cigars have been tasting better and the burn is unchanged from 65%
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Damn Kuzi....(can i say that?)...I have been working very hard to get all my humis down from 70% to where you were keeping yours to get a better burn and aging. Now you reverse courses on me...I had also been working to get my thermidors and cooleridors down also. I kind of think now 70% is where I should try to equalize all of them. So maybe 70% could still be a little high, whereas 65% may be a bit low. To get to the 66-68% range is being really precise, especially trying to maintain that control knowing that winter is just around the corner.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yeah... i have 65% beads.... so keeping mine up to that is a bit of a challenge. i just found that 65% leaves no wiggle room for humidity loss.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Now I am thinking my best bet is to try to maintain or get back to the 70% area..that makes seasonal fluctuation easier to deal wirth and wiggle room--I think...
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hawk55:
    Now I am thinking my best bet is to try to maintain or get back to the 70% area..that makes seasonal fluctuation easier to deal wirth and wiggle room--I think...
    I agree, now that the weather is getting colder, I have to watch and maintain my humidors a lot more closely. I am trying for 70+ a little wiggle room upward as well
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I have quite a few bead but last winter, even with a quarter pound of bead in my hundred count, I couldn't keep the humi above 60. I called ccom and ordered quite a few humi pillows and just threw them in there. Now I have about 20+ just from orders that I keep in Tupperware and once I see the humi drop, I'll charge them and toss them in all winter long.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    I've got 70% beads in all my humi's in my basement and all of them stay right at 68% no matter what. Works out perfect.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    All my maduros burn so much better when I keep them 62%. Realy have not had a "acid" or "bitter" taist to them. Guess ill bump them up a couple % and see if they do any better.